Mirror Ball is fuckin unreal thread

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
Listening to Scenery kick my ass, damn this album is so overlooked.  PJ is 100 million times better backing Neil than Crazy Horse.  Neil has such a friggin stank guitar!

Comments

• Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Crazy Horse is the best backing band that Neil has ever had, but yep, this was a great collaboration. Big fan of the album.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Yeah, no knocking the Horse. I do wish mid 90s PJ backed him for another record. Don’t know if current PJ would sound as vital backing him now. But man, hat was a moment. Can’t wait for the live Mirrorball LP/DVD. Hopefully it’s sooner. Would love a one off performance. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Pearl Jam is not 100 million times better backing NY than Crazy Horse. They aren’t even as good at backing NY as Crazy Horse. Even the band themselves would tell you that.
    Hyperbole aside, Mirror Ball is a really good album, but it probably isn’t even a top ten NY release for me. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited May 2021
    PJ and Neil were fine together, and although the Horse has had it's ups and down, when they are on it, there's very rarely been that kind of magic performed in music.  At that level, they are my absolute favorite band, bar none.  I was lucky to see them once at Shore Line (from way up in a tree) and they fucking blew my mind.  The power of the Horse was literally awesome.  Surprised I didn't fall out of the tree.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Yes... it is an unreal album.
    I was lucky enough to to see the last show of the Mirror Ball tour, and I can’t wait for the live release next year.

No... PJ are nowhere near the Horse.
    Check out Way Down In The Rust Bucket for all the evidence you need.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited May 2021
    goldrush said:
    I was lucky enough to to see the last show of the Mirror Ball tour, and I can’t wait for the live release next year.

Way Down in the Rust Bucket is indeed amazing. One of my very favourite live albums. Can't wait for the Ragged Glory and Weld reissues!
    To keep this on topic, also greatly looking forward to the NY/PJ live release, whenever that arrives.
    Post edited by Edved82 on
    goldrush said:

Edved82 said:
    goldrush said:

Way Down in the Rust Bucket is indeed amazing. One of my very favourite live albums. Can't wait for the Ragged Glory and Weld reissues!
    To keep this on topic, also greatly looking forward to the NY/PJ live release, whenever that arrives.

I guess being a HUGE Niel Young & Crazy Horse fan I should get Way Down In The Rust Bucket, huh?!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Edved82 said:
    goldrush said:

I guess being a HUGE Niel Young & Crazy Horse fan I should get Way Down In The Rust Bucket, huh?!
    It's a great companion piece to Weld, but it's a lot looser. 2.5 hours of the The Horse having fun, just locked into the groove in a club.

I sent a question into NYA recently asking about the proposed Mirror Ball Live release. Fingers crossed we get some news soon.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Edved82 said:
    goldrush said:

It's a great companion piece to Weld, but it's a lot looser. 2.5 hours of the The Horse having fun, just locked into the groove in a club.

I sent a question into NYA recently asking about the proposed Mirror Ball Live release. Fingers crossed we get some news soon.

Mirror Ball live would be excellent to have!  Also crossing my finger for re-issue of Weld on vinyl and DVD!  And Ragged Glory too!  I've have an original R.G. vinyl and because it's one LP, the grooves are microscopic and the sound (which should be HUGE) is rather weak.

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Well, I will have to check it out.  A lot of love for Crazy Horse
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Edved82 said:
    goldrush said:

Mirror Ball live would be excellent to have!  Also crossing my finger for re-issue of Weld on vinyl and DVD!  And Ragged Glory too!  I've have an original R.G. vinyl and because it's one LP, the grooves are microscopic and the sound (which should be HUGE) is rather weak.
    Reissues of MB, RG, Sleeps With Angels and Le Noise would be very much appreciated by this vinyl collector 
    good news, we’ll be getting most of those reissues in the next year
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Edved82 said:
    goldrush said:

Reissues of MB, RG, Sleeps With Angels and Le Noise would be very much appreciated by this vinyl collector 
    Indeed!  Sleeps is a mixed bag but definitely worth having.  And if you don't already have it or haven't seen it, check out "The Complex Sessions" from around that time with the Horse doing some of that stuff live-in-the-studio.  Fantastic!
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse The Complex Sessions 1995 - Trakttv
    And a big yes for Le Noise vinyl reissue as well.  I blew it passing that up when it came out (it was just when vinyl prices really shot up) and after years of looking, finally found a beautiful used copy at a reasonable price.  If I hadn't found that, I would definitely buy a re-issue.

Excellent news!

Le Noise was Neil's last great album IMO. 

brianlux said:

Excellent news!

Ragged Glory should be out in the ORS5 box set in NOV (stand alone pressings early in 2022)

MB and SwA (with Harvest moon and unplugged) should be in the ORS6 box out for RSD (April) next year. Stand alones later in the year. 

I’m waiting with a fistful of cash.

Le Noise was Neil's last great album IMO. 

I agree with this. 

Le Noise is amazing. A vinyl reissue of that would be of great interest to me.
    Neil answered my Mirror Ball Live question - it will be a multi-format box set, hopefully next year  =) 

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Neil answered my Mirror Ball Live question - it will be a multi-format box set, hopefully next year  =) 

Now that is cool. Can’t wait 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    that is great!

Awesome
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    Was at a record store yesterday who had a new sealed white vinyl copy.  Heart skipped a beat before confirming it was a bootleg. Will wait for this boxset. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    halv said:
    Was at a record store yesterday who had a new sealed white vinyl copy.  Heart skipped a beat before confirming it was a bootleg. Will wait for this boxset. 
    There was a bootleg in one of the record stores I go to as well. It has been there for a few weeks.

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Seeing a boot of a hard to find record in a store will for sure make you do a double take, until you realize what you are looking at. For me it was an AIC self titled.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited June 2021
    Seeing a boot of a hard to find record in a store will for sure make you do a double take, until you realize what you are looking at. For me it was an AIC self titled.
    Yeah, I also saw an Into the Wild soundtrack at the store. It was the one with the scene from the movie on the cover (the bus photo) - but I also thought it may have been a bootleg. I already have the original version (that also came with the 7"), so I didn't need it - but does anyone know if this has been reissued - or was the one I saw likely a bootleg?

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    GlowGirl said:
    Yeah, I also saw an Into the Wild soundtrack at the store. It was the one with the scene from the movie on the cover (the bus photo) - but I also thought it may have been a bootleg. I already have the original version (that also came with the 7"), so I didn't need it - but does anyone know if this has been reissued - or was the one I saw likely a bootleg?

Most likely a bootleg although Urban Outfitters had an official release with this cover. Most bootlegs of this are blue vinyl I believe. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Aren’t we so lucky to have all this great music!? I grew up on Crazy Horse thanks to my Dad, and Mirrorball is it’s own unique flavor of amazing. Not Crazy Horse, just it’s own thing. 
    www.cluthelee.com