WOKE

verb
  1. past of wake1.
adjective
INFORMAL•US
adjective: woke; comparative adjective: woker; superlative adjective: wokest
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

The cover of the New York Post made me revisit this word.  Now the Post isn't a very good newspaper by any means.  It's written on a third grade level and the writers in it all seem angry to me, lol.

Here is the article i saw today.

Thoughts on the whole "woke" culture nowadays? Is it going too far?

https://nypost.com/2021/07/05/liberals-media-turn-july-4th-into-america-bashfest/

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,425
     I guess after reading the first couple sections, its not ok to be critical of things in this country by pointing out the willful blindness of the selectively educated/indoctrinated masses in this country.   folks excersizing their FIRST amendment rights to be critical of goverment and its taught(government mandated how) is a more realized citizen than the rah rah bunch.  so to paraphrase or quote Maya Angelou, " when you know better, do better". Folks pointing out a fuller picture of issues or other petspective is affording the rest of us the opportunity to know better and do better.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mickeyrat said:
     I guess after reading the first couple sections, its not ok to be critical of things in this country by pointing out the willful blindness of the selectively educated/indoctrinated masses in this country.   folks excersizing their FIRST amendment rights to be critical of goverment and its taught(government mandated how) is a more realized citizen than the rah rah bunch.  so to paraphrase or quote Maya Angelou, " when you know better, do better". Folks pointing out a fuller picture of issues or other petspective is affording the rest of us the opportunity to know better and do better.
    The article I posted had me thinking it was segueing into cancel culture mentality which is to me the opposite of woke.  

Like anything these days it can be pushed to extremes.  To quote GI Joe "and knowing is half the battle" can apply here too.  The more you know the better off we are for sure.

mickeyrat said:
    The article I posted had me thinking it was segueing into cancel culture mentality which is to me the opposite of woke.  

Like anything these days it can be pushed to extremes.  To quote GI Joe "and knowing is half the battle" can apply here too.  The more you know the better off we are for sure.

having listened to Zinns A Peoples History on Audible,

well it made me fairly well disgusted on several levels.

We would do well to incorporate that book as well as other document supported histories from other perspectives into our education system

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

We would do well to incorporate that book as well as other document supported histories from other perspectives into our education system

Curious as to what your main takeaway on the Zinn piece was?  I believe his teachings revolve around Critical Race Theory so his name is a hot topic now too.
    edited July 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Curious as to what your main takeaway on the Zinn piece was?  I believe his teachings revolve around Critical Race Theory so his name is a hot topic now too.
    my main takeaway from Zinn was how inadequate my education in public schools was in regards to our nations history.

I dont recall him offering HIS opinion, but rather presenting facts backed up by documentation cited within a passage of our history. How that comports with CRT suggests those legal scholars are on to something.

At its heart CRT is about bias. one in which you could remove race as the central factor and insert economics  and its still about bias only against the poor in this instance.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

my main takeaway from Zinn was how inadequate my education in public schools was in regards to our nations history.

I dont recall him offering HIS opinion, but rather presenting facts backed up by documentation cited within a passage of our history. How that comports with CRT suggests those legal scholars are on to something.

At its heart CRT is about bias. one in which you could remove race as the central factor and insert economics  and its still about bias only against the poor in this instance.
    I've mentioned this before in that I had very good teachers whom taught outside of the textbooks so that and reading political magazines listening to talkshows on the radio a lot helped me.

Zinn had said to not take what he did as a whole but as a part and listed other sources of material to get a bigger picture.  He has them listed on his site I believe?

One thing I learned about NY was how Long Island was built and to keep certain ethnicities out of it.  It was an eye opening discovery.  Then I researched the Projects which weren't just done here in NY but other big cities like Chicago and Philly and the moving of people around in what seemed like a good idea but was race based too.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I find the word itself stupid; maybe it’s another bastardization of a(nother?) word. I see it as awareness, openness to views that may ruffle feathers, and for me, willingness to share my own should they *gasp!* deviate from others.

Haven’t read Zinn, sorry. I know them’s fighting words in some parts ;)
    hedonist said:
    I find the word itself stupid; maybe it’s another bastardization of a(nother?) word. I see it as awareness, openness to views that may ruffle feathers, and for me, willingness to share my own should they *gasp!* deviate from others.

lol, I put Woke right up there with On Fleek.
    hedonist said:

there are other tenses of the root that are more appropriate imo. but to use woke by itself isnt correct. be awakened to, woke up to the fact, am awake to....

more appropriate , no longer ignorant of,  now aware of.... etc

mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

there are other tenses of the root that are more appropriate imo. but to use woke by itself isnt correct. be awakened to, woke up to the fact, am awake to....

