Anyone else have a PhD in English (or in a PhD program)?

whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I just want to get your thoughts on the experience. I am currently ABD, and in my 7th year of graduate school, and unfortunately, I feel that going back to school for the PhD was a mistake.

Your thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    As a fellow English major, I compliment you on your choice of study. I've never regretted my major and it has served me well in my professional life.

My original plan was to get a PhD but I stopped after my MA. At first, I was only "taking a break" but I eventually decided the doctorate wasn't worth it. For a while I was depressed about what I saw as giving up. Then I decided on another line of work and I haven't been sorry.

I can't answer your question but the deciding factor for me was the complete lack of tenure track jobs in the liberal arts. And that was in the 70s! I don't even want to know what the job market is like now.

I can't really answer your question but I can tell you from my experience of 25+ years working in non-profits: having a graduate degree in English isn't a bad thing. People assume you're smart as hell (at least as long as you act like a normal human being and don't talk literary stuff at them). And occasionally you meet people who actually are interested in literature.

I read an article in the New York Times a couple of years ago that convinced me that my Master's in English was just as valuable for the work I do as if I'd majored in the social sciences. Will I make as much as a CPA or an attorney? No, but I've enjoyed the jobs I've had. What I do now is very satisfying.

I've met people with advanced degrees in English who are doing an incredible variety of things. You might be surprised at what talents you can bring to a work setting other than academia.

I like to say that when I gave up on getting a PhD, I never looked back. I don't have to because other people do it for me! 30 years later, I'm still asked if I wouldn't like to be teaching English. :roll: Hells yes, I was a BRILLIANT English teacher. But I don't miss grading papers.

I'm a little curious. Do you have a current teaching job? Is it keeping you from writing your dissertation?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    No, I don't have a PhD in English & am not in a PhD program so I don't actually have anything helpful to say. This thread just reminded me of a YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obTNwPJv ... ata_player

(P.S. It really is impressive that you've made it this far though. :thumbup: )
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    _ wrote:
    No, I don't have a PhD in English & am not in a PhD program so I don't actually have anything helpful to say. This thread just reminded me of a YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obTNwPJv ... ata_player
    Yeah, that was me circa 1977. I see things haven't changed much. :lol:

And I agree, you've accomplished a lot by going this far. :clap: I'd suggest finding a way to feel good about that accomplishment rather than seeing it as a mistake.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    My PhD thesis submission was completed on June 7th 2021! :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Pap said:
    Congrats!!! @Pap. That is an amazing feeling. It recently hit me that I got my Ph.D. in 2001. Where did those 20 years go. Yikes!!!
    GlowGirl said:
    Pap said:
    Congrats!!! @Pap. That is an amazing feeling. It recently hit me that I got my Ph.D. in 2001. Where did those 20 years go. Yikes!!!
    Thank you very much! To be honest, I haven't stopped smiling since the moment I submitted it (and I haven't passed the Viva yet)... :innocent:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Pap said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Pap said:
    Thank you very much! To be honest, I haven't stopped smiling since the moment I submitted it (and I haven't passed the Viva yet)... :innocent:
    I am so happy for you. One of my students is doing her oral defense of her dissertation tomorrow. I am the head of her dissertation committee. I have been working with her now for at least 5 years on this. I think I am as excited as she is. Savor this moment. 
    edited June 2021
    ^ Congrats to you for guiding her up to this point! All the best to your PhD student! How many students you have supervised in total?
    Post edited by Pap on
    Pap said:
    ^ Congrats to you for guiding her up to this point! All the best to your PhD student! How many students you have supervised in total?
    Over the years, quite a few. However, I am taking a break from it for a while. I am focusing mainly on teaching now. I have one more student that is in the middle of the process, and I think she will be my last for a bit. It can get really time consuming, and as you know it is a stressful situation for the students. I enjoy it, but need a break for a bit.

GlowGirl said:
    Pap said:
    Over the years, quite a few. However, I am taking a break from it for a while. I am focusing mainly on teaching now. I have one more student that is in the middle of the process, and I think she will be my last for a bit. It can get really time consuming, and as you know it is a stressful situation for the students. I enjoy it, but need a break for a bit.

I can totally relate, but kudos to you for all those successful doctorates! Good luck with your last PhD student (for the time being)! :wink: Personally, I am at the point that I cannot wait to supervise my first student... :glasses: Oh those early career researchers... :smile:
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    edited October 2023
    Pap said:
    My PhD thesis submission was completed on June 7th 2021! 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    edited June 2021
    tish said:
    Pap said:
    Congratulations, Pap!!!

I am using up my last elective credits in an M.Ed degree doing course work rather than pursuing thesis, thereby opting out of PhD programs. 
    Thank you so much, Tish! :smile: Good luck with your Masters! When is your dissertation due?
    Post edited by Pap on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    I speak english somewhat fluently.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I was awarded a PhD in Digital Preservation on September 14th 2021! :triumph:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited September 2021
    Pap said:

Congratulations, Pap!

I have close to enough college credits to have earned a PhD if I had concentrated on one field.  But since my interests are all over the place, so are my college credits. The only thing I'm missing from my repertoire is a class on Mathematical Computations of Turbulent Fluid Flow.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited September 2021
    brianlux said:
    Pap said:

Congratulations, Pap!
    Thank you Brian! :smile:
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    brianlux said:
    Pap said:

Congratulations, Pap!

I have close to enough college credits to have earned a PhD if I had concentrated on one field.  But since my interests are all over the place, so are my college credits. The only thing I'm missing from my repertoire is a class on Mathematical Computations of Turbulent Fluid Flow.
    That's "Dr. Pap" to you, bud. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    edited October 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    mrussel1 said: That's "Dr. Pap" to you, bud. 
    tish said:

Thank you so much, you guys! :hug:
  • Well done @Pap
    Well done @Pap
    Thank you so much M! :smiley:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Congrats, Pap!

:lol:
    No Ralph this means you39re failing English TheSimpsons

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    eeriepadave said: Congrats, Pap!
    Thanks a million Dave! :smile: