Sunday Conversation: Jeff Ament on his new solo project, Neil Young & expecting a shift from PJ

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2021
    Thanks! Great read. Love the Gord Downie shout out. Jeff digs those Canadian legends 👍
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Thanks for sharing!

"Oh, we should play that one slower," Yes!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625

"So we haven’t played any of those 140 songs in almost three years. So hopefully that allows s to change some stuff up with that too. Hopefully we’ll get back into and maybe we’ll play things a little bit differently. “Oh, we should play that one slower, or let’s extend this section or we’ve always extended this section in this song, let’s not do that anymore.” Just have some new conversations about how we play those old songs; that’s all exciting. But it’s gonna be an undertaking, it’s gonna be three or four weeks of rehearsal."

I am so pumped for these 3 Ohana shows! 

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,841
    PJNB said:

"So we haven’t played any of those 140 songs in almost three years. So hopefully that allows s to change some stuff up with that too. Hopefully we’ll get back into and maybe we’ll play things a little bit differently. “Oh, we should play that one slower, or let’s extend this section or we’ve always extended this section in this song, let’s not do that anymore.” Just have some new conversations about how we play those old songs; that’s all exciting. But it’s gonna be an undertaking, it’s gonna be three or four weeks of rehearsal."

I am so pumped for these 3 Ohana shows! 

Sounds great! 👍
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Slowing down the tunes to their original speed is better for everyone.  
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Given to Fly and State of Love & Trust are nodding their heads in approval
    Given to Fly and State of Love & Trust are nodding their heads in approval
    Thought that and maybe Corduroy will have the extension cut out. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I like it when they rock harder - guessing I am in the minority on this as a lot of folks complain about them playing the songs faster than they should.  I dig it....more rock, save the slow stuff.  Enough of that with the songs they will never speed up.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I like it when they rock harder - guessing I am in the minority on this as a lot of folks complain about them playing the songs faster than they should.  I dig it....more rock, save the slow stuff.  Enough of that with the songs they will never speed up.
    I’m in your camp
    hippiemom = goodness
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

Baltin: What are your favorite simple songs?

Ament: The last couple of Gord Downie records he made before he passed, those records resonate so deeply with me. And those songs are really simple. It’s just great storytelling, very powerful, minimal instrumentation, beautiful piano. A lot of times just like the same piano repeating over and over. And the vocal melody changes over that simple repetitive piano. Neil Young, we made that record with Neil Young in four days. He came in with three songs and then every day he would go back to his hotel and write two songs and come back with two songs and have the lyrics all written out. He’d play it two or three times and it was done. Tonight’s The Night is one of the great records and that record is really simple, really heavy and really to the core raw and right to the heart. I think Joni Mitchell Blue is one of her more simple records, even though she’s got crazy tunings and just naturally the way that she plays is very progressive. But I tend to go back to those records that sort of knock you out emotionally right off the bat.

Those lazy to read, Forbes added an audio for the article. It's 11 minutes long.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Love how he loves Gord and the Hip. Would be killer if they'd add a Hip cover to the setlist here and there. Hoping for Ottawa still! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Love how he loves Gord and the Hip. Would be killer if they'd add a Hip cover to the setlist here and there. Hoping for Ottawa still! 
    Would be amazing and the place would erupt. 
    PJNB said:
    Would be amazing and the place would erupt. 

Indeed!
  • Listened to one of Gord's solo albums (Secret Path) after reading this article and it is absolutely sublime.
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited August 2021
    i should be outside
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Listened to one of Gord's solo albums (Secret Path) after reading this article and it is absolutely sublime.
    Fast forward 5 years and what he was singing about has shaken our nation to its core with the discovery of mass unmarked graves at various residential schools across the country. Schools funded by our federal government to assimilate indigenous youth…. 
    I spun it the other day after reading this article as well.  It is a magical record, one now will illicit a broad range of emotions, and I felt them all.

Here’s to you Chanie Wenjack