Stone: 70’s semi hollow gold top les paul - Asbury

bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
edited September 2021 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is that a 1970’s semi hollow gold top les paul that Stone played at Asbury Park?  

I don’t recall seeing this guitar before and I bet he used it more than 50% of the night.  It looks like an ES but think it is an LP.  Here it is from Alive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QL4A9Y_lq34

Edit:  looks like it is a Les Paul Signature

Post edited by bootlegger10 on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Is that a 1970’s semi hollow gold top les paul that Stone played at Asbury Park?  

I don’t recall seeing this guitar before and I bet he used it more than 50% of the night.  It looks like an ES but think it is an LP.  Here it is from Alive.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QL4A9Y_lq34

Edit:  looks like it is a Les Paul Signature

A very strange Gibson, indeed!  I've never seen any Gibson ES series guitars that were not symmetrical, and all of the semi-hollow body Les Pauls I've ever seen have a single cutaway.  A strange beast, that guitar!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited September 2021
    ...Realized I came to the same conclusion a weird 70's signature les paul
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    No Bigsby?
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • BALLBOY said:
    No Bigsby?
    Nope.
  • So great.  Thanks for this detail.  I was at the the show and noticed but wasn’t sure what it was.  Sounded great though!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Stone used this guitar again on probably 70% of the songs.  Played acoustic when necessary, and then certain electrics he typically does for Daughter & Life Wasted.   Interesting he used it for most of the Ten songs.  

I wonder if he figured there are only 4 shows so no need to take a bunch of guitars on tour, or he just loves this guitar that much.  
    Stone still playing this guitar.  Used it in the Painted Shield video.  

Stone Gossard on Reviving Loosegroove Records (spin.com)
  • FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 207
    There is a great looking  gold one for sale at guitar point in Germany. 
  • TheebsTheebs Posts: 31
    Froggie said:
    There is a great looking  gold one for sale at guitar point in Germany. 
    Looks fantastic

https://guitarpoint.de/product/1975-gibson-les-paul-signature-goldtop/
    I bought one a few years back online. Learned a lesson that the pictures may not show all the faults and replacement parts, but I like it.  The bridge is about as low as it can go - ha. It definitely was played a lot so has some character to it.   Stone's guitar tech actually reached out to the seller before me, so you may be competing with Stone when finding one of these.