Has Ed mellowed in his opinion of mainstream culture especially mainstream pop music?

I dont think this is a bad thing at all, and its something we all go through, but do you feel like this is accurate?  I remember in the press for Avocado, Ed would be making fun of how stupid and dumb pop music stars of that era were.  And certainly he championed all those left field bands in the grunge heyday.  I get the impression he wouldn't be caught dead listening to pop music back then.  

Alot of things probably occurred to change his mindset.  Having kids I think did, Im sure his daughters got him into all these newer artists who he'd never have been a fan of on his own.  Didnt he publicly say he is a fan of Billie Eilish?  I know Dave Grohl is.  But you have Ed collabing with Beyonce, Lana Del Rey hanging out backstage at Ohana and clearly rocking out and loving PJ's set, etc...  I feel like the Ed of 1995 would have viewed these artists as vapid, and I think, honestly, that view was incorrect and untrue.  Pop music and mainstream music can be good, just as good as the music PJ makes.  

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Comments

• Everyone in Pearl Jam was brought up on mainstream popmusic.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Everyone in Pearl Jam was brought up on mainstream popmusic.
    They were for sure,  yet Ed in 1995 wasnt championing Michael Jackson, Madonna, and George Michael.  He was actively bad mouthing it in the press and at shows.  How about in 1999/2000 with boybands and Britney and Christina and the like?  I would guess Ed didnt have too positive an opinion on Baby One More Time and The Backstreet Boys.  And contrast that with now.  I like the change in tone as I said.  Its just an interesting aspect of the band.  Back then it was verboten for the Seattle bands to even want to befriend people like that.  As I said, I'm sure Ed's daughters changed his mind on alot of this, they were raised no doubt on PJ of course and a diet of The Who, Bruce, Neil, and all Ed's favorites, but I would bet they also were like any kid these days, into hip hop, pop, and what's hot.  We all love The Who, but let's be real here, in 2021, a 14 year old kid in high school is going to be streaming Pop Smoke and XXXtentacion and Kanye, and not Quadrophenia, as much as Ed or anyone here wishes that weren't the case.  There was a clear anti mainstream, anti pop, indie is better ethos of the whole early 90's scene.  Ed and the guys are in their 50's now with kids and are considered rock legends and elder statesman the same way they themselves saw The Who and Neil in 1991.  I think its only natural that you sort of outgrow that whole, I am a cool rock kid I cant hang out and listen to anything that the mainstream loves.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Having a family changes you for sure. Unless you're a giant asshole, why wouldn't you take your daughter to see their favorite group? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Its a marked changed even from 7 or 8 years ago here's an interview with Ed from RS.  Who knew he'd be hanging with JayZ and Beyonce and Lana a few years later!

On another note, there’s no doubt that rock isn’t the cultural force it once was. 
    Oh, so you saw the MTV Awards.

Wait, you saw the MTV Awards? 
    I was able to fast-forward through them, yes.

I take it you’re not into much new pop music, then. 
    These pop songs almost feel like tabloid journalism, in a way. It’s crap that people seem to like. And I don’t know if it has meaning. I don’t know if one of the pop songs of the summer has any fiber in it. People are consuming it, and is it healthy? I don’t know. Maybe it’s some kind of way of taking themselves away from their problems. Maybe there’s some healthy property or some restorative property that I’m not receiving. It seems like it has a really high fructose content.

• Having a family changes you for sure. Unless you're a giant asshole, why wouldn't you take your daughter to see their favorite group? 
    I agree, I think thats largely the thing that occurred.  Didn't Jill post something about going to see Taylor Swift with them?  As I said, no doubt their kids are aware of rock and its lineage and importance, but lets be real, whats hot and popping in 2021 or in 2016 even, wasnt some new rock band with guitar and amps.  Its someone on a mic rapping, or some guy DJing for 50,000 at a festival or its Ariana Grande.   I have to think Ed and his wife were exposed to the new artists and may have even become a fan of a few of them.  
  • I think you could say someone like Taylor Swift is a rock star, and possibly the biggest rock star in the world.  Its possible with Taylor getting more critical acclaim the last year, that someone like Ed the band would like it.  But I just cant picture Ed listening to Folklore, even though its one of the best albums of the last 10 years.  But I do think he's more accepting of that type of music.  I can't picture him listening to Beyonce's Halo or Lana's The Greatest, but it seems likely to have happened.  
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Ed probably has thoughts on this. Ask him
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I ramble on on these boards way too much, so I will just say that I love this topic, and it makes me giggle to think about Ed and pop music stars.

And yes, having kids changes a lot. 

While I'm pretty sure Ed's kids probably have heard and love more cool music than most kids have (and have probably literally met and had some of the coolest musicians jam in their basement or something), I know in my case it's only because I wanted to make my kids happy that I've seen: Katy Perry, Sia, Billie Eilish (who I actually also like now), and soon Willow Smith & Billie Eilish.  Actually, I enjoyed ALL of those shows, but I probably wouldn't have gone to any of them if I didn't have kids.

I feel like I remember some story involving Ed approaching Chance the Rapper (who I do not consider "pop" but he's certainly not garage rock either) and saying his kids love him, which I thought was cool.  And would he have discovered Hamilton if not for his girls and his wife?  Very possibly not I'd think :)
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    I think he tagged Let It Go from Frozen a few years ago with PJ?  Kid's will soften you up a little.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    edited September 2021
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    mr bungle said:
    I think he tagged Let It Go from Frozen a few years ago with PJ?  Kid's will soften you up a little.
    Yep
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited September 2021
    When you have the ability to introduce your kids to their heroes you probably want to do that.  That's a pretty cool thing you better be taking advantage of. 

some of that is just good music tho.  We spun that Lana record til it wore out in 2012.  Billie Eilish's first two albums were really good too.  Can't say im a fan of Beyonce tho.

Nothing wrong with working with the mega popular producer either if you're still making the music you want to make.  Based on one tune i've heard i really like those results too.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    edited September 2021
    Great quote from Ed about Good Charlotte in 2003: they sound like a popsicle that’s been stuck up somebodies ass.

He ain’t wrong.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Great quote from Ed about Good Charlotte in 2003: they sound like a popsicle that’s been stuck up somebodies ass.

He ain’t wrong.
    Haha! I do remember that one, think I have the boot!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

He ain’t wrong.
    Haha! I do remember that one, think I have the boot!?

On the MSG 03 DVD 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    edited September 2021
    About 2 years ago I was having a conversation with my girlfriend regarding Billie Eilish. I remember saying "I just do get it. Her music. It's different and I don't get it. It's just not for me." Now, I like most of what I hear of hers quite a bit. Weird how things work out sometimes. But, yeah, I'm sure Ed has opened his views as he's grown older. Most of us do. 15 year old me would unnecessarily smugly scoff at 38 year old me. 38 year old me would tilt my head and kindly tell 15 year old me that "It's all good, man."

Lana has a couple that I really like as well.

I think the key to much of the newer music is to take it for what it is to you. For me, it is widely disposable. I don't take a Tame Impala album and put it up against 'Ten'. I enjoy it now while not expecting it to be great or hold up to the likes of 'Ten'. And when I tire of it, then that's okay, I move along.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory