POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (WEST) ROUND 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
Ok, with the new 'WEAKEST LINK' I will be staying with music and bands. However this time we will debate the greatest American Band.

Now since there are so many that limiting it to 10 would only cause chaos and confusion. I have decided to spread this 'Weakest Link' out into 4 different Polls. These polls will be identified tournament style as East, South, West, and North. I have tried to keep some cohesion with the band and geographic poll they are placed in, but couldn't do it for all. These polls WILL be occurring at the same time, so you will need to place votes in all 4 polls for each round. I did this so it wouldn't take so long to complete.

Each of the 4 polls will be narrowed down to the final 2, then I will take the 2 from each poll and make a Championship poll with 8 bands.

Alright, so here go. Lets determine the GREATEST AMERICAN BAND. WEST REGION

You are going to pick the band that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) bands with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 2.

The Beach Boys
Van Halen
The Doors
Eagles
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Sly & the Family Stone
Metallica
Guns N' Roses
Grateful Dead

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of AMERICAN BANDS - (WEST) ROUND 1 55 votes

The Beach Boys
12%
goldrushcutzmickeyratAW124797Asterisk on the Street1ThoughtKnownultrapig 7 votes
Van Halen
5%
Spiritual_Chaos23scidooHughFreakingDillon 3 votes
The Doors
9%
2-feign-reluctanceTim Simmonsjjflashjpayne1976joe159 5 votes
Eagles
21%
CantKeepmedownmfc2006Yefastatic111GlowGirlRS151862dankindbrewdog123brianluxHobbestempo_n_grooveOffSheGoes35 12 votes
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
3%
pjhawksJumb0 2 votes
Creedence Clearwater Revival
3%
Poncierpjl44 2 votes
Sly & the Family Stone
20%
darwinstheorymcgruff10Ledbetterman10ComeToTXBrainofBGAEA5429RP112579Kearn5yNSLwilliscummingsbbiggs 11 votes
Metallica
3%
erebuseddiec 2 votes
Guns N' Roses
3%
DC29940ed243421 2 votes
Grateful Dead
16%
mr bungletbergspledgeagrievanceHesCalledDyerJohnny AbruzzoBLACK35eeriepadaveF Me In The BrainPJ_Soul 9 votes

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421
    The Beach Boys
    feels like the cruel belong here.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    The Doors
    Lotta heavy hitters in this group. No glaring weak links.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The Doors
    Damn. It was like deciding which of my fingers to cut off. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Metallica
    Tough start, but I like GnR more than Metallica.
  • Eagles
    And you chose the middle fingers?

;)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The Doors
    And you chose the middle fingers?

;)
    Yeah, pretty well useless in my life! Haha!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2021
    Grateful Dead
    I could have gone three ways on this... but I guess the Dead are the most painful to listen to because their songs go on and on and on... or at least it feels like they do, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Van Halen
    Van Halen is nothing
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Eagles
    Fly, fly away, Eagles!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Van Halen
    Honestly - Hotel California is the most epic song ever written.

Tol bad the drummer wanted to drug up naked 15-year olds in his home. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Grateful Dead
    One of the bands I just cant listen to. Like ever
    Eagles
    One of the bands I just cant listen to. Like ever

A lot of people who don't like the long extended jams of the Dead have found the song oriented American Beauty and Workingman's Dead to be a whole other ball of... I mean disc of wax, myself included.  I love those two albums, find the rest just tedious.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• The Beach Boys
    The Beach Boys sound like awful children’s music to me.
    Eagles

Even Pet Sounds?
    Or here, try this one:

• The Beach Boys
    brianlux said:

Even Pet Sounds?
    Or here, try this one:

Nope. Not into any of it. Pet Sounds is the most overrated record in history imo. 
    Eagles
    brianlux said:

Even Pet Sounds?
    Or here, try this one:

Nope. Not into any of it. Pet Sounds is the most overrated record in history imo. 

Wow, well OK than, haha.  Fooled a damn lotta people, didn't it?!
    By the way, Trader is not from Pet Sounds.  Did you listen to it?

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited November 2021
    Grateful Dead
    Be dead! Not a fan at all. Every other band on this list has hits I enjoy. Sly is great, but not enough hits. Same with CSNY. Beach Boys are ok. Doors were solid, but career is too short. I personally really liked the Eagles....greatest hits albums. GnR, not enough in the catalog. Early Van Halen dominates, but then sporadic. A lot of great CCR songs, but no one else on this list made anything even close to as masterful as Master of Puppets. Metallica's run of metal albums in the 80's is outstanding and I really liked Load and the over rated, but still good, black album. Easy pick for me in the end.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Metallica
    Damn. 
    I'd have the Dead in my top 5 American bands, probably top 3.
    The older I get, the more I listen to them.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Grateful Dead
    Apparently there's this new "debate" about who's better - Beach Boys or Beatles. Seriously, people are surprised when I say - um, Beatles. By like 8 trillion miles. What is happening?!?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Apparently there's this new "debate" about who's better - Beach Boys or Beatles. Seriously, people are surprised when I say - um, Beatles. By like 8 trillion miles. What is happening?!?
    I am actually surprised I haven't seen a thread about the "Get Back" documentary..... I am going to submerge myself in nothing but Beatles this whole holiday weekend.

