Immagine in Cornice appreciation thread

64c and Cloudy64c and Cloudy Posts: 116
edited September 2021 in The Porch
Gave my old DVD copy a spin tonight. The energy from the band and the crowd throughout and the vignettes between makes for one of the most enjoyable PJ films around!

Would love to see this upgraded to Blu Ray or 4K one day...
Post edited by 64c and Cloudy on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

Same here.
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    For me, it is the best DVD from the band. 
    I think I have a promo poster somewhere. 
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    One of the best. Great version of Come Back.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Such a fiery time in the bands career! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Pearl Jam. Italy. Can’t beat that!
  • It’s a very good DVD.  My only issue with it is you can’t easily get to the beginning of a song if that’s all you want to do.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • demetrios said:

Same here.

Do I recall someone saying the nugs stream of this is in high definition?
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    +1
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
    demetrios said:

Same here.

There is but not a huge upgrade in video.

• demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

Same here.

There is but not a huge upgrade in video.

Ah, so not full 1080p. Thanks!
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,488
    Saw this in the cinema when released (London Odeon), was a one viewing only, in 4K - was like being at a live show. The whole crowd were PJ fans!

Anyone else there???
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
    Saw this in the cinema when released (London Odeon), was a one viewing only, in 4K - was like being at a live show. The whole crowd were PJ fans!

Anyone else there???

You saw it in 4k? Yeah, Pearl Jam needs to release this on BluRay!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I did always think it was weird that the package for the DVD shows off it was filmed in HD, but it's never had an HD release.

I wonder if that 720p on nugs is genuine 720p or if it's upconverted from SD?  It looks pretty soft, even for 720p.

I love this DVD though... an HD upgrade would be amazing!
    Zod said:
    I did always think it was weird that the package for the DVD shows off it was filmed in HD, but it's never had an HD release.

I wonder if that 720p on nugs is genuine 720p or if it's upconverted from SD?  It looks pretty soft, even for 720p.

It's 720p with AAC audio 44.1kHz @ 1.9 gigs. As for video quality, looks like a DVD rip to 720p conversion.

I so wanna hear more about this 4K viewing mention above. Didn't know they showed this in theatres in 4k.
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,181
    I remember exchanging messages before this was released with someone who said it was supposed to be a two disc set and it was cut to one.  I wish they would re-release the longer, original cut, if in fact, there was a longer version. 
    maverick said:
    I wish they would re-release the longer, original cut, if in fact, there was a longer version. 

Yes please!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    This is a fantastic watch. Easily my fave of theirs
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664

Anyone else there???
    I didnt know this happened either !!!

I did love the PJ20 cinema experience though
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    pdalowsky said:

Anyone else there???
    I didnt know this happened either !!!

I did love the PJ20 cinema experience though

I did too. Also their Let's Play Two cinema experience. 

Searched and still couldn't find a 4K release of Immagine In Cornice.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    The thing that gets me on the pj20 bluray's is that all the footage from the Moore show is in HD.   It makes me wonder if the whole show got filmed.  If it did, how amazing would it be to put that out on bluray and/or 4k. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Zod said:
    The thing that gets me on the pj20 bluray's is that all the footage from the Moore show is in HD.   It makes me wonder if the whole show got filmed.  If it did, how amazing would it be to put that out on bluray and/or 4k. 
    The 30th anniversary of that show isn’t that far away….
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2021
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

It's 720p with AAC audio 44.1kHz @ 1.9 gigs. As for video quality, looks like a DVD rip to 720p conversion.

I so wanna hear more about this 4K viewing mention above. Didn't know they showed this in theatres in 4k.
    This was released in 2007. 

I would put zero faith in this being put on a 4K DCP. Didn't movie theaters start showing in 4K first in the early 2010s?

Could it be the poster mixing it up with PJ20?

The quality on youtube is flat out embarrassing, should be updated with atleast a SD-master to HD upscale or if they are so inclined -- go back to the HDCAM tapes.

I think it was a cool thing - with Verona and Milan being my first two Pearl Jam shows. But it should have been accompanied with a straight concert-version. Without cut tracks (like RITFW was).
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

I would put zero faith in this being put on a 4K DCP. Didn't movie theaters start showing in 4K first in the early 2010s?

The quality on youtube is flat out embarrassing, should be updated with atleast a SD-master to HD upscale or if they are so inclined -- go back to the HDCAM tapes.

I think it was a cool thing - with Verona and Milan being my first two Pearl Jam shows. But it should have been accompanied with a straight concert-version. Without cut tracks (like RITFW was).

Via google. When did movies become 4K?

Theaters began projecting movies at 4K resolution in 2011. Sony was offering 4K projectors as early as 2004. The first 4K home theater projector was released by Sony in 2012.

If this PJ film was shown in 4k back then it's shocking they didn't release this on Blu-ray.

• demetrios said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Theaters began projecting movies at 4K resolution in 2011. Sony was offering 4K projectors as early as 2004. The first 4K home theater projector was released by Sony in 2012.

If this PJ film was shown in 4k back then it's shocking they didn't release this on Blu-ray.

It was shot on HDCAM tapes using the same Sony camera I used at film school - modelname 750-something (do not remember where I picked up that info), so even a 2K DCP for a theatrical presentation would be an upscale.

I think them not releasing it on Bluray at the time (even if Bluray was a new format back then) was kind of unfortunate.

I wish Danny Clinch would go back and cut together a Touring band-esque concert video from those five italian dates and release it on Bluray. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

It was shot on HDCAM tapes using the same Sony camera I used at film school - modelname 750-something (do not remember where I picked up that info), so even a 2K DCP for a theatrical presentation would be an upscale.

I think them not releasing it on Bluray at the time (even if Bluray was a new format back then) was kind of unfortunate.

I wish Danny Clinch would go back and cut together a Touring band-esque concert video from those five italian dates and release it on Bluray. 

That would be pretty cool.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    -Easily my favorite PJ DVD/movie/whatever
    -So amazing to see Picture in a Frame at the vastly underrated 4/28/16 Phila. show
    -I really want one of those Avocado album t-shirts this one fan is wearing
    -Best version of Come Back I've ever heard, including the time I heard it live
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    Best and most tiring experience of my life. This was my first trip overseas and first PJ trip outside of my hometown area shows. Wouldn't trade the memories for the world.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Hopefully we'll see it one day. Even if they upscale just for YT.