Options

Why does a t-shirt cost the same as a double sided/etched vinyl lp with a 28 page booklet?

my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 337
edited May 2021 in The Porch

PEARL JAM GIGATON VINYL LP

$34.99

Double gatefold LP with 3 sides + 1 etched & 28 page booklet

2021 DEEP KATOWICE 16/6/2000 SETLIST SHIRT

$35.00

Bella Canvas Unisex shirt

to clarify this is not a criticism, just a question/observation...

st. pete '94
west palm beach '98
tampa '00
tampa '03
tampa '08
brooklyn '13
austin '14
austin '14
tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
ed - clearwater '12
Post edited by my_wave on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited May 2021
    Binaural privilege.
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    And what about including the condition of the workers in a US or European vinyl pressing plant vs the condition of the workers in a third-world country shirt factory...
    Bands t-shirts (not only PJ) are usually poor quality but expensive. I hope someday PJ will only use organic coton and social and environmental friendly companies.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    The real answer...because you'll pay it. 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,173
    edited May 2021
    At the venue it’s because the facility takes around a 30-40% cut. Maybe online they are holding prices to match for whatever reason… also yes because you’ll pay it.

Interesting article about merch:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/56nG2R2ps7YJCDyG76Wjbvf/more-than-merch-why-band-t-shirts-are-so-important
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    And what about including the condition of the workers in a US or European vinyl pressing plant vs the condition of the workers in a third-world country shirt factory...
    Bands t-shirts (not only PJ) are usually poor quality but expensive. I hope someday PJ will only use organic coton and social and environmental friendly companies.
    I think they tried that with the shirts in like 07, and they sucked. Hope they try again soon, they've gotten much better I think, or at least they should be by now.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    While I probably won't get one because of the steep price, I'm just glad to see some acknowledgement from the band that they know how special this show was. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    edited May 2021
    kinda the going prices for both across the music spectrum. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    I can't see what the venue takes in as a big factor. I mean, shirts only cost a few bucks to make. They could sell them for $20, give 1/3 to the venue and still make good money.
    Or, they can sell that same $5 shirt for $35 and make a whole lot more. 
    Its what the market is. People like to buy concert shirts and pay 8 times what they cost. Even with the popularity explosion, vinyl is still a small market. It just went from nearly extinct/critically endangered to vulnerable. So the markup is less. 
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    It's Stone washed..
  • Options
    mdgsolo said:
    It's Stone washed..
    Why does he do all the washing?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mace1229 said:
    I can't see what the venue takes in as a big factor. I mean, shirts only cost a few bucks to make. They could sell them for $20, give 1/3 to the venue and still make good money.
    Or, they can sell that same $5 shirt for $35 and make a whole lot more. 
    Its what the market is. People like to buy concert shirts and pay 8 times what they cost. Even with the popularity explosion, vinyl is still a small market. It just went from nearly extinct/critically endangered to vulnerable. So the markup is less. 
    Yeah that's right.  Price has little to do with the cost to manufacture, once the profit is made.  Margins are not designed to be fixed across product lines.  
  • Options
    Then it’s 1) the market demands and 2) merch is a big part of band income. Plus no live shows for 1-2 years means leaning more on merch.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited May 2021
    $56... + any customs fees. Yeah going to pass.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    mace1229 said:
    mdgsolo said:
    It's Stone washed..
    Why does he do all the washing?
    Cause he never does the dishes

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,746
    Brisk. said:
    $56... + any customs fees. Yeah going to pass.

Taxes paid on the 10club website for items shipped to the UK? Then custom fees? Oh wow!
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,885
    Bella & Canvas shirts are nicer than shirts that cost a few bucks. I use them when I get shirts printed and they are nice and soft. I personally hate those cheap ass shirts that are thick and stiff until the 100th wash.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited May 2021
    Neil Young had that option on his 2019 tour for a Harvest Moon shirt. Really expensive. Most expensive shirt I have ever bought. But also really nice.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    The real answer...because you'll pay it. 
    https://youtu.be/YcXMhwF4EtQ
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Neil Young had that option on his 2019 tour for a Harvest Moon shirt. Really expensive. Most expensive shirt I have ever bought. But also really nice.
    Oh man, those soft wash shirts of his are glorious. Gold standard for tees. 
  • Options
     I personally hate those cheap ass shirts that are thick and stiff until the 100th wash.
    Preach! Cancel Culture isn't a thing, but I'd have no problem cancelling Gildan 100% cotton bullshit. 

50/50 cotton poly blend or gtfo.

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,442
     I personally hate those cheap ass shirts that are thick and stiff until the 100th wash.
    Preach! Cancel Culture isn't a thing, but I'd have no problem cancelling Gildan 100% cotton bullshit. 

50/50 cotton poly blend or gtfo.

I personally love the Gildan 100% cotton shirts.  They last. 

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Are the Gildan shirts the Anvil shirts everyone had a hard on for when they switched to “too small crappy thin shirts” (I’m guessing the cotton poly blend) in 2006? :lol:
  • Options
    Oh man, those soft wash shirts of his are glorious. Gold standard for tees. 
    Yeah. My favorite t-shirt. Love the looseness of it too. 

But 60-70 bucks or whatever it was...
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Why can't they put featured stuff in uk/euro shop.. Its a nightmare