Viruses / Vaccines

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
edited January 2022 in A Moving Train

Let's continue an important discussion that could help everyone here.

I think this action by a Dept. of Health is a big mistake.

Brett Kelman, Nashville Tennessean

The Tennessee Department of Health will halt all adolescent vaccine outreach – not just for coronavirus, but all diseases – amid pressure from Republican state lawmakers, according to an internal report and agency emails obtained by the Tennessean. If the health department must issue any information about vaccines, staff are instructed to strip the agency logo off the documents.

The health department will also stop all COVID-19 vaccine events on school property, despite holding at least one such event this month. The decisions to end vaccine outreach and school events come directly from Health Commissioner Dr. Lisa Piercey, the internal report states.

Additionally, the health department will take steps to ensure it no longer sends postcards or other notices reminding teenagers to get their second dose of the coronavirus vaccines. Postcards will still be sent to adults, but teens will be excluded from the mailing list so the postcards are not “potentially interpreted as solicitation to minors,” the report states.

Continued at (Don't forget to not post complete articles because we respect copyrights. Just post a portion and link to the source, thank you.)

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2021/07/13/tennessee-halts-all-vaccine-outreach-minors-not-just-covid-19/7928701002/

Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    It's so sad that we have reached a point where politics is more important than public health. There is no longer 'for the greater good' in this country.  It's now 'for the greater good of my party'.  It's harmful to all of us.  
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    I'm (sarcastically) looking forward to the day when diseases I didn't even worry about as a kid are raging through schools. People are going to use their kids as pawns to own the libs.

pjhawks said:
    It's so sad that we have reached a point where politics is more important than public health. There is no longer 'for the greater good' in this country.  It's now 'for the greater good of my party'.  It's harmful to all of us.  

It makes me wonder if there ever really was a "greater good." I mean, first and foremost, vaccines help the recipient. It hasn't even gone from "greater good" to "for the party." More like "looking out for myself" to "for the party." 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    LA County has reimplemented indoor masks…even for the fully-vaccinated :i_dunno:
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    So with the rising cases in the world but more specifically the USA, I'm getting a bit worried. I'm vaccinated with Pfizer and have been maskless since it was advised. I felt pretty protected and quite frankly so relieved!  I knew the vax wasn't 100% but kept hearing we were unlikely to even get sick, let alone pass it on to someone else.

Unfortunately, I'm hearing about a lot of breatkthrough cases. The CDC is not tracking these unless you end up hospitalized.  While most of these cases seem to be mild and a lot of people thought they just had allergies or a cold, some are feeling pretty sick. Not hospitalized, just feeling awful.

I'm in Texas, so our vax rate isn't good. All of this had led me to the decision to start wearing my KN95 mask again. I work at Costco, so I'm around a crap ton of people.
    Believe me I did NOT want to start wearing the mask aging for 8 hours a day. It's fricking hot in the warehouse in the summer! I just feel things are about to get hairy again. I feel confident I won't end up in the hospital or dead, though I'm about to turn 59 so age is a factor,  but I just don't want Covid at all.

I felt a bit defeated today in a strange way. Getting vaccinated had really made me feel like a corner had been turned, and I believe they are tremendously helpful! People who get them are not dying. That's huge. This Delta crap though is just fricking bad and we are not done with this pandemic.

So, there's my story. Just felt like sharing it here.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    ^ I read that hedonist, and honestly I wonder if it's better that I do voluntarily. I mean, double vax will lower infection and serious outcome rates, but isn't it better not to catch it at all? 
    ^^^As for what Kat posted, I think I'm on the side of these politicians. I don't feel that the risk is worth it for kids (particularly the younger ones still developing) especially in a country that wouldn't reach herd anyhow?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    TN is a joke.  
    A safe one, but a joke nonetheless.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Canada is preparing to allow fully vaccinated American in mid-August and other countries mid-September, cruises in November.
    I wonder which vaccines will be approved? I assume we will go with WHO rather than CDN which didn't approve J&J.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Is this a new Covid-thread or what is happening?

Anyways, I'm getting my first shot on tuesday. Just in time for my vaccation.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2021/07/15/yankees-red-sox-postponed-after-new-york-positive-covid-19-tests/?p1=hp_featurestack

Red Sox / Yankees series for this weekend was cancelled due to a few Yankees testing positive. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    shortsighted and wasteful....

