Options

Hello Fans

SCHSCH Easton CT Posts: 59
Foo Fighters playing MSG this month. Bruce performing on Broadway, it goes on and on.
  7 years waiting for an album, then Covid.  EV plays with a different group for vaccination event.  Are we sure Pearl Jam is  actually still together? I know there are a few shows down the road and next year.  Is there not any urgency to to something live as a band with new songs for its very loyal fan base?

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    Yes. Yes we are. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    You have a different idea of what "fan loyalty" gets them/us than I do. 
    The way that I see it, there is no responsibility to tour or to make new music that you like. 
    Because you buy their music, you feel they owe you something? 

They made a product.
    You bought it.
    End of transaction.
    If they offer you the chance to see them play, and you pay for it...they play and you watch.
    End of transaction.
    If they offer you clothing or even stupid viewfinders...and you pay for it.  You get to keep what you paid for.
    End of transaction.

Why is there a feeling that fans are owed anything by bands?
    This is very odd, to me.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    They have 2 shows scheduled for September.  September of this year. You could attend one if you want. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,067
    In some ways who wants to be the first major world famous band to test out a concert post pandemic!?! Great that FF are doing this, though many bands, like PJ, are probably looking to see how these events go. Assuming everything is fine the PJ Sept shows and 2022 Euro shows will go ahead with I imagine some more US shows will be arranged in the Autumn or Spring. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    SCH said:
    Foo Fighters playing MSG this month. Bruce performing on Broadway, it goes on and on.
      7 years waiting for an album, then Covid.  EV plays with a different group for vaccination event.  Are we sure Pearl Jam is  actually still together? I know there are a few shows down the road and next year.  Is there not any urgency to to something live as a band with new songs for its very loyal fan base?

Nailed it. 

They have shows planned, but aren't actually still together. Good call. 
  • Options
    SCHSCH Easton CT Posts: 59
    They don't owe anybody anything. I will always love Pearl Jam more than any band. They can do as little as they want.  Simply stating their output over the past 8 or 9 years is very very low, compared to the previous 10 years and compared to many other bands.  Can be frustrating as a fan...none of us are getting any younger. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder 
  • Options
    JM144705JM144705 Philadelphia Posts: 429
    SCH said:
    They don't owe anybody anything. I will always love Pearl Jam more than any band. They can do as little as they want.  Simply stating their output over the past 8 or 9 years is very very low, compared to the previous 10 years and compared to many other bands.  Can be frustrating as a fan...none of us are getting any younger. 
    Actually they owe thousands of fans either hundreds of dollars (millions to them) or to play the shows that have been paid for a year ago. So yeah, they do owe a lot of people things. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    :lol:.   
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,447
    edited June 2021
    pjhawks said:
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    EdVedder_1EdVedder_1 Posts: 144
    I've got tickets to shows in a country they can't get into right now. I'm still excited about that. :)
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    Also… Foo Fighters in the new Dodge commercial.  Pearl Jam needs to step it up!  🤣
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,522
    The way that I see it, there is no responsibility to tour or to make new music that you like. 

They made a product.
    You bought it.
    End of transaction.
    If they offer you the chance to see them play, and you pay for it...they play and you watch.
    End of transaction.
    If they offer you clothing or even stupid viewfinders...and you pay for it.  You get to keep what you paid for.
    End of transaction.

This is very odd, to me.
    This is the most factually correct statement I have ever read. Ever.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475

I imagine Pearl Jam wants to be back on the road if for no other reason than to support their crew and employees who depend on the band for their livelihood... believe it or not, there are more important things at stake here than satisfying a "very loyal fan base".

Ament mentioned in a recent interview that considering how much their fans travel to see them, they want to get this right. Impatient fans don't seem to be factoring into their decision at this moment. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378

They made a product.
    You bought it.
    End of transaction.
    End of transaction.
    End of transaction.

This is very odd, to me.
    Spot on.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

They made a product.
    You bought it.
    End of transaction.
    End of transaction.
    End of transaction.

This is very odd, to me.

Perfectly Said.

Also if you wanted your money back for tickets you could have gotten it already.

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    It would not be a good idea to grab onto pearl jam too hard.
    yes every show is still special. yes they are still together.
    yes, they play into, absence makes the heart grow fonder scene.
    and that, vs over saturation ... i get their plan... especially now...a legacy band!
    finding other incredible newer live bands is the only solution imo.
    i'm loyal fan for sure, but i'm also not going to sit around waiting, cause that drove me mad.