AstroWorld Festival Disaster

Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
https://abc13.com/amp/astroworld-festival-canceled-deaths-fatal-texas-concert/11203827/

8 people dead after the crowd surged forward during a Travis Scott performance.  The surge happened when Drake came on stage.

As we all know, this kind of thing has happened in the past.  Feel horrible for all of the victims and families involved.  

In 2021, there has to be a way that we can avoid this at large music festivals 
2010: Cleveland
2012: Atlanta
2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
2015: New York City
2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
2023: St. Paul II

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    Awful news 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Sick to my stomach reading this this morning. There are some vids out there earlier in the day that show a chaotic scene that security could not handle. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Damn awful news poor folks! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    PJNB said:
    Sick to my stomach reading this this morning. There are some vids out there earlier in the day that show a chaotic scene that security could not handle. 
    If that’s true, then it makes this entire thing even worse if they knew they had a crowd they couldn’t control and still decided to proceed 
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    PJNB said:
    If that’s true, then it makes this entire thing even worse if they knew they had a crowd they couldn’t control and still decided to proceed 
    There are videos of emergency vehicles trying to make their way through the crowd and people jumping on them.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    People are just awful
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    rush rush for what? 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    People are just awful
    And pigs. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    rush rush for what? 
    Not sure but he (Travis Scott) has a history of encouraging his fans to ignore the normal concert protocols.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    What in the actual fuck?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Those videos are tough to watch.
    Looked like mostly young people.
    There seemed to be ZERO organization. Security was just trying to trip people as they ran by. Farcical.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I read an article that said that there was an Astroworld concert in 2019 that had all the same security and gate issues, with people rushing the gates, forcing their way through and hopping over the turnstyles, though luckily no deaths. The organizers learned nothing from that experience. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    I had a lengthy comment ready to go but deleted it... I'm just really sad about all this.

Regardless of organization, genre, history, whatever - kids died here by just going to a concert.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Terrible for the family and friends of the kids who died.  Part of the blame is obviously security, but part of it also has to be on the behavior of the spectators.
    Personally, I don't get the appeal of that kind of show in the first place.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Do people run like that when the gates open for a pj show?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    edited November 2021
    rush rush for what? 
    I heard the same as the OP, not sure if it’s true, that the crowd came from another stage where someone just finished and they were trying to get to the front of the main stage for Drake…..only heard it once though and haven’t had time to reinvestigate but I will. 

I’ve been to many festivals and it happens but never that bad obviously.  Anyone at ACL when Eminem and PJ were there?  Thousands of us were stuck behind the Lorde crowd trying to get to the main stage…..it was difficult to breath because I’m only 5’1”.  It was a scary experience for sure. This is such a tragedy. 
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited November 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    Actually did remind me of Wrigley 13 after the rain delay. We were in the pit and they put us in the VIP backstage area for the delay. A few hours later when the all clear was given it was pretty bad, and people who were clearly not wearing a pit wristband were jumping the fence right in front of security and they didn’t even care at that point.
    Wasn’t this bad, but still crazy.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited November 2021
    mcgruff10 said:

These are people that are not paying trying to get through security for the most part it looks like. They are doing this with the blessing of the event organizer  and headliner Travis Scott. People definitely run more of a controlled manner for the PJ/EV fests I have been too. One person runs and everyone does. This is after scanning in though and not kick the front door down. 

Here is his tweet after the event sold out back in the spring. 

Travis Deleted Tweet travisscott
    Just got this email from my alma mater, Univ of Dayton