Tell the Woke crowd that they are using the word wrong, lol.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    edited July 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

I think it's the right wing think tank that are (intentionally) using the term wrong, not unlike critical race theory.

When they want to sabotage something, all of a sudden everything they don't like becomes that thing. 
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:

I think it's the right wing think tank that are (intentionally) using the term wrong, not unlike critical race theory.

When they want to sabotage something, all of a sudden everything they don't like becomes that thing. 
    Definitely not.  The term Woke gets used just like that in the context.  I do agree that right wingers use it like that too.  
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Seems Tejanos are afraid of being "woke." Boo! What's that term again? Snowflake?

Opinion: Texas Republicans rush to guard the Alamo from the facts

Jason Stanford is the Austin-based writer of the Substack newsletter the Experiment and the co-author, with Bryan Burrough and Chris Tomlinson, of “Forget the Alamo: The Rise and Fall of an American Myth.”

With more than 300 RSVPs, the event hosted by the Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin was shaping up to be the highlight of our virtual book tour for “Forget the Alamo: The Rise and Fall of an American Myth.” But about four hours before showtime last Thursday, my co-authors, Bryan Burrough and Chris Tomlinson, and I received an email from our publisher. The Bullock had backed out, citing “increased pressure on social media.” Apparently, the state history museum was no place to discuss state history.

This isn’t how things are supposed to work, even in Texas, but the truth turned out to be even worse. The state history museum wasn’t bowing to social media pressure but to political pressure from the state’s Republican lieutenant governor, Dan Patrick, who claimed credit for the kill the next day.

“As a member of the Preservation Board, I told staff to cancel this event as soon as I found out about it,” tweeted Patrick, adding, “This fact-free rewriting of TX history has no place @BullockMuseum.”

Minor umbrage compels me to defend the book as well as the museum, which currently is hosting a Jim Crow exhibition. As The Post noted in its review of our book, we “challenge the traditional view” of the Alamo saga, one popularized by Disney and John Wayne and cemented by politicians in the Texas school curriculum.

The Heroic Anglo Narrative is that in 1836, about 200 Texians (as White settlers were known, to distinguish them from Tejanos) fought a doomed battle at a Spanish mission in San Antonio against thousands of Mexican troops, buying Gen. Sam Houston enough time to defeat tyranny in the form of Mexican ruler Santa Anna and win freedom for Texas. The myth leaves much out, most notably that Texians opposed Mexican laws that would free the enslaved workers they needed to farm cotton.

Politicians barricading the figurative doors of the Alamo in defense of the myth are nothing new. In 2018, a panel reviewing the state history curriculum suggested not requiring seventh-graders to learn that those who died at the Alamo were “heroic.” Republican state political leaders, including Sen. Ted Cruz and Land Commissioner George P. Bush — the nephew and grandson of presidents and the state officeholder with oversight of the historic site — reacted as if the Alamo were once again besieged.

“Stop political correctness in our schools,” tweeted the state’s Republican governor, Greg Abbott. “Of course Texas schoolchildren should be taught that Alamo defenders were ‘Heroic’!”

In the past few years, the boogeyman for these self-appointed defenders of ersatz history has evolved from a generalized “political correctness” to the New York Times’s 1619 Project and other efforts to center slavery and the role of racism in the American story. More than 20 states have introduced or passed legislation that attempts to prescribe how racial matters can be taught. In Texas last month, Abbott signed into law an act establishing a committee called the 1836 Project (get it?) to “promote patriotic education.”

Texas conservatives continue to appear quite exercised about the possibility of public-school students learning more about slavery and racism. So much so that Abbott has added further discussion about a ban on the teaching of critical race theory to the agenda for an upcoming special legislative session.

This is the political flotsam in which our virtual book event was snagged. A couple of days before the scheduled talk, the head of a right-wing think tank in Austin took to Twitter to attack the Bullock Museum for using public resources to provide a platform for our “trashy non-history book,” taking care to tag the governor, lieutenant governor and house speaker. They sit on the State Preservation Board, which oversees the museum.

On the day of the event, July 1, the think tank posted: “Like the New York Times’s debunked 1619 Project, this is an effort to diminish the great figures of history and place slavery at the center of every story.” As it happens, several of the central figures in the story of the Alamo, including William Barret Travis and Jim Bowie, either enslaved people or had attested to the importance of slavery. A few hours after the think tank’s post, the event was canceled.

