Options

San Francisco 3

PresIntensePresIntense Posts: 33
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
For all of you out there I was lucky enough to share the floor with. I have now listened to the show 7 times since downloading it on thursday. I don't know if I have a serious problem, but I can't stop. That was plain and simple the best show I have ever attended, as far as set lists, bands enthusiasm, crowd psychosis, and personal joy as having been part of it. I hope everyone can have such a show in their life. Thanks to the band, the crowd, and all my new friends.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 792
    For all of you out there I was lucky enough to share the floor with. I have now listened to the show 7 times since downloading it on thursday. I don't know if I have a serious problem, but I can't stop. That was plain and simple the best show I have ever attended, as far as set lists, bands enthusiasm, crowd psychosis, and personal joy as having been part of it. I hope everyone can have such a show in their life. Thanks to the band, the crowd, and all my new friends.

totally agree

just wish they would not have axed Smile from the 2nd encore.. but it is the best show ive ever seen
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    heusenheusen Posts: 36
    totally agree

just wish they would not have axed Smile from the 2nd encore.. but it is the best show ive ever seen

if they hadn't axed Smile, it would have beaten night 2.. but when I noticed they weren't playing it I stopped smiling.. haha

and did you happen to see the actual setlist? there were other songs axed from the encores right?
  • Options
    2001ALLSTAREDDIE2001ALLSTAREDDIE NorCal Posts: 193
    I'm still liking Sunday's show more. Although, I'd have to say that the best quote I hear was from Tuesday night, when Lee Ranaldo said it's all been "super swell".
    12/07/93 Seattle; 12/09/93 Seattle; 06/01/03 Mt.View; 10/05/04 St.Louis; 03/18/05 Seattle; 09/04/05 Calgary; 09/05/05 Edmonton; 07/15/06 SF; 07/18/06 SF; 04/05/08 Santa Cruz (EV); 07/12/08 LA; 10/01/09 LA; 07/11/11 Oakland (EV); 09/03/11 PJ20; 09/04/11 PJ20; 07/19/13 Wrigley; 11/19/13 Phoenix; 11/23/13 LA1; 11/26/13 Oakland; 10/3/14 St.Louis; 04/11/16 Tampa; 04/13/16 JAX; 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 Fenway
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    awesome show except for the "ten" lovers behind me
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    been to 32 pj shows. easily in my top 3 or 4.
    tacos
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    This show has been in my car for the past 3 days. I've listened to it 3 times, and I can't get enough, such a great show. But it looks like it will be soon replaced by the 1st Gorge show.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    awesome show except for the "ten" lovers behind me

This needs clarification.
    I love Ten... still can't be dropped from the top album ever IMO. That said, I LOVE the other albums too...

In fact, we had some great debate on fave (studio) albums in my section of the balcony...

Mine -- (I should note that 2-6 is fluid... certainly not static; it always depends on my mood that day). The new album has been in heavy play since it came out...

1. Ten
    2. Vitalogy
    3. Yield
    4. New album
    5. No Code
    6. Vs.
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act

(Thank god I didn't bring up which boot was my favorite... )
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    this was easily my favorite show of the trilogy, due to all the things you mentioned above.

a lot of it has to do with the folks around you, and night 3 was the best in that category for me. not too violent, but not too boring, either. just right.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    markpregen wrote:
    if they hadn't axed Smile, it would have beaten night 2.. but when I noticed they weren't playing it I stopped smiling.. haha

and did you happen to see the actual setlist? there were other songs axed from the encores right?
    'Smile' was scratched... as was 'Baba O'Riley'... and one more, but I can't remember what it was... 'Immortality', possibly?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    just popped this boot in for the first time today.

holy crap, we were loud. :)
  • Options
    I am so happy to see the geographical diversity indicated by the replies. I met a wonderful couple from NJ, just wish we could have stayed together throughout. I agree that this show may indeed pale when compared to Gorge 1; but I'm not ashamed to say that I am a bit of a "home"r. I wouldn't give last week up for anything, but I would give up a lot to have been at The Gorge last night, cheers, you fortunate ones.
  • Options
    I am so happy to see the geographical diversity indicated by the replies. I met a wonderful couple from NJ, just wish we could have stayed together throughout. I agree that this show may indeed pale when compared to Gorge 1; but I'm not ashamed to say that I am a bit of a "home"r. I wouldn't give last week up for anything, but I would give up a lot to have been at The Gorge last night, cheers, you fortunate ones.

you talk about the diverse geographic location of the SF concert-goers ... I swear, I didn't meet anyone from California the whole time I was out there.

Met some folks from Boston, Utah, Minnesota, and a ton from Texas. but no Californians. It was like a westward invasion.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I would say I've listened to the boot rather closely....

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=207904

few flaws I can find are in Worldwide Suicide and a bit too fast on the evenflow drumsolo -- but I'll say he didn't lose the tempo throughout, but it muddles all his fills and stuff. still rockin.

Anyone catch the Dylan impression 2nd verse of Crazy Mary?!!?! (EDIT: 3-4th line of LEDBETTER, he does Dylan!)
    And the lil diddy "Hey Ho we're off to san francisco" to start the encore? What was that?!??!

Underneath that sign always congregated QUITE A CROWD!

Best pic of SF III: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=207107
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    I liked Night 1 the best of SF. Tuesday was my second fave though.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    lunazanilunazani Posts: 4
    those 3 shows were great i am glad i got to see them 3 times i am just sad that they didn't play black.
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    just listening to evenflow now, that groove they get into during mike's solo, right before matt's drum solo? fucking AWESOME. i am so glad i could go to those shows :)
  • Options
    cbh1011 wrote:
    This needs clarification.
    I love Ten... still can't be dropped from the top album ever IMO. That said, I LOVE the other albums too...

In fact, we had some great debate on fave (studio) albums in my section of the balcony...

Mine -- (I should note that 2-6 is fluid... certainly not static; it always depends on my mood that day). The new album has been in heavy play since it came out...

1. Ten
    2. Vitalogy
    3. Yield
    4. New album
    5. No Code
    6. Vs.
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act

(Thank god I didn't bring up which boot was my favorite... )

no ONLY KNEW TEN !! PERIOD,, THEIR LOSS
  • Options
    lunazani wrote:
    those 3 shows were great i am glad i got to see them 3 times i am just sad that they didn't play black.

ME 2
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I liked Night 1 the best of SF. Tuesday was my second fave though.

ME 2 LLOL
  • Options
    lunazani wrote:

Yeah Night 3 was my 7th show and I still have not heard Black live. I had a list of songs I was hoping to hear over the three nights and Black was the only one they didn't play. My only other complaint would have been to play Porch instead of Even Flow one night and maybe Elderly Woman instead of Alive. But I understand why Alive is getting so much play because of Storytellers, I just didn't need Even Flow and Alive three nights in a row.
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    I'm sure glad everyone else feels the same about those stellar SF shows. I thought I was the only one that has been re-borned as a result of those shows. I also was on the floor for all the shows. Easily the best I've seen them play (and I've seen them since '92) and perhaps the best I've seen ANY band play! I have all three boots and I've been listening to them constantly as well as the new album. I find that I love the new album a lot more after seeing them perform the material live. Not sure why that is, but it is.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    edpearson wrote:
    I'm sure glad everyone else feels the same about those stellar SF shows. I thought I was the only one that has been re-borned as a result of those shows. I also was on the floor for all the shows. Easily the best I've seen them play (and I've seen them since '92) and perhaps the best I've seen ANY band play! I have all three boots and I've been listening to them constantly as well as the new album. I find that I love the new album a lot more after seeing them perform the material live. Not sure why that is, but it is.

Yeah, Severed Hand has really sky-rocketed in my favorite song list since seeing them in SF. The lighting for that song is fantastic. I think my favorite version was night 2 after the Sometimes mess up. I love the last line of the song, "I'll answer this when I get home."
  • Options

I'll agree, and reproduce my post at Red Mosquito recapping my favorite 2006 boots. There are tons of shows I loved this tour but give special mention to:

San Francisco 3 - Band was on a mission coming out of the short shows, and the west coast stretch proves it. The third Sf night reminds me a lot of the Buffalo show near the end of '03s first leg. Second only to Sweet Jane, Watchtower is arguably the most covered song of all time. For 30 years I've been listening to boots of varying quality with this song, and I now have a new favorite. Where has Untitled been? It's back here. Why is Red Mosquito so rare? It's back here. Present Tense, Why Go, In Hiding, Light Years. This show has a unique setlist and executed to the hilt. I think I'm comfortable calling this one the best, but still in the running for my personal favorite is also ...

Las Vegas - This is an unorthodox pick, as most people have fawned over the subsequent SD show and dismissed this one. Even if Ed's comments about the venue are true, it doesn't matter. And though Ed was sick, he made up for it in heart. As an opener, Inside Job is at its most appealing. The Fortunate Son-Porch closer for "W's birthday" is unmatched, with a Dirty Frank tease-tag. Also, the little Come Back tag at the end of Black is a nice twist. I love Boom, but the Benmont Tench wrinkle plus imrpov makes this one of the best Better Man versions ever. Throw in Little Sister and Parachutes for uniqueness, and LV is my sleeper pick for best show.

Santa Barbara - I'm not sure how the sets were set up. That first set isn't acoustic, but it seemed an early, shorter, mellower set ... and it's great! A superbly executed show that sees rarities Oceans, the Interstellar Overdrive Intro, and U. Grand Rapids is almost universally hailed as "the show" which, in my opinion, is based almost entirely on the first encore. Which begs the question ... where's the love for SB, the first set of which is every bit as good as the GR encore and is better as an overall show.

The Gorge 1 - Dirty Frank!! They actually played it, and with a vigor that makes it sound better with each repeated listening. As a matter of personal taste, Wash as an opener always sets a special tone (and seems to be there in so many of the best recent shows). The Mamasan trilogy opens first encore with Crown Of Thorns. Since it seems to me Footsteps and Crown Of Thorns alone gave Chicago 2 it's glowing reviews (I was there), this show has so much more overall (and outdoor shows always have a built-in advantage). Finally, Daughter gets the It's OK tag, which is a big favorite of mine and leads me to ...

Cleveland - My favorite show of leg one inching out Camden 2. The '03 show here was also superb but was similarly unheralded. Forgive the ill-fated attempt to open the show with crowd singing and this show takes off otherwise. The Daughter/It's Ok here is a tour highlight. After screwing it up every time in 2000 but playing it masterfully in 2003, Immortality is MIA this tour ... but not here. The setlist won't floor you, but the execution of this show will. I love the Roger Waters-esque megaphone on Comatose with it's slap at Detroit. The bash-other-venues banter which riddles the Grand Rapids-Cleveland-Detroit stretch is hilarious and prior to the post-Petty west coast stretch, these three dates are where the band peaked.

San Diego - Great show all around, especially the Oceans & Long Road set openers. Since this show has gotten plenty of well-deserved love on the board, you won't need much info from me. But I should thank the poster who pointed out how sick this RVM is too (and recognized the tag as Todd Rundgren's "Time Heals"). Also a nice opening to RVM which carries over the Life Wasted lyrics "I'm never going back again". I should be real clear that I think this is a killer show but, like Grand Rapids, fans have told you all about it. I'm trying to supply more info about some less talked about shows (i.e. Vegas - and at the SD shows Ed points out how he always bashes preceding and subsequent venues ... yet fans some fans take his banter literally)

Camden 2 - I have frequently given love to the GR-Cle-Det trio of the first leg but this show might stand above them all. No doubt Philly has gotten it's share of special shows (and Wash openers). The '05 show was insane and the Philly 1 '00 remains my favorite from that set. Quite solid show and I never thought I'd enjoy Wishlist for it's rarity, but it's come to that.

Detroit - I think this is the best I've ever heard Ed sound on a recording. They wisely dump the GR-Cle idea of singalong openers with a welcome return of Long Road. Nothingman has all but disappeared but shows up here, and I think Why Go-Porch-Indifference-Kick Out the Jams-YL is the best finish of the leg. It was great to hear the Jams cover in '05, but Detroit provided the MC5 inspiration that S.America could not making this one of the very best cover performances I've ever heard from PJ.

Grand Rapids - I think it's the longest show of the tour and the first encore is remarkable. Those reasons alone make it worthy of top mention ... but the only reasons. I differ quite a bit from most fans on this point. I still think GR is a great show, but by no means THE show. I've heard this show no less than 10 times but now determined to spin it some more based on the consensus of how great it is. I'll be open to the idea that I'm missing something, but until then stand by my position that this show is great ... but a few others are better.

Chicago 1 - Where is the love for this show? I have been at all Chicago and Wisconsin shows from 2000 on, and with the exception of Alpine Valley in 2003, this one was the most solid. Yes, better than night 2 ... slightly better than Rosemont 2000 ... and clearly better than the Ed-belongs-in-bed-with-Nyquil UC show of '03. For the fan of less recent vintage hoping for hits, Ten gets great play including jams on even Flow and Porch that match up with ANY. Like mellow rarities? Both Low Light and I'm Open here. For No Code freaks (like me), the Present Tense was as good as I've heard. Bush detractors must love the Daughter tag. And the Blood/Atomic Dog and Indifference back-to-back at the end blew me away. A well-executed, lengthy, and great sounding show (in a venue with abysmal acoustics).

Albany - Once 30+ shows rolled in afterwards, Albany lost a bit of its luster. too bad, because this show is excellent. The return of Rats and Satans Bed, perfectly executed, are treats. The Wasted Reprise-Life Wasted works. No Code gets a nod with rarities Red Mosquito and Off He Goes. And the Porch is mindnumbingly good. The end of this show is a bit flat and sloppy, but near perfect until then.