Options

To those who went to Vegas, SD, or LA...

pedalbrakepedalbrake Posts: 16
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
WAKE UP!!!!

I just came back from a 5-night, 4-show run through Vegas, San Diego, and both LA Forum shows, and while the overall crowd seemed great in all four shows, it seemed that all the people in my section were statues for EVERY SHOW! In Vegas, I stood next to a girl who barely moved for the entire 3 hour set. In San Diego, two people in front of me were sitting for most of the show. And in LA, during a kickass version of SOLAT, I was shocked to find that every individual in the row ahead of me was motionless, with their arms crossed. Normally, this wouldn't be that much of a surprise, but these were all fan club members - those who should be diehard PJ fans SITTING ON THEIR HANDS!!!!

Now I realize that everyone has a different way of enjoying a show, and some people like to just listen to the music. And the response of the people around me is not going to change how I enjoy the show - I'm going to rock out even if I'm the only one in the arena standing up. But, really, nod your heads, clap your hands, sing along every once and a while. I leave a PJ show drenched in sweat from jumping around for 3 hours - I wish the people around me would too. And to those of you really rock out during a show, I commend you! My fan club number is kinda high, so I've never had floor seats, but most of you on the floor seem especially into it. Way to be!

I know this has been said in other posts, but I just needed to vent. Hopefully Portland and the Gorge will better...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    I was at L.A and S.D and I disagree. I was surprised how animated most of the people were. I was stunned at the energy of the typically super lame L.A. fans and I am from L.A. Their energy was as strong as S.D. I thought. I think part of the problem is that these are all reserved seating shows with not much room to jump anymore. Just my 2 cents.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    .... me and my friend skipped seats in san diego and went to mikes side near the stage, the whole section was sitting down for most of the show- I thought these tickets were going to fan club members?
    La. night 1 I saw a guy eating a sandwich
    La. night 2 I saw people talking on the cell phone and texting- while sitting down.
    Make all the shows General admission floor and the crazy fans can go nuts like we should.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,073
    where i was for la 1 (LOGE 33), it was a mix. some were rocking out, others standing around. the girl i was sitting next to was at her first pearl jam show but she was completely into it even if she had me tell her some of the newer song titles.

next to me and her were two mexicans yelling stuff in spanish on various guitar solos.

So i agree with some of the criticisms of the crowd, but nonetheless i never let it affect me.

And one more thing, at three of the four shows i've gone to (Albany, Philly 2 and Sunday), a guy in my row has left when Eddie starts getting poltical.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    you west coasters better wake the fuck up when we arrive Saturday

ha haaaa 666 post!!!~

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    AliveinFLAliveinFL Posts: 567
    I was at all 4 shows as well. First of all Vegas was the shortest show of the 4 at only 2 hrs. 13 min.(due to Ed not talking and show not starting until 8pm) SD - 2 hrs 48 min. LA1 - 2 hrs 40 min. LA2 - 2 hrs 28 min. The fans were pretty good there. San Diego fans were crazy as hell. Almost all were on their feet(probably due to smaller venue). LA people in the back were sitting. I looked back during Once on night 2 and most were sitting. I was wondering WTF. Anyways, I enjoyed all of them. It was great for me.(especially SD)
    11/17/93, 9/17/95, 10/2/96, 6/27/1998, 10/21/2000, 4/13/2003, 10/8/2004, 7/6/2006, 7/7/2006, 7/9/2006, 7/10/2006, 6/12/2008, 6/16/2008,5/20-21/2010, 9/3-9/4/2011, 9/21/12, 9/22/12, EV solo Jax 11/25-11/26, 7/19/2013, 10/30/2013
  • Options
    pr4mojo1pr4mojo1 Posts: 102
    People that sit shouldn't go. I have bruises on my leg from night 2 in LA from jumping around so much and hitting the chair in front of me.

I want to apologize again to anybody that was stuck behind me in LV, SD, and LA. Especially LA night 2 when my 6'5" friend went with me. I actually heard the girl behind us say "They are fucking huge". I felt bad but I can't do a thing about it.
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    you west coasters better wake the fuck up when we arrive Saturday

ha haaaa 666 post!!!~

yo dude,,,did i already ask you when your flight is ?? american from jfk?? sat morning??
  • Options
    pedalbrake wrote:
    WAKE UP!!!!

I just came back from a 5-night, 4-show run through Vegas, San Diego, and both LA Forum shows, and while the overall crowd seemed great in all four shows, it seemed that all the people in my section were statues for EVERY SHOW! In Vegas, I stood next to a girl who barely moved for the entire 3 hour set. In San Diego, two people in front of me were sitting for most of the show. And in LA, during a kickass version of SOLAT, I was shocked to find that every individual in the row ahead of me was motionless, with their arms crossed. Normally, this wouldn't be that much of a surprise, but these were all fan club members - those who should be diehard PJ fans SITTING ON THEIR HANDS!!!!

Now I realize that everyone has a different way of enjoying a show, and some people like to just listen to the music. And the response of the people around me is not going to change how I enjoy the show - I'm going to rock out even if I'm the only one in the arena standing up. But, really, nod your heads, clap your hands, sing along every once and a while. I leave a PJ show drenched in sweat from jumping around for 3 hours - I wish the people around me would too. And to those of you really rock out during a show, I commend you! My fan club number is kinda high, so I've never had floor seats, but most of you on the floor seem especially into it. Way to be!

I know this has been said in other posts, but I just needed to vent. Hopefully Portland and the Gorge will better...

the vegas crowd was the fucking lamest i've ever been a part of. no one in section 104 stood (except my friend and me). some drunk guy kept spilling beer all over everyone, managing to do it while NOT standing. anyone in section 104, kiss my ass. you suck.
    ~I'd list my shows here, but I've long since lost count~
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    the vegas crowd was the fucking lamest i've ever been a part of.

I agree. I flew to the Vegas show, expecting the crowd to be off the hook. Boy, was I wrong.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    MellowCatMellowCat Posts: 38
    pr4mojo1 wrote:
    People that sit shouldn't go. I have bruises on my leg from night 2 in LA from jumping around so much and hitting the chair in front of me.

I want to apologize again to anybody that was stuck behind me in LV, SD, and LA. Especially LA night 2 when my 6'5" friend went with me. I actually heard the girl behind us say "They are fucking huge". I felt bad but I can't do a thing about it.

6'5" huh? I must have been behind your tall-ass friend in SD. : )
  • Options
    Milestone wrote:
    I agree. I flew to the Vegas show, expecting the crowd to be off the hook. Boy, was I wrong.

I disagree...and most of us "lucky mother fuckers down front" (as Eddie stated) were rocking. I did find out that 8th row was reserved mostly for "high rollers" and some of them were lame, however, for the most part we were all rocking and a rolling. Aside from a short show, I had a great time and am glad I flew in for it! Next up: 2 nights at the Gorge!
  • Options
    brianjd wrote:
    I was at L.A and S.D and I disagree. I was surprised how animated most of the people were. I was stunned at the energy of the typically super lame L.A. fans and I am from L.A. Their energy was as strong as S.D. I thought. I think part of the problem is that these are all reserved seating shows with not much room to jump anymore. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that most of the crowd at both shows were pretty high-energy. It just seems that a lot of the fan club members (especially those on the wings) weren't into the shows like I would've expected. And though it doesn't affect me all that much, since I'm gonna rock out no matter what the people in my section are doing, it makes me feel a little sorry for the band. The Vegas crowd was awful even though Eddie did all he could to fight through his sickness, LA2 had a great setlist (including the reverse trilogy) but no one around me responded, and SD was the most energy I've ever seen from PJ, but the people in front of me were sitting down. It just seems disrespectful to sit stone-faced and watch while a band (and not just Ed, the WHOLE band) puts all their effort into putting on a great show. Show some emotion people!!

If anybody is going to the Portland or Gorge shows, I suggest we make a pact to jam out to our fullest capability. Or shit, at least smile once and a while.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I disagree with you totally.. during SOLAT and all the other songs like Porch, Alive and Leah fans were going mental where I was.. I was sitting just on the side (stones side) about 4 rows back and thought it was insane the way the corwd got into it. Maybe you are picking on a few individuals I don't know.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    pedalbrake wrote:
    WAKE UP!!!!

Where were you sitting in Vegas?
  • Options
    In Vegas, Stone's side. Don't know which row exactly, maybe about 15 back.

In LA, Mike's side, and again, about 15 rows back.

Both sections, very, very lame.
  • Options
    wcstrikerwcstriker Posts: 20
    There was a mix where I was. I'm always rocking out. The space was limited so I didn't jump as much, but lots of other stuff. I figure there's an energy trade there, I give it to them, they give it to me.

Frank in PHX
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    I disagree...and most of us "lucky mother fuckers down front" (as Eddie stated) were rocking. I did find out that 8th row was reserved mostly for "high rollers" and some of them were lame, however, for the most part we were all rocking and a rolling. Aside from a short show, I had a great time and am glad I flew in for it! Next up: 2 nights at the Gorge!

I'm talking about the crowd in general. Not any particular section. During some of the parts where Ed wanted to crowd to sing for him, the crowd was relatively voiceless.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    Hey, don't blame me, I did my part to rock the fuck out in SD and LA, and the band sure as hell gave me good reason to.

Personally, I thought all three crowds were pretty damn good. LA1 was probably the "worst" of the three, but I'll partially blame that on the band delivering an almost exact copy of the set from two nights before, which no doubt a good chunk of the crowd was there for. LA2 was off the hook, and SD was just insane.
  • Options
    john dakerjohn daker Posts: 18
    in l.a. i wasn't too shocked to see a lack of movement cause i was in the back but it was lame to be in the fanclub seating at vegas and see people sitting down during various parts of the set. and leaving early too. one dude in l.a. left with his girlfriend right when they came back out for the second encore. lame. anyways i think i was the only one rocking out so hard in any of the last 4 shows i went to. the l.a. crowd was better when compared to the 2003 shows though. there were crickets when they came out with can't keep and it was like i was the only guy who knew the words.
    07/08/1998 - phoenix ... 06/03/2003 - irvine 2 ... 06/07/2003 - phoenix ... 07/06/2006 - vegas ... 07/10/2006 - l.a.

http://www.myspace.com/willhambfg
  • Options
    In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    I was pretty disappointed in the peeps near me some of those nights. LA night 1 was a real shame.
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    It happens at kick-ass shows OTHER than those put on by Pearl Jam too! I can't believe how passive people are nowadays at rock shows, particularly at PJ shows. I hate to say it but I think most people are too concerned about how they look to other people which is total bullshit. If you can't be free at a Pearl Jam show then where the fuck CAN you be free? They are the embodiment of FREE so get with it....particularly you 10C members who get seats down front.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    It happens at kick-ass shows OTHER than those put on by Pearl Jam too! I can't believe how passive people are nowadays at rock shows, particularly at PJ shows. I hate to say it but I think most people are too concerned about how they look to other people which is total bullshit. If you can't be free at a Pearl Jam show then where the fuck CAN you be free? They are the embodiment of FREE so get with it....particularly you 10C members who get seats down front.

It's pretty much like this - if you don't want to rock out to the band, don't go see them. don't go to a pj show just to say you went. go, stand, rock out, have fun. the next person i see sitting down through the entire set, i'm gonna haul to his/her feet and dance with cheek-to-cheek. consider yourself warned.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    It's pretty much like this - if you don't want to rock out to the band, don't go see them. don't go to a pj show just to say you went. go, stand, rock out, have fun. the next person i see sitting down through the entire set, i'm gonna haul to his/her feet and dance with cheek-to-cheek. consider yourself warned.

HA!! Can we do the foxtrot too???
    Actually I am always standing and rocking out so no need to pull me out of my seat!! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    HA!! Can we do the foxtrot too???
    Actually I am always standing and rocking out so no need to pull me out of my seat!! ;)

woop woooooop
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    brianjd wrote:

There you go buddy, people have no room to express themselves through interpretetive dance with those friggin seats on the floor. For me personally, I have always felt more energy from the band and crowd at GA shows. Hopefully PJ feeds off the San Fran GA crowds and continues with this format. I believe Europe is largely GA too. Plus with reserved seats it is the same people in front, they cannot help but **not** be as enthused as they were their first show of the tour.
  • Options
    pr4mojo1pr4mojo1 Posts: 102
    MellowCat wrote:
    6'5" huh? I must have been behind your tall-ass friend in SD. : )

No that was me. He didn't go to SD. I should have said, I am 6'8" and he is 6'5". That's why there was an apology. :)
    09/12/92-Irvine, 11/05/93-Indio, 06/24/95-San Fran, 11/06/95-SD, 11/07/95-SD, 7/13/98-LA, 07/14/98-LA, 10/25/00-SD, 10/28/00-Devore, 06/02/03-Irvine, 06/05/03-SD, 06/06/03-LV, 10/28/03-Santa Barbara, 09/02/05-Vancouver, 06/24/06-Cincy, 07/06/06-LV, 07/07/06-SD, 07/09/06-LA, 07/10/06-LA, 07/13/06-SB
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Personally... I didn't know there was an approved standard of behaviour for us fans at a Pearl Jam show... I must have missed that memo. I just thought we were supposed to go there and have a good time.
    And just how is one supposed to act at one of these shows? I mean, who would you'd rather have sitting around you... the guy who is constantly pumping his pointed finger to the words while screaming all of the lyrics in an off-key, monotone, early 'American Idol' reject voice... or someone who just bounces up and down a little and consumes the music? Personally... i prefer the one that isn't screaming in my fucking ear... yeah, you know all the lyrics... good for you... but, you know, we're not getting graded on our knowledge of the songs, right?
    Also... does this mean no moshing? I mean, some people feel the need to run in circles throwing punches and elbows as an expression of their enthusiasm... although I know there are also the ones out there who do it just to kick some ass. Is this behaviour approved or not? And if not... why not?
    And I don't care how other people act at concerts... because I think that everyone gets something personal out of it. I didn't know I was supposed to scream out the words in my horrible... HORRIBLE singing voice in order to meet the standard approval of my fellow Pearl Jam fans. Like, I'll tell you.. I sing when I feel like singing... not to prove to the guy next to me that I am a fan... I guess that doesn't make me a 'HARDCORE' fan... according to the Fan ratings scale. I think I score somewhere around 'Above Average Fan' to 'Good Fan'. I love the band... I love the music... I love my friends and I love meeting new people. I always thought it was up to me to enjoy the show... I didn't realize that I was supposed to be leading the cheering squad or something.
    Now, I know... I'll work on my monotone, off-key voice as well as my spastic dance moves for the next tour. I don't want to disappoint the guy next to me and ruin his concert experience.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    RonForchetteRonForchette Posts: 175
    Cosmo - thank you for stating what I've been thinking for a while. I agree with you 100%. Everyone enjoys themselves in a different way. More people should respect that. At Milw. 1 the dude next to me was singing everything so loud I could barely hear Ed. I go to shows to hear music, not the people around me.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Cosmo - thank you for stating what I've been thinking for a while. I agree with you 100%. Everyone enjoys themselves in a different way. More people should respect that. At Milw. 1 the dude next to me was singing everything so loud I could barely hear Ed. I go to shows to hear music, not the people around me.
    Like the wild chick next to me trying to get Mike and Ed's attention by constantly spazzing out and literally, SHOUTING out all the the lyrics in a voice that would make Ashlee Simpson look like... a frickin' angel? Good thing for us, her vocal chords cut out after about 4 songs... but, her constant spazzing for attention never stopped. Although, she was quite entertaining... her tit made several appearances as she jumped around.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    RonForchetteRonForchette Posts: 175
    Cosmo wrote:
    Although, she was quite entertaining... her tit made several appearances as she jumped around.

Ahh...karma.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06