POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 3

13»

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Forrest Gump
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't hate it, but I thought it was silly.
    The story, some of the acting, the story, the story, the story - cheeseball stuff.  
    Also, it gave the world people trying to imitate Tom Hanks' diction, which is not a good thing.
    Soooo many bad imitation attempts.
    Also....Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurants.
    It was a bit groundbreaking in the video department...inserting Gump into video with Kennedy, etc.  Also some great Vietnam scenes.
     I thought it was genius as a movie.  And to see Hanks go from that to a grizzled Captain storming Normandy is acting beyond compare.  I don't know that I love the story itself, but it's just really well done from end to end.  

Braveheart sucked last round and it still sucks.  Why do I want to watch a movie about a bunch of splitters not recognizing full authority of the Crown?  I wouldn't...
    It was weird to watch Hanks go from goofball comedies of the 80's to the serious stuff he did in the 90's. He was good at it though. I liked pretty much everything he did besides the dud That Thing You Do. I remember rooting for another oscar worthy role each year.
    Hanks shouldn't have had to play an HIV patient or touched-in-the-head benchwarmer to get Oscar consideration. Almost any actor will tell you good comedic performances (of the non-slapstick variety, that is) are much harder to pull off than tragic ones.

He was much better in Big than he's been in anything else ever. That performance absolutely slays.
    LOVED Big! And Splash
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Unforgiven
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't hate it, but I thought it was silly.
    The story, some of the acting, the story, the story, the story - cheeseball stuff.  
    Also, it gave the world people trying to imitate Tom Hanks' diction, which is not a good thing.
    Soooo many bad imitation attempts.
    Also....Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurants.
    It was a bit groundbreaking in the video department...inserting Gump into video with Kennedy, etc.  Also some great Vietnam scenes.
     I thought it was genius as a movie.  And to see Hanks go from that to a grizzled Captain storming Normandy is acting beyond compare.  I don't know that I love the story itself, but it's just really well done from end to end.  

Braveheart sucked last round and it still sucks.  Why do I want to watch a movie about a bunch of splitters not recognizing full authority of the Crown?  I wouldn't...

mel couldnt beat the king in braveheart so he did the patriot ....
    https://youtu.be/n67ew5-DmoI
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Braveheart
    tbergs said:

It was weird to watch Hanks go from goofball comedies of the 80's to the serious stuff he did in the 90's. He was good at it though. I liked pretty much everything he did besides the dud That Thing You Do. I remember rooting for another oscar worthy role each year.
    I thought he was miscast for the Dan Brown movies (DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons...) but generally he is just awesome. We had A League of Their Own on and my son hears him talking and says "That sounds like Woody!"  =)
    I agree. I had read all the Dan Brown books and when they announced the movies, I was like, Tom Hanks? Still have not seen either film. I hated how they made him look and I didn't think he fit my mind's eye of what the character was like as I read it. I don't know who they should have chosen, but it wasn't him.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Unforgiven
    I don't remember who I pictured as the Dan brown character... Langdon before the film...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Forrest Gump
    I don't remember who I pictured as the Dan brown character... Langdon before the film...
    Sort of an Indiana Jones III.  
    Less cool than Connery and Ford on film, but still smart, dorky, and sort of stuffed into the role he is in.  
    Not sure who I pictured in that role, either.  Certainly not Tom Hanks with that wig.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Forrest Gump
    Less cool than Connery and Ford on film, but still smart, dorky, and sort of stuffed into the role he is in.  
    Not sure who I pictured in that role, either.  Certainly not Tom Hanks with that wig.  

Were those books actually good? I ran a bookstore at the time they came out and sold a ton of them but never read them. Seemed like good beach reads with no value save entertainment.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Braveheart
    dankind said:

Were those books actually good? I ran a bookstore at the time they came out and sold a ton of them but never read them. Seemed like good beach reads with no value save entertainment.
    Beach read is a good statement.  They move briskly. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    With 10 votes Unforgiven and Forrest Gump with 9 votes have been eliminated in Round 3
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Forrest Gump
    dankind said:

I enjoyed the first two -- for sure, page turning entertainment.  Nothing deep but I liked them.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Unforgiven
    Communists...
This discussion has been closed.