The LOVE Of The Band RUSH

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    ^^^Man, that was really GOOD !!  ^^^^
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    cutz said:
    ^^^Man, that was really GOOD !!  ^^^^

not known as "the best damn band in the land" for nothing.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mickeyrat said:
     Dig this shit......

This completely boggles my mind.  That these folks can play that well AND remember all those moves and pull it off so sharply is amazing!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
     Dig this shit......

This completely boggles my mind.  That these folks can play that well AND remember all those moves and pull it off so sharply is amazing!

was just going to post this video.

they're so good, they're been hit with recruiting/practice violations!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Have never really listened to them. Starting that journey this morning. 
    www.cluthelee.com

JFC....

2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    mickeyrat said:

JFC....

Rush - Moving Pictures tour was the first rock concert I ever went to. I still have my ticket stub. $9.00.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I lost touch with them after Signals....then picked back up with Snakes & Arrows

I'm sure there are some gems in between those two albums that I missed out on but Grace Under Pressure was disappointing to me at the time. I was in high school though so what the fuck did I know?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mickeyrat said:

JFC....

More of a reflection of what my Mom and Pop played growing up in the 80s. REM, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Neil Young, U2. I actually didn't listen to my first Rush song until I was in my 20s. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    I lost touch with them after Signals....then picked back up with Snakes & Arrows

I'm sure there are some gems in between those two albums that I missed out on but Grace Under Pressure was disappointing to me at the time. I was in high school though so what the fuck did I know?

There's good stuff on their last five albums (1993-2012), but like 99% of bands, I think they continued to record after they peaked. The last RUSH album I really liked was Roll the Bones (1991). Great band, tho.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mickeyrat said:

JFC....

More of a reflection of what my Mom and Pop played growing up in the 80s. REM, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Neil Young, U2. I actually didn't listen to my first Rush song until I was in my 20s. 

fair enough. thematically, musically, lyrically 2112, AFTK and Hemishperes are it....

super ambitious for a youngish band but goddamn so fucking great......

signsls and grace were their new wave phase. too much synth for me...

after they began to settle into themselves....

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    me neither. a couple buddies had Roll The Bones on heavy rotation in the 90's, but beyond hearing Tom SoYYYYYYY on the radio all the time, I might be the only canadian bass player to not care about Rush. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:

JFC....

one cool tidbit of band trivia is that the drummer wrote all the lyrics to all the songs. Didn't know that until probably around their 40th anniversary. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

JFC....

Rush - Moving Pictures tour was the first rock concert I ever went to. I still have my ticket stub. $9.00.

Grace Under Pressure for me. The day before I flew to Germany(backstory...)

I will say this....even as a casual semi-fan, I do regret never seeing them live. they came here a number of times and I always passed. figured "maybe next time". no next time. oh well. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I will say this....even as a casual semi-fan, I do regret never seeing them live. they came here a number of times and I always passed. figured "maybe next time". no next time. oh well. 

plenty of live dvd/blurays available from many many different tours.....

R40 is a great one to start...

I wonder when there will be concert virtual reality options, so you can relive old gigs and feel like you are there. I'm sure that's not that far out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yeah, I tried listening to some of their 'best' and I'm just not digging it for some reason. Mad respect for their musical talent though! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Yeah, I tried listening to some of their 'best' and I'm just not digging it for some reason. Mad respect for their musical talent though! 
    for me:

1) too precise. the reason I like bands like Nirvana and don't care for shredders either. 
    2) the lyrics. I just can't get into them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Love Rush.  Easily the greatest Canadian rock band and Neil Peart is one of the greatest musicians to come out of Canada…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    RUSH tribute again by OSU Marching Band. This time at The Rose Bowl.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Only band I've seen live more than Rush is Pearl Jam. And that wasn't always the case.
    Love Rush....I didn't care for much of their stuff after Signals until Snakes and Arrows came out with their tour.  Their last two albums were pretty solid.

2112 is amazing live. RIP Peart

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    I promiced my brother that i would, one day, listen to Rush. Where should I start, any recommendations?
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2022
    petted101 said:
    I promiced my brother that i would, one day, listen to Rush. Where should I start, any recommendations?
    Moving Pictures is a great entry point. That was Rush at their most popular. Permanent Waves is another one of the more accessible Rush records. 
    I honestly don’t think anyone can go wrong listening to 2112 and Farewell to Kings but those records are less accessible. Hemispheres really shows off their musicianship chops. 
    Just my opinion but if you listen to Moving Pictures and like it, there is a cornucopia of musical delights awaiting you. 

they are their own thing.

might suggest streaming a random playlist of the catalog. see what grabs you then go from there.

there's a certain idealism lyrically.

enjoy the ride. excited for you.