*** Milwaukee II Fanviews 6/30 Here ***

2»

Comments

• Thought the PJ portion was real tight and quite possibly the best PJ performance of my 6 or 7 times seeing PJ. Ed seemed more open and outgoing/talkative right off the bat, which I hadn't experienced at any show I've previously seen. I agree with the first post - wish more stuff off the new album would've been played.
    Tom Petty was amazing. I'll admit, the extended jams got a little rough to sit through for me towards the end because I was getting tired (man I feel old saying that.) Anyway, Learning to fly was my favorite by far, but the whole set list was rockin and fun. TP was visibly stoned - as expected. The two songs with Ed were awesome.

So, I'll ask...does anyone have audio for the Tom Petty portion of the show??? I'd even pay for it if that's what'll get the audio in my hands! :)
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.
  • uuuuuu Posts: 9
    I echo a lot of what's already been posted, but here's my 2 cents....after a long and frustrating drive from St. Louis (thank you Illinois for that hour long toll road traffic jam), we got to the venue and were just a tiny bit disappointed with our tickets in section 3, row Y (I've been in the club since 98). I was fine with it until the guy next to me told me he'd only been a member for 2 years. Hmmmm..oh well.

Last Kiss sounded really strange as an opener...not one of my favorites. Around the Bend, Smile and I Got Id were highlights for me. We had a good view of Mike when he lost his footing and continued playing from the floor of the stage. Ouch!

It was my first time seeing Petty live. Don't Come Around Here No More was probably my favorite of his set. Ed did a great job with The Waiting, but we didn't hang around for the end of Petty's set. TP seems a lot more "theatrical" than Ed. He seemed to almost pump the audience for adoration. Somone said they thought he was stoned, so that might explain it.

I can't wait for the boots, especially since this will be my only show this time around. I'm jealous of you west coasters...enjoy the shows for us midwesterners.
  • erbie627erbie627 Posts: 14
    I was leary of the co-headlining but they pulled it off. It seemed like they played nearly the same time. Heck, if Pearl Jam needed more time there was the 40 minutes between 7:30 and 8:10 when they started.

The setlist was awesome. More new stuff would have been cool, but no Yellow Ledbetter as the closer, Indifference and Spin The Black Circle were my highlights.

I thought the two bands compared and contrasted rock and roll through time. Pearl Jam has no boundaries when it comes to a set list and the flow of a show. We all stand waiting for what lurks next hoping for the personal favorite that never gets played. Tom Petty is the more typical band. Same setlist in the same order with damn near the same explanations and stories between songs. Since Pearl Jam is the only band I see live that mixes it up I would say that Tom Petty is more typical. Plus, the stage presence he commands is so cool. I love the crushed velvet coats and the band conductor attitude. He wants the world to look at him, while Eddie just wants to be a singer that people enjoy.

My last thoughts are on the guitar solos, Mike McCready was horrible last night. I would hope that he expects more of himself than that. Yikes. The guitarist for Tom Petty was the best guitarist last night. He was kicking ass up there. Anyway, I loved the show as I always do. I wanted more.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    uuu wrote:
    I echo a lot of what's already been posted, but here's my 2 cents....after a long and frustrating drive from St. Louis (thank you Illinois for that hour long toll road traffic jam), we got to the venue and were just a tiny bit disappointed with our tickets in section 3, row Y (I've been in the club since 98). I was fine with it until the guy next to me told me he'd only been a member for 2 years. Hmmmm..oh well.

Last Kiss sounded really strange as an opener...not one of my favorites. Around the Bend, Smile and I Got Id were highlights for me. We had a good view of Mike when he lost his footing and continued playing from the floor of the stage. Ouch!

It was my first time seeing Petty live. Don't Come Around Here No More was probably my favorite of his set. Ed did a great job with The Waiting, but we didn't hang around for the end of Petty's set. TP seems a lot more "theatrical" than Ed. He seemed to almost pump the audience for adoration. Somone said they thought he was stoned, so that might explain it.

I can't wait for the boots, especially since this will be my only show this time around. I'm jealous of you west coasters...enjoy the shows for us midwesterners.

I couldn't let my hometown shows be the end. So I'm hitting up vegas to end it with a bang for myself. The midwest will rock vegas. hahaha
  • locatlocat Posts: 11
    INCREDIBLE BOTH NIGHTS!! Shows for the AGES!!
    I wish I wasn't so deep in the thread, but we took the backroads south from WI to the western burbs on Sat.
    I highly recommend you judge for yourself about Petty, Excel posts cast a shadow on Petty that took me a few songs to recover from the 1st night. I didn't even have the heart to share with my husband what I had read for fear of ruining his experience. I wonder, did people rip on The Stones, Neil Young, and The Who when they played with them?? Petty's a LEGEND!!
    It's was absolutely mind blowing and 2 Eddie/Petty duets 2 nights in a ROW!
    A once-in-a-lifetime-experience, well, twice-in-a-lifetime!!
    FYI---Alot of Petty fans blew off Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam Fans left early. Our friend with unbelievable 2nd row, section 1, Petty fan Club tickets, (bought on TM) went to catch Everclear, early into the Petty set, on a off-stage but it would have been easy to move around the whole lower section all night long. I also bought Petty FC in Sec. 1, row X and my PJ 157XXX seats were in Sec. 2 row Y. The rise starts in row N so both were great pairs of seats. We sold the Petty's for face to some cool fans, and others were doing likewise.
    Did anybody else think Petty favored the Sec. 3 area and kinda dissed the Sec. 1? I was poised with my last camera shot for the big BOW and they just walked off stage!! I'm a little hurt. Were all the Petty FC tickets in Sec.1? I think Tom may have been confused where HIS fans were located. Was he angry at the PJ fans for all the grumblings? It was just a vibe I picked up on in the 2nd row.
    Summerfest is always great, KUDOS to Milwaukee, but to have Los Lonely Boys, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Everclear, Cowboy Mouth, Blue October, and Dave Mason (did catch the 5:30 set) all playing for a minimal park entry fee, during the PJ/Petty set makes this a one of the best Festivals anywhere!! The toilets flush, the food is great, and even though this is a Miller Town, that micro-brewery conviently located right outside the Marcus, makes a mean Octoberfest.
    A Big Thumbs Up, 5 stars, and a hearty "thank you" to both bands for enriching my life so MUCH!!!
    Come back to the Midwest and play anything you want, anytime you want!!!
    KILLER!!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    One other comment/gripe -- did anyone else drive Friday from MPLS/STP to Milwaukee to see the show?

If you did, then you likely got caught in the three major delays on I-94 that made a 5 hour drive turn into a 7.5 hour journey....

where we then found ourselves rushing to our hotel, jumping in a pre-arranged taxi service, sprinting to the 10c will call, choking down one beer while carrying three more in, in our seats around 7:27 pm for the show we thought was to start at 7:30.

Whew.

Good times.
  • bigwalibigwali Posts: 3
    My opinion of the Friday night show was that it was a great show if you went to the Thursday show as well. I have about five friends including myself that are big PJ fans, but I was the only one to go to both shows. Thursday's show was much harder and faster I thought. Felt like a more complete show start to finish with two great closers in RVM and Porch. Friday's show seemed to lack a certain pace.

Totallly agree Thursday show was far superior in song selection, pace and energy for both PJ and Petty. The energy was intense start to finish. I think some fan club members down in front had a tough time Thursday and for whatever reason, they weren't into the show but trust me, the place was on fire and the energy was very high throughout the ampitheater.
  • I agree that last night's show was better than Thurs. I was happy with the setlist both nights, but the crowd seemed way more into PJ last night. Thurs. night I was on the lawn and people up there weren't into PJ at all. Last night I was in Sec. 5 and it seemed like everyone around me was into the show. A dude in front of me who came for Petty become a PJ convert. I Got Id was awesome and so was Smile! Thurs. and Fri. were my first PJ shows so I'm experiencing my first case of post-PJ depression. Any advice for dealing with it?

Buy all the bootlegs!!!!!!! lol.....

I have every one since 2000.....
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Just purchased the boot and I gotta say, not only do they sound great, but we sound great as well!!! Nice job guys!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Chris SaboChris Sabo Posts: 21
    So, I'll ask...does anyone have audio for the Tom Petty portion of the show??? I'd even pay for it if that's what'll get the audio in my hands! :)

A torrent is up at dimeadozen.org, but if you cant download, send me a pm and we can set something up
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~

My Ten Club tickets for Summerfest II were a little baffling. ‘Summerfest I’ my seniority (tickets will be distributed by…) earned me (and the 10c delivered) 2nd row JEFF tickets! ‘Summerfest II’ my 10c seats were dead center, but 30 rows back. Was this intended as a “Grand Rapids” type switch up? My 10c seats for ‘Summerfest II’ were being used by my sister and AtPeacew/MyLust because I had bought one Tom Petty Fan Club ticket for myself to use.

“Why the vast difference in seat location from night one, using the same 10c member number, to night two?” I ask the nice Club staffers at the Box Office tent.

“Take these morsels little baby bird, remember you are feed first little baby bird, and remember your morsels are larger and taste better than those given to the other baby birds.”

That single Tom Petty Fan Club seat I bought through the web site Fanfire (I found a link on the TP official web site) ended up being one seat (#17) closer to center in the same section (2), in the same row (2) as my Ten Club seat(#18) the night before. Tom Petty Fan Club tickets cost $250, 00 each. Ten Club tickets cost $101.00 each.

A “Grand Rapids” type “switch up” with 10c tickets would be fine with me if I could just be told what to expect in advance (in advance of buying tickets as well) seeing we had a couple of different options with the Tom Petty shows this time around.

Shit, I had to vent and I still have not put together my Tom Petty Fanview. I can’t wait to tell you guys about the fantastic time I had during Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers set both nights. Summerfest I and II upfront center was a major blast both nights and you guys need to know all about it…and I have photographic proof too.

More tales soon, edwho

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• I thought Pearl Jam was phenominal, and so was tom petty...the first night. Tom Petty could have switched his set list up, he left off songs like Yer So Bad and Even Walls....why not just switch a few up for the 2nd night? Also, did anyone else HATE the guitar solos that tom petty felt necessary during EVERY song? I was extremely upset that he didnt change a thing....the only thing that kept me around the 2nd night was knowing that EV was going to come back out for a few songs. PEARL JAM WAS PHENOMINAL though and stole the show for sure........I was violently upset with Petty's lack of change, so much so that I felt betrayed. Rock on Pearl Jam, the only gripe I have about you is that fact that you couldnt play a full set......i wouldve paid more money per ticket to have left tom petty off the damn bill. Hopefully im not the only one to hate tom pettys 2nd night set
  • PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    7th row sec 2

PJ rocks!!!

They had a ton of energy maybe even more since they knew they were only playing 90 minutes.

Great Setlist as always. Around the Bend was a nice treat as was Smile.

Eddie playing with Petty was also great.

As for Petty he really jams and I knew almost all of the songs he played. Great Show overall.
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • pjfan9110pjfan9110 Posts: 145
    would anyone who went to the show be willing to give me their ticket stub? i would definitely give you a small monetary reward! pm if you can help...thanks!
    1998-06-27 Alpine Valley, WI / 2000-10-08 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-06-21 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-04-26 Mellon Arena, PA / 2004-10-03 Grand Rapids VFC, 2006-05-17 United Center, IL / 2006-06-29 Milwaukee, WI / 2006-06-30 Milwaukke, WI / 2011-09-03 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2011-09-04 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2013-07-19 Wrigley Field / 2014-10-19 St. Paul / 2014-10-20 Milwaukee, WI
  • Dreamfire2Dreamfire2 Posts: 161
    I agree with the sentiment that maybe night 2 would seem better if you caught night 1. Seeing only night 2 for me it seemed to lack energy with a slow start, the crowd only engaged on and off, and with most petty fans around me just seeming bored. It was particularly annoying that Petty fans were constantly coming and going even during his set. never seen anything like that at a PJ show. Also lots of people who wouldn't shut up instead of blabbing at each other all night long around me despite decent seats. Maybe that all impacted my view of things along with having to constantly wave cigarette smoke out of my face.

I also agree with the comments about McCready's solo on Even FLow being a disaster. i was stunned and thought it was the worst I'd ever seen him play.
  • Both shows were great, but I would have to agree that the setlist was better on Thursday, but the sound and feel was much better on Friday. All my run ins with Petty fans were great. They seemed pleasantly surprised by the Pearl Jam set. One couple even asked me on Thursday what song they just played because they loved it. It was Gone. Hopefully I made Pearl Jam another sale of the new album.

The only thing I have to grip about is the Marcus Security was a little harrassing about my digital camera, because my wife and I were in the last row of the red section by the aisle. She was telling me I couldn't have cameras. I told her that Pearl Jam allows them in there shows, but she kept saying it doesn't matter, because the Marcus doesn't allow camera. Needless to say I got some pretty great pictures.

Later between Eddie coming out with Petty for The Waiting and American Girl he came up to the sound board about 10 ft behind us and was chilling out watching the Petty show with Kerry WOods and the lead singer of the Bodeans. I was amazed at how small he is. Some fans were being idiots trying to yell at him. I was just thinking this is just a normal guy trying to enjoy a concert just like the rest of us. He was really into the Petty, just loving it. I think that also came across when EV was on stage with Petty, he just seemed to be happy to be on stage with Petty. It was great to see.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Both shows were great, but I would have to agree that the setlist was better on Thursday, but the sound and feel was much better on Friday. All my run ins with Petty fans were great. They seemed pleasantly surprised by the Pearl Jam set. One couple even asked me on Thursday what song they just played because they loved it. It was Gone. Hopefully I made Pearl Jam another sale of the new album.

The only thing I have to grip about is the Marcus Security was a little harrassing about my digital camera, because my wife and I were in the last row of the red section by the aisle. She was telling me I couldn't have cameras. I told her that Pearl Jam allows them in there shows, but she kept saying it doesn't matter, because the Marcus doesn't allow camera. Needless to say I got some pretty great pictures.

Later between Eddie coming out with Petty for The Waiting and American Girl he came up to the sound board about 10 ft behind us and was chilling out watching the Petty show with Kerry WOods and the lead singer of the Bodeans. I was amazed at how small he is. Some fans were being idiots trying to yell at him. I was just thinking this is just a normal guy trying to enjoy a concert just like the rest of us. He was really into the Petty, just loving it. I think that also came across when EV was on stage with Petty, he just seemed to be happy to be on stage with Petty. It was great to see.

Where were you sitting? I was in section 2 row GG right in front of the soundboard. Sadly I didn't notice Eddie come out to the soundboard or that Kerry Wood was back by the soundboard since I was too busy watching Petty.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • I was also in Section 2, Row GG, slightly off center towards Stone. I liked the Petty show, but I happened to look back and saw Eddie standing there. The whole Petty show was like deja vu. Same thing different night.
  • You can check them out @ http://www.myspace.com/skidsplace
    feel free to add me.

Thanx
  • You can check them out @ http://www.myspace.com/skidsplace
    feel free to add me.

Thanx

Oh yea. Forgot to add that the photos are in the BLOG section. Thnx