Canadian government rejects virus shots in US border tunnel
    Yesterday

DETROIT (AP) — The Canadian government has rejected a creative plan to have Ontario residents line up inside a U.S. border tunnel to tap into a surplus of COVID-19 vaccine held by Michigan, a mayor said.

A white stripe was painted inside the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel in the Detroit River. Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens proposed that Canadians would stand along the border while health care workers jab them.

“We’re not trying to send a man to the moon here. We’re using the infrastructure to accomplish a shared goal,” Dilkens told the Detroit Free Press. “This is a sensible, reasonable alternative to vaccines heading to the landfill.”

Motor vehicle travel between the countries is prohibited during the pandemic except for commercial truck traffic and workers deemed essential. Dilkens said partnering with Michigan, which has a vaccine surplus, would reduce the waiting time for Canadians who need a second shot.

But the Canada Border Services Agency told Dilkens that the tunnel clinic could disrupt travel and carry “significant security implications.”

Separately, Public Health Agency of Canada warned there could be trouble if the person giving the shot reached across the tunnel's white line into Canada.

“A vaccine cannot be imported into Canadian space without the express consent of Health Canada,” said Kathy Thompson, executive vice president at the agency.

More than 500,000 vaccine doses held by Michigan are set to expire by early August, said Lynn Sutfin, spokeswoman at the state health department.

“It’s dead,” Dilkens said of his plan. “Our government will not let this happen.”

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    ^^^^ fine , lets put some folks on barges from each side, lash together in the middle of the river and get this done......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    hedonist said:
    LA County has reimplemented indoor masks…even for the fully-vaccinated :i_dunno:
    If the powers that be felt this to be a necessary measure, why would it not be effective immediately?  

tish said:
    ^^^As for what Kat posted, I think I'm on the side of these politicians. I don't feel that the risk is worth it for kids (particularly the younger ones still developing) especially in a country that wouldn't reach herd anyhow?
    Maybe for Covid but they are trying to stop providing information for ALL vaccines for kids including things like polio.  Now I would assume doctors would still get that word out but can you imagine the number of diseases we have basically eradicated because of vaccines that might come back if people stop getting vaccinated.  It's scary and will put the rest of the country at risk.  It's completely irresponsible.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    This anti vax thing is big in the Hasidic community here in NY.  Big time anti vaxxers.
    ^Hawkeye: I see what you mean. Isn't it stopping the info getting to kids? Isn't informed consent and age of consent an issue in the states now? 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    If the powers that be felt this to be a necessary measure, why would it not be effective immediately?  

Gotta say I wondered about that as well. Especially in bars that are open till 2am on Saturday into Sunday. 
    edited July 2021
    Ya, sometimes I wonder if they only stopped masking requirements to promote vaccinations as enticing or effective? 

Or maybe we all need to catch covid for herd, it's just safer with vax? Or not because this allows mutations... done thinking 4 now!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    edited July 2021
    ^ I wonder if BC will have to backtrack with our high levels of vaccination... I'll have to look up how we compare to CA...

Looks like your under 60% one dose, so maybe our vaccination efforts here won't result in a resurgence requiring masks again soon.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    To stick with the thread title 'Viruses / Vaccines", which one of these statements do you view to be true?

A.  You will either catch covid OR get vaccinated
    B.  You will either catch covid OR get vaccinated and catch covid

I tend to think B. is true, especially with more and more data pouring out of other heavily vaccinated countries.  So, if B. is true and we will all eventually catch covid, what do we see as the best way forward?

Discuss...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    To stick with the thread title 'Viruses / Vaccines", which one of these statements do you view to be true?

I tend to think B. is true, especially with more and more data pouring out of other heavily vaccinated countries.  So, if B. is true and we will all eventually catch covid, what do we see as the best way forward?

Discuss...
    Even if B is true, and I’m not sure it is, there’s still a much smaller chance of hospitalization or death if/when you catch it.

Discuss...
    You might still get it if you are vaccinated but it will be much less severe. Almost all hospitalizations and deaths right now are the unvaccinated. Not getting vaccinated, other than for specific medical reasons, is just putting yourself as a much greater risk of severe symptoms and possibly death.   There really isn't a logical reason at this point not to get vaccinated in my opinion.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,703
    B
    and survive and not get long covid.
    I will take that
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,703
    We have an epidemic  of young people  unable to work  or function due to long covid in this country.  Not  many virus  do that to people 
     Take it seriously 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094

Discuss...