I’ll leave it to First Amendment scholars to say whether forbidding a state facility to host a conversation because of the contents of a book constitutes censorship. As a Texan, I’m just embarrassed to be governed by politicians who quaver at the prospect of a single uncomfortable conversation. If Texans were tough enough to fight at the Alamo, they should be tough enough to talk about why.

Opinion | Texas Republicans rush to guard the Alamo from the facts - The Washington Post

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Seems Tejanos are afraid of being "woke." Boo! What's that term again? Snowflake?

Opinion: Texas Republicans rush to guard the Alamo from the facts

Jason Stanford is the Austin-based writer of the Substack newsletter the Experiment and the co-author, with Bryan Burrough and Chris Tomlinson, of “Forget the Alamo: The Rise and Fall of an American Myth.”

With more than 300 RSVPs, the event hosted by the Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin was shaping up to be the highlight of our virtual book tour for “Forget the Alamo: The Rise and Fall of an American Myth.” But about four hours before showtime last Thursday, my co-authors, Bryan Burrough and Chris Tomlinson, and I received an email from our publisher. The Bullock had backed out, citing “increased pressure on social media.” Apparently, the state history museum was no place to discuss state history.

This isn’t how things are supposed to work, even in Texas, but the truth turned out to be even worse. The state history museum wasn’t bowing to social media pressure but to political pressure from the state’s Republican lieutenant governor, Dan Patrick, who claimed credit for the kill the next day.

“As a member of the Preservation Board, I told staff to cancel this event as soon as I found out about it,” tweeted Patrick, adding, “This fact-free rewriting of TX history has no place @BullockMuseum.”

Minor umbrage compels me to defend the book as well as the museum, which currently is hosting a Jim Crow exhibition. As The Post noted in its review of our book, we “challenge the traditional view” of the Alamo saga, one popularized by Disney and John Wayne and cemented by politicians in the Texas school curriculum.

The Heroic Anglo Narrative is that in 1836, about 200 Texians (as White settlers were known, to distinguish them from Tejanos) fought a doomed battle at a Spanish mission in San Antonio against thousands of Mexican troops, buying Gen. Sam Houston enough time to defeat tyranny in the form of Mexican ruler Santa Anna and win freedom for Texas. The myth leaves much out, most notably that Texians opposed Mexican laws that would free the enslaved workers they needed to farm cotton.

Politicians barricading the figurative doors of the Alamo in defense of the myth are nothing new. In 2018, a panel reviewing the state history curriculum suggested not requiring seventh-graders to learn that those who died at the Alamo were “heroic.” Republican state political leaders, including Sen. Ted Cruz and Land Commissioner George P. Bush — the nephew and grandson of presidents and the state officeholder with oversight of the historic site — reacted as if the Alamo were once again besieged.

“Stop political correctness in our schools,” tweeted the state’s Republican governor, Greg Abbott. “Of course Texas schoolchildren should be taught that Alamo defenders were ‘Heroic’!”

In the past few years, the boogeyman for these self-appointed defenders of ersatz history has evolved from a generalized “political correctness” to the New York Times’s 1619 Project and other efforts to center slavery and the role of racism in the American story. More than 20 states have introduced or passed legislation that attempts to prescribe how racial matters can be taught. In Texas last month, Abbott signed into law an act establishing a committee called the 1836 Project (get it?) to “promote patriotic education.”

Texas conservatives continue to appear quite exercised about the possibility of public-school students learning more about slavery and racism. So much so that Abbott has added further discussion about a ban on the teaching of critical race theory to the agenda for an upcoming special legislative session.

This is the political flotsam in which our virtual book event was snagged. A couple of days before the scheduled talk, the head of a right-wing think tank in Austin took to Twitter to attack the Bullock Museum for using public resources to provide a platform for our “trashy non-history book,” taking care to tag the governor, lieutenant governor and house speaker. They sit on the State Preservation Board, which oversees the museum.

On the day of the event, July 1, the think tank posted: “Like the New York Times’s debunked 1619 Project, this is an effort to diminish the great figures of history and place slavery at the center of every story.” As it happens, several of the central figures in the story of the Alamo, including William Barret Travis and Jim Bowie, either enslaved people or had attested to the importance of slavery. A few hours after the think tank’s post, the event was canceled.

