RIP Patrick "Pake" Gallagher, my friend and huge PJ Fan

https://www.stretchfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Patrick-S-Gallagher?obId=22638608

Just got back from the most difficult funeral I've ever had to attend. Patrick "Pake" Gallagher was my good buddy and fellow Pearl Jam traveler. We saw them together in Philly a couple times, Wrigley 2016, RNR HOF 2017 in New York, and Seattle in 2018. We also saw Temple of the Dog together in 2016 in Philly, the first show of that tour. 

Pake and I shared hotel rooms, talked endlessly about PJ, and just had a super-strong bond over our favorite band. Unfortunately, Pake ran into some huge struggles in the past 18 months; some external, some internal and self-inflicted. He did not make it through.

Upon leaving the services, I ran into our close friend, Mike, who came with us on some PJ journeys. He asked me if I went to Sea.Hear.Now last month and I replied that I had. Pake had called me a few days before the show to tell me he was attending the show. I told him, "That's great! Call or text me the day of and we'll meet up." Now, I was wondering if Pake would actually attend because he was really having problems and would often tell people he was showing up places and then no-show. Sure enough, I never heard from him and assumed he did not attend the concert.

Mike showed me his phone and Pake had sent a video from Sea.Hear.Now. Based on the vantage point, we may have been within 100 feet of one another, perhaps closer. It broke my heart to learn that I was so close to him and could have had one last PJ experience with my friend. He died on 10/7, 19 days later. Our phone conversation on 9/15 were our last words to one another.

Pake's brother Dan was in the receiving line. Dan was at the TOTD show with me, Pake, and Mike. I gave him an EV guitar pick that I received from the man himself back in 2009 when I had a chance encounter. Dan was blown away and said he would give it to Pake's oldest child, Aidan. 

I share this because I want the PJ community to know what a PHENOMENAL guy Pake was and truly a huge fan. He NEVER had a bad world to say about anyone. Pure light and joy. A giant heart. No wonder he was a Pearl Jam fan...

Much love to you all,

Tony
"Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    T-Bone 82 said:
    https://www.stretchfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Patrick-S-Gallagher?obId=22638608

Just got back from the most difficult funeral I've ever had to attend. Patrick "Pake" Gallagher was my good buddy and fellow Pearl Jam traveler. We saw them together in Philly a couple times, Wrigley 2016, RNR HOF 2017 in New York, and Seattle in 2018. We also saw Temple of the Dog together in 2016 in Philly, the first show of that tour. 

Pake and I shared hotel rooms, talked endlessly about PJ, and just had a super-strong bond over our favorite band. Unfortunately, Pake ran into some huge struggles in the past 18 months; some external, some internal and self-inflicted. He did not make it through.

Upon leaving the services, I ran into our close friend, Mike, who came with us on some PJ journeys. He asked me if I went to Sea.Hear.Now last month and I replied that I had. Pake had called me a few days before the show to tell me he was attending the show. I told him, "That's great! Call or text me the day of and we'll meet up." Now, I was wondering if Pake would actually attend because he was really having problems and would often tell people he was showing up places and then no-show. Sure enough, I never heard from him and assumed he did not attend the concert.

Mike showed me his phone and Pake had sent a video from Sea.Hear.Now. Based on the vantage point, we may have been within 100 feet of one another, perhaps closer. It broke my heart to learn that I was so close to him and could have had one last PJ experience with my friend. He died on 10/7, 19 days later. Our phone conversation on 9/15 were our last words to one another.

Pake's brother Dan was in the receiving line. Dan was at the TOTD show with me, Pake, and Mike. I gave him an EV guitar pick that I received from the man himself back in 2009 when I had a chance encounter. Dan was blown away and said he would give it to Pake's oldest child, Aidan. 

I share this because I want the PJ community to know what a PHENOMENAL guy Pake was and truly a huge fan. He NEVER had a bad world to say about anyone. Pure light and joy. A giant heart. No wonder he was a Pearl Jam fan...

Much love to you all,

Tony
    So sorry to hear this.  Never easy to lose someone close to you, especially younger like that.   RIP to your close friend and keep those memories of him in your heart and mind.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    So sorry for your loss. If you need anything, please let us know. Keep those memories going strong.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Very sorry to see this. Sounds like a good guy.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
    Sorry bud. Take care
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    I'm sorry for your loss, Tony. It sounds like the world lost a good guy.
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 390
    Thanks to all of your for your kind words.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    It's crushing when beautiful souls don't make it through brutal times (whether external, internal, or both).  Sending huge waves of love & light to all who knew Pake and loved him.
  • Love to you  and your dear friends family. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    So sorry to hear of your loss.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Nice post for your lost friend.  So sorry for his loss and to his family.  Life is tough, one never knows really what is going on with someone else.  The best we can do is try to be there for others, sometimes that is not enough.  Take care.  May he rest in peace.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my condolences. that's so difficult. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD