Musical Paralysis

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
edited June 2021 in Other Music
(With no disrespect to those with medical paralysis)

Musical paralysis is a term that refers to your state of mind where you stop seeking-out new bands, and only listen to what you already know.

I am 55, and I think I am finally hitting the point where I don't need to seek out any new bands.

Anyone else at that point?
Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    never. 

Need new shit. Gotta keep movin. I burn out on old stuff. 
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I love finding new music, but I think Tim and I may be the minority.
    Just turning on the radio in my section of world seems to prove my point.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I listen to XMU on satellite radio but only a few of the new-ish bands catch my attention....Idles, Alvvays, Fontaines DC, Carseat Headrest
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm almost 70 and am still and probably for ever seeking out new bands, new music.  But I will say, new things that really roll my socks don't happen very often these days.  When they do, I'm totally thrilled!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    lol.. I'm in my early (close to mid) 40s.   I think I hit this a while back.  I think the problem is time.   When I was younger I had all the time in the world to play an album over and over again, or catch songs on the radio.   Now music has to hit me the first time or I move on.  That's tragic because when I was young only so many albums had you from the first listen... most of them needed time to breath.

I don't really seek out new music, but every once and a while I find something new I like.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    I'm in my early 50's and try to keep an open mind on new music. Most of what I hear now is not something I would actively seek out,  but Dirty Honey and Silver Synthetic are two new bands that I have been enjoying lately.  
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    I tend to explore old stuff I missed out on.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I'm in my early 50's and try to keep an open mind on new music. Most of what I hear now is not something I would actively seek out,  but Dirty Honey and Silver Synthetic are two new bands that I have been enjoying lately.  
    Yes! Love Silver Synthetic! Bought it on a whim.

I will say that my "new" music discoveries are usually old bands that I never really listened to when they were at their peak. For instance, I just listened to The Strokes' Is This It for the for time in my life today after receiving Room on Fire as part of a subscription a few months back and digging that.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    There's a great local station here in KC (90.9 The Bridge) that plays lots of new bands/artists from all kinds of genres & I stream their station throughout the day. They have a great app so I can stream anywhere. Love hearing new music...it makes me be more creative in my own songwriting. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    I think it partly depends on what type of music tends to grab you.

I hit the paralysis every so often, but then I go read reviews and check out new stuff.  I've found a lot of stuff that way.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Zod said:
    lol.. I'm in my early (close to mid) 40s.   I think I hit this a while back.  I think the problem is time.   When I was younger I had all the time in the world to play an album over and over again, or catch songs on the radio.   Now music has to hit me the first time or I move on.  That's tragic because when I was young only so many albums had you from the first listen... most of them needed time to breath.

I don't really seek out new music, but every once and a while I find something new I like.
    Loujoe said:
    I tend to explore old stuff I missed out on.
    both of these are me. I recently discovered Gruntruck, solely because Ed mentioned them on one of the early bootlegs. Vault 1? Or the NYE show with Speed Wash? Can't recall. 

I don't listen to the radio, but i'm always excited to discover new bands, and it was happening more going to shows and seeing the opener, but in the absence of that, if a band or artist I dig recommended some band/artist on their socials, then I'd take the time to check them out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    edited June 2021
    I just heard a new (to me) Scottish band this morning called William the Conqueror. I liked what I heard, so I've been listening to them today.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    and that "what are you listening to now?" thread has given me a lot of stuff to listen to. especially if the person embeds a youtube video
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD