why does religion compel females to apologize?

blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
I'm chatting with a friend about it. it's very hard to her to explain.
what is your opinion?
I feel sad and angry when i hear a woman say "I'm sorry" over and over. I've noticed it's my lady friends that go to church that say "I'm sorry" the most.
I'm sad my friend does not see it as belittling herself.
*~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Tagged:

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’ve never complained (or apologized for) my religious or spiritual beliefs.

Is that what you mean, or just apologizing in general?

Either way, I haven’t noticed it at all. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Mea culpa?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    hedonist said:
    I’ve never complained (or apologized for) my religious or spiritual beliefs.

Is that what you mean, or just apologizing in general?

Either way, I haven’t noticed it at all. 

my guess is more of the people pleasing variety. like apologizing for things that arent theirs to own?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    This made me think of the show Dead to Me.
    Im Sorry Judy Hale GIF - ImSorry JudyHale LindaCardellini - Discover amp  Share GIFs
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2021
    Being Canadian compels everyone to apologize. It’s gender neutral 🇨🇦😁
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    I go to church, but I have never noticed it. However getting my wife to apologize about anything is darn near impossible. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I go to church, but I have never noticed it. However getting my wife to apologize about anything is darn near impossible. 

:rofl:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Maybe because, her god woke up on the wrong side of the bed? And it just don't matter now. Because little by little. We hgave you verything you dreamed of. Little by little. The wheels of your life has slowly fallen off. Little by little. You have to give it all in all your life. And all the time I just ask myself why, are you really here?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    Whole lotta truth here!
    Ha! I will say I have no problem apologizing to my husband if I’m in the wrong.  But for the hell of it? Never! Not with others either…that silly taking oneself down in order to “keep the peace”. Buncha tripe. 

I do feel bad for anyone, man or woman, to have been taught or lived through certain experiences to feel that way. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    hedonist said:
    Ha! I will say I have no problem apologizing to my husband if I’m in the wrong.  But for the hell of it? Never! Not with others either…that silly taking oneself down in order to “keep the peace”. Buncha tripe. 

I do feel bad for anyone, man or woman, to have been taught or lived through certain experiences to feel that way. 
    If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    Hobbes said:
    hedonist said:

If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    Oh, Luther 💜
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    Hey!

Thanks for your responses.

I'll go off the people pleasing comment.
    I think that's part of it.
    Maybe saying SORRY for nothing did wrong is her way of showing men she's subservient. Any thoughts on that?

...And some cultures / religion teach that to young girls.

I asked her to watch this video. She said she disagreed with many of the statements on the video due her faith in Jesus.
    Video: https://youtu.be/G8sYv_6uyss
    What does Jesus say about apologizing for nothing did wrong?

Do you think she's getting something out saying SORRY? It deflects attention to her, because some people will detour from the conversation to console her?

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited July 2021
    I'd hate to see a stand taken on ever apologizing. It's something a certain politician refuses to do and others are following that lead. I feel that not apologizing helps to create a more toxis environment. I think apologies have power. Apologizing for every little thing isn't what I mean but a sincere apology for something of importance goes a long way.
    I'm sorry if I didn't explain that very well. :)

Falling down,...not staying down
    "Apologizing for every little thing"

This is what I'm referring to. constantly saying, "I'm sorry".

"I'm sorry if I didn't explain that very well." Kat, that's exactly it. If we don't understand you, it's up to us to ask you more questions. No need for you to be SORRY.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Kat said:
    I'd hate to see a stand taken on ever apologizing. It's something a certain politician refuses to do and others are following that lead. I feel that not apologizing helps to create a more toxis environment. I think apologies have power. Apologizing for every little thing isn't what I mean but a sincere apology for something of importance goes a long way.

if in fact this was a joke it hit the nail on the head. the joke explained perfectly what i'm trying to understand.

Kat said:

Also, apologize out of a legit sense of having committed some kind of wrong. DON’T do it if “that’s the thing” or it’s demanded.

Believe it or not, I’m not talking about Trump ;)

Not all apologies are necessary. 
    edited July 2021
    hedonist said:

Also, apologize out of a legit sense of having committed some kind of wrong. DON’T do it if “that’s the thing” or it’s demanded.

If nothing was done wrong....
    Does anybody know(or take a guess) why a person repeatedly apologizes and connects that behavior to Jesus?

Does my friend's Jesus demand her apologize nearly every time we interact?

I think I'll ask her that, because I want to understand.

Religion is so weird to me. It does strange things to people's minds. Or maybe the person was weird to begin with and religion magnifies it?
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Sometimes apologizing profusely can be a part of how they were raised.  I tend to over apologize when I’m in someone’s way or if I feel like I’m bothering someone but I’ve figured out that it was because we (me and siblings) were getting in the way when dad was home.  Not really, as I’ve learned as an adult but he was just a d*** like that.  There may be more to it then the religious background, but maybe not. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    hedonist said:

If nothing was done wrong....
    Does anybody know(or take a guess) why a person repeatedly apologizes and connects that behavior to Jesus?

Does my friend's Jesus demand her apologize nearly every time we interact?

I think I'll ask her that, because I want to understand.

Religion is so weird to me. It does strange things to people's minds. Or maybe the person was weird to begin with and religion magnifies it?
    I think it can be both.  If you’re really looking for somewhere to belong I think everyone believes religions solve that problem.  I’ve seen totally normal friends find God/religion based on an experience and change completely and stay that way so who am I to say they didn’t experience something.  You’ll feel better if you speak with your friend. Your mind is running wild with questions and speculation so better to know the truth. 
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I find a genuine apology is really easy to tell if sincere.

Other times it's just easier to say sorry, than "I didn't mean to hit you with my grocery cart, I was looking the other way"
    It's almost always the response when someone tells you about a death, even if you didn't kill them.

I say it a lot out of habit in these instances.

I remember a section of the book "Americanah" Where a nigerian woman wonders why this country says sorry so much, even when
    we did nothing wrong.  So it may be cultural?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Why does religion compel buses to apologize? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    :lol:
    Ha!
    edited July 2021
    I thank Ten Club for allowing chat of Religion. Most Facebook groups don't and it's frustrating. As lost as the original person starting the chat is not antagonizing can be healthy to communicate with other online.

My friend watched the video I asked her to and responded to me. I'm not going to push her anymore on the issue. I am going to use thoughts gathered in this chat and write a letter to her. I'll keep it and I might email it to her if the repeat sorry starts again.

I'm a survivor of Parental Narcissistic Abuse. They would say sorry and do the same hurtful thing 3 days later. They would also make up things (create lies) they wanted me to be sorry for. So that's why "I'm sorry" triggers me.
    I have to be in the wrong and mean it for the words "I'm sorry." to come out of my mouth. (yes, that will be in the letter)

possible reasons she's repeatedly saying Sorry
    - Her perception of religion (she mention Jesus in her thoughts after watching video)
    - How she was raised
    - The need to belong (this concept is confusing to me, maybe because I'm ok with not belonging at times. As a motivator to repeatedly apologize in order to be included, I understand)

Nobody has on commented how/why females in America apologize.
    (ranking order/caste)

Post edited by blondieblue227 on

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2021
    I think it’s probably best to not make too many assumptions, as there could be several reasons for people “over-apologizing”.  Low self-confidence, anxiety, etc could be contributing factors.  It’s not only a religious thing and it’s not an “American” thing.  In fact, the British do it more than Americans according to this article:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/16/saying-im-sorry-can-make-people-think-poorly-of-you-research-heres-what-successful-people-do-instead.html
    It is annoying when people over-apologize, in the same way filler words can be annoying when someone is presenting.
    Question is, what made you deduce that it is a Christian or American thing?  Maybe you are drawing false conclusions based on your own personal biases related to those topics?  

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    I cant see this  as a woman or religion  problem.. we all have scars . Narcissists cause so much damage. Traumas of any kind mould us. Good and bad
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I cant see this  as a woman or religion  problem.. we all have scars . Narcissists cause so much damage. Traumas of any kind mould us. Good and bad
    Agreed. Can’t speak for others but I’ve never apologized for my “religion” (it’s complicated) or because I’m a woman. My stepdad pulled that mind game shit with me and I wasn’t having it. Won’t have it, from anyone.

I’ll never do that to others, or to myself. It’s fruitless.

And maybe I’m fortunate (?) but I haven’t seen this prevalence of apologizing among the women I know. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    Agreed. Can’t speak for others but I’ve never apologized for my “religion” (it’s complicated) or because I’m a woman. My stepdad pulled that mind game shit with me and I wasn’t having it. Won’t have it, from anyone.

I’ll never do that to others, or to myself. It’s fruitless.

And maybe I’m fortunate (?) but I haven’t seen this prevalence of apologizing among the women I know. 
    Sounds like you hang out with a buncha self-righteous bitches, man. :tongue:
    I SAW PEARL JAM