I just don’t get it, the data is available and points in an overwhelming direction towards the truth,

….

” Los Angeles County is seeing a surge in new Covid-19 coronavirus cases, topping 1,000 for the fifth straight day Wednesday, and though hospitalizations remain low, each infected patient admitted to a county hospital has not had all their vaccine shots, officials said.

To date, we have not had a patient admitted to a [Department of Health Services] hospital who has been fully vaccinated, with either the J&J, Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Every single patient that we’ve admitted for Covid is not yet fully vaccinated,” county health services director Dr. Christina Ghaly told the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday.

99.5% of COVID-19 deaths in the US are now in unvaccinated people, CDC head says

….

why is this still even up for debate among 40% of the population who are loyal to a man and not a country? As cases are skyrocketing in 38 states?

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Because they are distracted by the people in charge all still talking about other things....how many people get the virus, how many test, what variants there are, % of people with 1 shot, etc...

There should be a basic publication, daily, of the death toll in 1 way:

(example)
    USA - New Deaths - 7/15/2021
    Unvaccinated - 347
    Vaccinated - 3

That is it. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I've been thinking a lot about the science and the information (not misinformation) being shared to help people survive. Natural Selection, Charles Darwin, and how the humans being vaxxed going forward have a better chance of survival...that helps the human race. Those viruses are adapting so they can survive and we have to do that also, but even better. Be safe all. :)

Falling down,...not staying down
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Discuss...

I just don’t get it, the data is available and points in an overwhelming direction towards the truth,

….

” Los Angeles County is seeing a surge in new Covid-19 coronavirus cases, topping 1,000 for the fifth straight day Wednesday, and though hospitalizations remain low, each infected patient admitted to a county hospital has not had all their vaccine shots, officials said.

To date, we have not had a patient admitted to a [Department of Health Services] hospital who has been fully vaccinated, with either the J&J, Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Every single patient that we’ve admitted for Covid is not yet fully vaccinated,” county health services director Dr. Christina Ghaly told the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday.

99.5% of COVID-19 deaths in the US are now in unvaccinated people, CDC head says

….

why is this still even up for debate among 40% of the population who are loyal to a man and not a country? As cases are skyrocketing in 38 states?

This is why I don’t even care debating about this too much. 99.5% of deaths are those unvaccinated, Similar with hospitalizations. So only those unvaccinated are at risk. If someone chooses to not be vaccinated, with only few exceptions, that decisions only impacts them. 
    People keep saying the variants are going to change that, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that. I just keep seeing numbers like that 99.5% you posted.
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    Vaccines aren't the puzzle piece to this solution. How many people in the world saw this pandemic and decided to live a healthier life? We don't hear about that side of the pandemic at all. If you live an unhealthy lifestyle, your odds of getting even more sick go way up. How people stopped smoking due to the dangers presented by COVID? How many obese people saw that this disease really hits the obese people hard and have decided to lose weight? Living a healthier lifestyle would not only help with COVID, but with the healthcare costs in America as a whole.

I'm fully vaccinated and have been for some time. I do believe in the vaccine but there's so much more that we should be doing to protect everyone from COVID and everything else that doesn't get discussed. I see the government all day long pressuring everyone to take the vaccine but I don't see the government pressuring obese people to lose weight.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JB16057 said:
    Vaccines aren't the puzzle piece to this solution. How many people in the world saw this pandemic and decided to live a healthier life? We don't hear about that side of the pandemic at all. If you live an unhealthy lifestyle, your odds of getting even more sick go way up. How people stopped smoking due to the dangers presented by COVID? How many obese people saw that this disease really hits the obese people hard and have decided to lose weight? Living a healthier lifestyle would not only help with COVID, but with the healthcare costs in America as a whole.

I'm fully vaccinated and have been for some time. I do believe in the vaccine but there's so much more that we should be doing to protect everyone from COVID and everything else that doesn't get discussed. I see the government all day long pressuring everyone to take the vaccine but I don't see the government pressuring obese people to lose weight.
    I recently worked on a report that contains a lot of this data. I can PM you a link of you like. 

Let me know. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
This discussion has been closed.