A UD student was sadly one of the 8 who passed at the festival

https://flyernews.com/campus/ud-community-mourns-two-student-deaths-in-one-week/11/06/2021/
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited November 2021
    When PJ played the Borgata I was about 5 deep on the floor when show started.  When after Long Road they started Porch and there was a huge push forward.  I had to grab the person in front of me’s shoulder and my feet briefly came off the ground,  for about 5 seconds I thought if I go down I’m gonna die.  My buddy and I headed more towards the back once things calmed down.  Since them I have zero interest in being anyway near the front in a GA crowd. It’s the only concert or sporting event where I feared for mr safety even if it was only for a few seconds.  It was scary for a short period.   For Sea Hear Now stood way in the Back.  It’s incredibly sad to hear about this happening and people losing their life because they went to a show and can’t imagine how those last minutes felt fur them.  Tragic.  Got to be devastating for their families.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I’ve seen a few videos of a massive rush towards the gates, knocking the fences and security gates over and some people getting trampled. I thought that was people leaving because they were scared.  I just realized all that was daylight, so was that people getting into the event, before all the deaths? That’s just crazy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    pjhawks said:
    When PJ played the Borgata I was about 5 deep on the floor when show started.  When after Long Road they started Porch and there was a huge push forward.  I had to grab the person in front of me’s shoulder and my feet briefly came off the ground,  for about 5 seconds I thought if I go down I’m gonna die.  My buddy and I headed more towards the back once things calmed down.  Since them I have zero interest in being anyway near the front in a GA crowd. It’s the only concert or sporting event where I feared for mr safety even if it was only for a few seconds.  It was scary for a short period.   For Sea Hear Now stood way in the Back.  It’s incredibly sad to hear about this happening and people losing their life because they went to a show and can’t imagine how those last minutes felt fur them.  Tragic.  Got to be devastating for their families.

Damn, dude!  Glad you got out of there alive!
    When I read accounts like yours, I'm surprised these kinds of tragic deaths don't occur more frequently. 
    When I saw Jimi Hendrix at Winterland, there was a surge when he came on that carried me up closer to the stage- maybe within about 20 feet of the stage- but with someone as popular as Jimi up there, it was merely slow surge and a snug fit, not a crush.  We had enough room to at least move and sway slightly. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

The only time I’ve ever felt uncomfortable at a PJ show was Randall’s Island shows specially in that muddy field! Having multiple stages going at the same time should be looked at and maybe stop doing that..
    Reports of fans and even security being injected with something during the show 

And apparently Travis Scott was told to stop performing and went on to play for an additional 37 minutes after

The details are getting weirder and weirder.  Ultimately, it’s up to Live Nation and Travis Scott to have control of the festival/situation and they horribly failed to do so, resulting in tragedy 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I'm really concerned about our young people. I've noticed that many have acquired a general "fuck everything" kind of attitude as we've returned to "normal" school this year. Trampling gates at a concert looks a lot like the destruction of bathrooms, the multiple fights a day that get celebrated through their online posting, the roaming through the halls in gang-like packs trying to evade teachers, just flat out refusing to do anything an adult asks them to do and not caring one bit about any consequence. It's been a rough couple of months for my middle schoolers.

I know the getting hurt at concerts stuff is not new or unique to this generation. The indifference to the suffering seems like it is.
  • I'm really concerned about our young people. I've noticed that many have acquired a general "fuck everything" kind of attitude as we've returned to "normal" school this year. Trampling gates at a concert looks a lot like the destruction of bathrooms, the multiple fights a day that get celebrated through their online posting, the roaming through the halls in gang-like packs trying to evade teachers, just flat out refusing to do anything an adult asks them to do and not caring one bit about any consequence. It's been a rough couple of months for my middle schoolers.

I know the getting hurt at concerts stuff is not new or unique to this generation. The indifference to the suffering seems like it is.
    No consequences for any offenders. That is the problem. Why worry if you know you won’t get in any real trouble.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    I'm really concerned about our young people. I've noticed that many have acquired a general "fuck everything" kind of attitude as we've returned to "normal" school this year. Trampling gates at a concert looks a lot like the destruction of bathrooms, the multiple fights a day that get celebrated through their online posting, the roaming through the halls in gang-like packs trying to evade teachers, just flat out refusing to do anything an adult asks them to do and not caring one bit about any consequence. It's been a rough couple of months for my middle schoolers.

No consequences for any offenders. That is the problem. Why worry if you know you won’t get in any real trouble.
    Bingo 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945

And well all go about our lives burning dead dinosaurs and fucking up the planet for them, even though we know better.

It's hard to separate the challenges of youth with current events.  There's always a percentage of youth's that were kind of shitty, but many grow out of it when they get older.   On the flip side we've left youth a dumpster fire of a planet.   That's got to create a level of hopelessness that's going to start impacting kids as they come to that realization.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’mwhat dreams said:

That’s where one’s conscience and personal integrity (should) come in.