This thing looks AMAZING
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auta2lagtw4
  • Van Halen
    MedozK said:
    I am actually surprised I haven't seen a thread about the "Get Back" documentary..... I am going to submerge myself in nothing but Beatles this whole holiday weekend.

This thing looks AMAZING
    "Looks" like trash. Plasticy and artifical with whatever DNR Jackson applied to make it look... modern(?). 

Compare:

https://youtu.be/AjStytdhgdw

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    MedozK said:

This thing looks AMAZING
    "Looks" like trash. Plasticy and artifical with whatever DNR Jackson applied to make it look... modern(?). 

Compare:

Trash or not... I'm excited and will be watching. I will definitely by the Blu-ray when its released.
  • Eagles
    MedozK said:

This thing looks AMAZING

Compare:

Isn't this called 4k nowadays?

People are going to love this.  Only the artsy fartsy /you're doing it wrong crowd won't like it.

Anyone notice a very young Mick Jagger in the background?  Or is that Buster Poindexter?
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Van Halen
    Grateful Dead for winners!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Eagles
    This one was easy for me....the next round will be tough
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Eagles

I don't know about any such debate being new.  The Beatles/Beach Boys rivalry/mutual admiration has been talked about for many years.  If you do a little research, you'll see this is very much the case and you will find a lot of information to support the fact that these two band were on a competitive par and highly respectful of each other. 
    One of the key well known particulars here is that The Beatles Rubber Soul album inspired Pet Sounds and in return, Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Pepper's. 
    Another is that the first time Paul McCartney heard "God Only Knows", he was in tears and said that song became his favorite song in all of music history.

Nothing new here, Johnny.  Just the facts.

• The Beach Boys
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Even Pet Sounds?
    Or here, try this one:

Wow, well OK than, haha.  Fooled a damn lotta people, didn't it?!
    By the way, Trader is not from Pet Sounds.  Did you listen to it?

Yes blux.  Appreciate it and enjoy being exposed to different music, but the Beeyotch Boys just aren’t my thing. Like any Christmas music not done by Boney M 😂
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Grateful Dead
    brianlux said:

I don't know about any such debate being new.  The Beatles/Beach Boys rivalry/mutual admiration has been talked about for many years.  If you do a little research, you'll see this is very much the case and you will find a lot of information to support the fact that these two band were on a competitive par and highly respectful of each other. 
    One of the key well known particulars here is that The Beatles Rubber Soul album inspired Pet Sounds and in return, Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Pepper's. 
    Another is that the first time Paul McCartney heard "God Only Knows", he was in tears and said that song became his favorite song in all of music history.

Fine The Beach Boys have an album that competes with The Beatles' albums. It's still not close. I think Pet Sounds inspired Revolver and then Brian Wilson gave up and had a mental health collapse, or something like that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Eagles
    brianlux said:

Fine The Beach Boys have an album that competes with The Beatles' albums. It's still not close. I think Pet Sounds inspired Revolver and then Brian Wilson gave up and had a mental health collapse, or something like that.

If you don't like the Beach Boys, that's cool.  We all have differing tastes.  I don't care for A Tribe Called Quest but I do acknowledge their brilliance. 
    The Beach Boys and the Beatles were two different bands.  I never really understood the rivalry thing.  I always like them both for different reasons.  And whether one likes them or not, I believe that at the very least, besides Pet Sounds, that The Beach Boys Today!, Holland, and Surf's Up are all excellent albums worthy of the high praise many give them.
    As an aside, I guess what kind of bothers me about all the recent polls are a lot of harsh criticisms some here are making toward music they don't like.  Look at the one that includes Kiss.  Harsh!  I don't care for Kiss at all.  But I love The Replacements and they covered a Kiss song, so there you go.  It's all just a matter of taste. 
    I guess for me, talking about music is all about the things I love about certain artists or bands, acknowledging the attributes of some that maybe I don't like, but never about making harsh criticisms about music that doesn't work for me.  No one makes me listen to music I dislike, so why would I refer to it as "bad music"?  It's music.  To me, all music is good and the existence of music is a one of the most sacred and beautiful aspects of this life.  I just don't care for all if it, but that makes it no less a wonderful thing.

• Van Halen
    brianlux said:

But I love The Replacements and they covered a Kiss song, so there you go.  It's all just a matter of taste. 
    https://youtu.be/yM9vCiB5Hkc
This discussion has been closed.