I’ll leave it to First Amendment scholars to say whether forbidding a state facility to host a conversation because of the contents of a book constitutes censorship. As a Texan, I’m just embarrassed to be governed by politicians who quaver at the prospect of a single uncomfortable conversation. If Texans were tough enough to fight at the Alamo, they should be tough enough to talk about why.

Opinion | Texas Republicans rush to guard the Alamo from the facts - The Washington Post

This fits in the CRT thread too.

It would have been a nice touch if they talked about how Ozzy Osbourne was banned from Texas for pissing on the statue by there.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited July 2021
    I have to admit I found the term to be nauseating from the get-go. It just seems blatantly arrogant to me.

I think "Woke" is going the same way as "politically correct".  It starts of with good intentions, and then gets assimilated by the most ardent true believers, and then tends to have a reverse affect from where it all started.  I would say the most detrimental affect of either of those notions is that whatever the subject, it becomes de rigueur to accept something that has strict limited parameters without actually doing any research for oneself or looking at the whole picture.  In other words, blind acceptance without critical thinking. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Ignorance is bliss.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/16/politics/san-francisco-school-board-members-recall-election/index.html

This might not be the perfect place for this but not sure where else to put it.

Could San Francisco really head back into Rep hands?  The people have had enough it seems about everything and just want to vote opposite?

I don't think we have anyone here in the AMT that lives in Frisco do we?
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/16/politics/san-francisco-school-board-members-recall-election/index.html

Could San Francisco really head back into Rep hands?  The people have had enough it seems about everything and just want to vote opposite?

Nah. It seems to me this is parents pissed other things seemed to be a priority than their kids. It should be seen as quite the gauntlet being thrown to put the focus where it belongs as #1 and the rest as can be fit in.

• mickeyrat said:
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/16/politics/san-francisco-school-board-members-recall-election/index.html

Nah. It seems to me this is parents pissed other things seemed to be a priority than their kids. It should be seen as quite the gauntlet being thrown to put the focus where it belongs as #1 and the rest as can be fit in.
    School renaming rather than focus on kids would do it.

The article touched on actually voting Republican though?  That is a huge flip for that area.

California is the one place where the voters are recalling officials.  You hear that about this more than anywhere else.
    mickeyrat said:

The article touched on actually voting Republican though?  That is a huge flip for that area.

California is the one place where the voters are recalling officials.  You hear that about this more than anywhere else.

I dont see where it touched on voting gop, rather that it would be hailed by gop circles......

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Here’s a good summary of the SF school board recall. Granted, it’s from Mother Jones, but it gets to the main points/reasons for the recall without being politically partisan. Basically, the recall came down to incompetence:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/02/san-francisco-school-board-recall/
  • mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I dont see where it touched on voting gop, rather that it would be hailed by gop circles......
    There was this.  

The successful effort in one of the country's most liberal cities is likely to embolden Republicans who have channeled parental anger over school reopenings and mask mandates into a powerful wedge issue, including last fall in Virginia. For Democrats, especially those making decisions in blue states, the vote highlighted internal divisions over how to handle the pandemic as cases decline but the threat of another surge looms.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596

I used to but...
    Don39t Call It Frisco by Herb Caen

:lol: 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Here’s a good summary of the SF school board recall. Granted, it’s from Mother Jones, but it gets to the main points/reasons for the recall without being politically partisan. Basically, the recall came down to incompetence:

wow.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Another Pyrrhic victory.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:

I used to but...

Did someone say Frisco?

Frisco, co - Google Search
  • Here’s a good summary of the SF school board recall. Granted, it’s from Mother Jones, but it gets to the main points/reasons for the recall without being politically partisan. Basically, the recall came down to incompetence:

That article was way better than the CNN one that is for sure.  Thanks for posting.  The segue article that can be put here wasthe one about the Murals.  That was a fascinating read.

It appears that people aren't sure what to be offended by and if removing them which shows actual history, would do more harm.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/dont-whitewash-history/
  • brianlux said:

I used to but...

HA!  Like people in Louisiana don't say Crawdads.  That is reserved for Texans apparently.  Mudbugs?  Well that appears to be a Mississippi thing.
  • dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Another Pyrrhic victory.
    If you read the article that Jerparker posted it's not really.
  • brianlux said:

I used to but...

Did someone say Frisco?

Frisco, co - Google Search
    The Dam Road, Swan Mountain Road, Buffalo Mountain, Spacin' at the Basin, The O.D.I., The Mole Hole, The Crib, Snake River Saloon, Peak 7, The Allys, East/West Walls, Montezuma, Ski Tip Lodge, etc. Did someone say Summit County?

Brilliantati©