Options

When is the gift of music not?

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675

Hmm, this makes me smile.  My brother, (age 16), gave me (age 15) The Who’s double album The Kids Are Alright for Christmas one year.  He said it was because he thought I was listening to the wrong kind of music.  At the time I thought, it is only because YOU want it.  Hfffm. 

That was over 40 years ago, and The Who are and always will be my favorite band.  I worship Pete Townshend and no music has ever touched my soul so deep as Pete’s words/music.

My brother passed away 7 years ago, and I miss him every day.  I still have that album, it has survived multiple moves over the years, and it has a lot of wear and tear, but I will never part with it.

So, it may not always work out when someone tries to introduce you to different music, but sometimes it does. 

Thanks for this thread and bringing back memories.  

That is one special album.  So great that you still have it.  I'm sorry you lost your brother but very glad for you that you have something like that record to keep the memories close.  Wonderful story. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    Pay it forward. I say it’s never a bad idea to give someone the gift of music. It is, of course, a gamble, but if the receiver doesn’t dig it, I’d be thrilled if they gave it to someone who might like it. 

I sent you a Headstones CD not knowing if you’d like it, right? I wouldn’t have been upset in the least if you didn’t like it and told me you gave it to a friend. 

Yeah, I like the pay it forward idea.  The thing is, the particular issue that I mentioned at the start here is too complicated to go in to (got an hour?  Haha, no, I won't do that to you!)  In any case, the bottom like is it's easier right now to just hang on to the album and not tip the teetering cart.  All well  that stays cool.
    And Headstones, yeah, ya get luck sometimes!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    People need to be careful gifting music. A friend of mine knew I liked R.E.M., so when he was at a record store he saw of copy of Life's Rich Pageant on vinyl and bought it for me. I didn't own a turntable. I ended up buying a turntable to listen to it and now have bought quite a few records. My wife is still not thrilled that he bought me that first record.   
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    People need to be careful gifting music. A friend of mine knew I liked R.E.M., so when he was at a record store he saw of copy of Life's Rich Pageant on vinyl and bought it for me. I didn't own a turntable. I ended up buying a turntable to listen to it and now have bought quite a few records. My wife is still not thrilled that he bought me that first record.   
    LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD