When is the gift of music not?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
A bit of a dilemma for me came up again today in a discussion elsewhere.  A few years ago, a friend of mine gave me a vinyl copy of Cat Power's album Moon Pix. She is one of his favorite artists.   I listened to it once and thought I might jump off a tall building. It's not that the music is "bad" (I don't describe any music that way anyway). She's a fine songwriter and anyone who can make music that leaves me with feelings that strong is to be admired in some form at least. But it's just not my thing.

The point I'm trying to make here is that it's not always a great idea to give someone a record that you like when when you have no idea if the person you are giving it to is going to like it. I think the intention in doing that is generally meant to be good, but in a way that is unintentional, that's really more about the person doing the giving than it is the person receiving. I never get rid of books or records that are gifts, because I know the intent was meant to be generous. But sadly, here is a record that goes un-played that someone else might very much enjoy.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Sounds like if someone gave me a Weezer record. They are talented musicians and songwriters obviously, after all they have sold lots of albums, but they irritate me. 
    This reminds me of when I was about 12 or 13 and my mom’s boyfriend got me a NKOTB cassette for my birthday. I never played it.  I took it as a nice gesture and he was trying to relate to me somehow. However, I was a little puzzled, why did he think I would like that music? 🤔
    He was also a big Sabbath and Stones fan. It’s even more confusing when I think about it now. 

Fast forward about five years later and I came home and he was blasting one of my NOFX CDs 😂
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Sounds like if someone gave me a Weezer record. They are talented musicians and songwriters obviously, after all they have sold lots of albums, but they irritate me. 
    This reminds me of when I was about 12 or 13 and my mom’s boyfriend got me a NKOTB cassette for my birthday. I never played it.  I took it as a nice gesture and he was trying to relate to me somehow. However, I was a little puzzled, why did he think I would like that music? 🤔
    He was also a big Sabbath and Stones fan. It’s even more confusing when I think about it now. 

Fast forward about five years later and I came home and he was blasting one of my NOFX CDs 😂

Weezer is a great example.  Most people either love them or hate them.  Early on, I saw them on a late night show- I think it was Conan.  They did that song- not sure of the name, something about "Say it ain't so".  I thought they were pretty cool so I went out and bought the record.  Played the record and it just didn't do it for me at all.  Had to dump it off at a loss.  Talented band, but not my thing.  If I didn't know whether or not someone like them, I would buy them the record.  If they are fans, they probably have it already. 
    The only way I would buy music as a gift was if I knew the person had a wish list and didn't have the record or CD.  Just not worth chancing it.  It also puts the person receiving the gift in an awkward spot if they don't dig the music.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,602
    My friend hooked me up with a small pile of records. I didn't like them (and don't have much room) so I dumped them at a local rs so he could sell them. It's kind of criminal to hold records unspun or unloved.  It felt good to get them back into the wild.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    Ive had this both ways. All i can think is be honest.  Its all subjective  amd often mopd related. I got heavily  into the frames and it means so much to me. Others ive told its a must listen don't  FEEL it
    Thats ok same with RNDM i seriously  rate them and  joseph arther is up there for me. 
    But i know  not everyone  would feel what i feel from it.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Yes good example. I was on a big joseph arthur kick and most people I would play his stuff for didn't get it. It's almost better to just share that excitement with strangers at a show. Or in cyberspace like now!! 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    .... when its Justin Bieber.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I accept the gift and say thank you. No fakery. I hope that would be reciprocated.

When Binaural first came out, I shared it with my sister. She couldn’t get into it. Neither of us was crushed. 

It’s not like buying someone a dildo. It’s an album. If they don’t dig the music, so be it.
    Wait what. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Enlighten me on the protocol on dildos?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    M or NM? 7" or 12"? Black or colored?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I approach all gifts the same way with a thank you…and I never regift…

I have given gifts 🎁 in the past and could tell the person was not very happy…

I appreciate the thought…

Give Peas A Chance…
    hedonist said:
    I accept the gift and say thank you. No fakery. I hope that would be reciprocated.

When Binaural first came out, I shared it with my sister. She couldn’t get into it. Neither of us was crushed. 

It’s not like buying someone a dildo. It’s an album. If they don’t dig the music, so be it.
    Post of the year! Rack it. 😂
    Hobbes said:
    😂😂😂 oh man, there is a 14 year old boy in all of us. 
    Hobbes said:
    Not in me, mister!

...and Hobbes, the armchair aficionado? :lol:
    Enlighten me on the protocol on dildos?
    In most cases, it’s just a tad more personal than music ;)
    Wow!    A very interesting side-track penetrated this thread.  I'm guessing some Steely Dan record must have had something to do with that, right?
    :tongue:

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Is it ok to re-gift a dildo…I mean, if you were given the wrong size…or any other reason?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Is it ok to re-gift a dildo…I mean, if you were given the wrong size…or any other reason?  
    That’s what is known as a dil-DON’T. 
    hedonist said:
    Hobbes said:
    Not in me, mister!

Quite obviously. The comment was toward Hobbes and his post lol
    hedonist said:
    Hobbes said:
    Not in me, mister!

the 14 yr old boy or the dildo?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    hedonist said:

:lol:

gotta a old donnie osmond free for the taking.....

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    hedonist said:
    LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mickeyrat said:
    gotta a old donnie osmond free for the taking.....

The possibilities are nearly endless-
    Donny Osmond 45 Groovy image 0

Nice artifact^^^
    All I really remember about his tv show is a truckload of purple socks being dumped on him. Things were so different then. To talk to someone it was a landline, letter or actually visit with them. I'm missing that.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    hedonist said:
    Hobbes said:
    Not in me, mister!

Would hope not, 14 will get you 20.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    I did think  this and not  say it. I am a gentleman 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769

Hmm, this makes me smile.  My brother, (age 16), gave me (age 15) The Who’s double album The Kids Are Alright for Christmas one year.  He said it was because he thought I was listening to the wrong kind of music.  At the time I thought, it is only because YOU want it.  Hfffm. 

That was over 40 years ago, and The Who are and always will be my favorite band.  I worship Pete Townshend and no music has ever touched my soul so deep as Pete’s words/music.

My brother passed away 7 years ago, and I miss him every day.  I still have that album, it has survived multiple moves over the years, and it has a lot of wear and tear, but I will never part with it.

So, it may not always work out when someone tries to introduce you to different music, but sometimes it does. 

Thanks for this thread and bringing back memories.  

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    hedonist said:

Oh Hedo glad to know nothing has changed you over the years.  BTW, Binaural is my fav PJ album . . . I know . . I know . . when I tell people that they look at me like I'm an alien.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Pay it forward. I say it’s never a bad idea to give someone the gift of music. It is, of course, a gamble, but if the receiver doesn’t dig it, I’d be thrilled if they gave it to someone who might like it. 

I sent you a Headstones CD not knowing if you’d like it, right? I wouldn’t have been upset in the least if you didn’t like it and told me you gave it to a friend. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD