POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 3

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Forrest Gump
    I don't hate it, but I thought it was silly.
    The story, some of the acting, the story, the story, the story - cheeseball stuff.  
    Also, it gave the world people trying to imitate Tom Hanks' diction, which is not a good thing.
    Soooo many bad imitation attempts.
    Also....Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurants.
    I don’t disagree with Gern, but THIS!

Oh yeah, and Jenny :lol:
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Unforgiven
    Did Spielberg use CCR during Vietnam footage in Forrest Gump, or did that eye-rollingly over cliched shotchoice only find it's way into his The Post film?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Forrest Gump
    Did Spielberg use CCR during Vietnam footage in Forrest Gump, or did that eye-rollingly over cliched shotchoice only find it's way into his The Post film?
    While Forrest Gump sucks just about as hard as a Spielberg film, Robert Zemeckis (a.k.a., Spielberg was busy) directed the film.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Unforgiven
    dankind said:
    While Forrest Gump sucks just about as hard as a Spielberg film, Robert Zemeckis (a.k.a., Spielberg was busy) directed the film.
    Fuck ofc. Brainfart. 

Should be noted, Zemeckis also directed Cast Away, and then What Lies Beneath and then Cast Away again.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Forrest Gump
    hedonist said:
    The story, some of the acting, the story, the story, the story - cheeseball stuff.  
    Also, it gave the world people trying to imitate Tom Hanks' diction, which is not a good thing.

I can't harsh on Princess Buttercup too much but yes, even Jenny was silly. 

Chris, you don't find Gump to be cheesy? 
    I do not hate it.  Just cannot watch it again.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Forrest Gump
    It was a bit groundbreaking in the video department...inserting Gump into video with Kennedy, etc.  Also some great Vietnam scenes.

There were parts but sometimes the sum is worse than the parts.  :lol:            
    Forrest Gump
    Also....every time I hear someone try to speak like Hanks/Gump and say Life Is Like A Box Of....this is how I feel:

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Unforgiven
    Gump haters....let's not forget some of the horrid writing in Unforgiven.  The verbiage at the beginning and ending of the film looked like a 3rd grader wrote it.  It was rumored he was a fucking dry goods merchant?  That seems like pretty detailed information to me.

William Munny had long since sold
    	the place and disappeared with the
    	children... some said to San
    	Francisco where it was rumored he
    	prospered as a dry goods merchant
    	under a different name.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Unforgiven
    Also....every time I hear someone try to speak like Hanks/Gump and say Life Is Like A Box Of....this is how I feel:

Speaking of shit movies people love.
    Forrest Gump
    dankind said:
    Fuck ofc. Brainfart. 

Should be noted, Zemeckis also directed Cast Away, and then What Lies Beneath and then Cast Away again.
    Back to the Future Part II was OK.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Unforgiven
    hedonist said:

I can't harsh on Princess Buttercup too much but yes, even Jenny was silly. 

Chris, you don't find Gump to be cheesy? 
    I do not hate it.  Just cannot watch it again.

Nah man, It's a feel good kind of story that shows all the headlines over the years.

He got to speak at one of Abbey Hoffmans rallies.  Who wouldn't love that?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Unforgiven

Speaking of shit movies people love.
    Maybe this is a Swedish thing?

That was most likely the funniest part of the movie that was improved and ya just shit all over it.

I can no longer take what you say seriously...
    Forrest Gump
    Gump haters....let's not forget some of the horrid writing in Unforgiven.  The verbiage at the beginning and ending of the film looked like a 3rd grader wrote it.  It was rumored he was a fucking dry goods merchant?  That seems like pretty detailed information to me.

under a different name.
    I suspect that was done to try and be in the style of the westerns.....

Like that people get as fired up about movies as they do about music.  :lol:.    

Books get a shot at some point?  
    Guessing the responses might be very different.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Schindler's List

under a different name.
    Totally sounds like something that would be said in the Old West...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Braveheart
    It was a bit groundbreaking in the video department...inserting Gump into video with Kennedy, etc.  Also some great Vietnam scenes.
     I thought it was genius as a movie.  And to see Hanks go from that to a grizzled Captain storming Normandy is acting beyond compare.  I don't know that I love the story itself, but it's just really well done from end to end.  

Braveheart sucked last round and it still sucks.  Why do I want to watch a movie about a bunch of splitters not recognizing full authority of the Crown?  I wouldn't...
    Schindler's List
    mrussel1 said:

Braveheart sucked last round and it still sucks.  Why do I want to watch a movie about a bunch of splitters not recognizing full authority of the Crown?  I wouldn't...
    OMG look at this monarchist. I imagine you'd willingly surrender your bride for purposes of prima nocte and quarter the king's soldiers in your house. Now I'm all in for Braveheart.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Braveheart
    mrussel1 said:

OMG look at this monarchist. I imagine you'd willingly surrender your bride for purposes of prima nocte and quarter the king's soldiers in your house. Now I'm all in for Braveheart.
    Pfft.. prima nocte is for the peasants and serfs.  The King would not dare try that with me, especially since my bride was his favorite niece.  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Braveheart
    mrussel1 said:
     I thought it was genius as a movie.  And to see Hanks go from that to a grizzled Captain storming Normandy is acting beyond compare.  I don't know that I love the story itself, but it's just really well done from end to end.  

It was weird to watch Hanks go from goofball comedies of the 80's to the serious stuff he did in the 90's. He was good at it though. I liked pretty much everything he did besides the dud That Thing You Do. I remember rooting for another oscar worthy role each year.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Schindler's List
    tbergs said:

It was weird to watch Hanks go from goofball comedies of the 80's to the serious stuff he did in the 90's. He was good at it though. I liked pretty much everything he did besides the dud That Thing You Do. I remember rooting for another oscar worthy role each year.
    I thought he was miscast for the Dan Brown movies (DaVinci Code, Angels & Demons...) but generally he is just awesome. We had A League of Their Own on and my son hears him talking and says "That sounds like Woody!"  =)

edited May 2021
    Forrest Gump
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

Hanks shouldn't have had to play an HIV patient or touched-in-the-head benchwarmer to get Oscar consideration. Almost any actor will tell you good comedic performances (of the non-slapstick variety, that is) are much harder to pull off than tragic ones.

He was much better in Big than he's been in anything else ever. That performance absolutely slays.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    Braveheart
    mrussel1 said:

mel couldnt beat the king in braveheart so he did the patriot ....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Braveheart
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

mel couldnt beat the king in braveheart so he did the patriot ....
    haha, good point.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Unforgiven
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

Take that back....TTYD was a great movie.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Forrest Gump
    Oh man, that movie was so bad.  (Or at least I remember it as such -- did not watch it beyond the first/only viewing.  That song was horrid, as well.)
    Braveheart
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

Not "Joe Versus the Volcano" good... but good.
    Forrest Gump
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have no response to that.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Unforgiven

- mental note taken....just in case we should ever meet in person.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Braveheart

I bought my girl a chicken...that had no bones.....
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited May 2021
    Braveheart
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:

As a kid with only access to the big 4 networks, and what ever iteration of UPN or WB format was in at that time, I feel like there was at least one Tom Hanks movie airing every weekend. I saw part or all of Dragnet, The Man with One Red Shoe, Mazes, Money Pit, Nothing in Common and Volunteers a bunch. Saturday afternoon movies were the best.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Forrest Gump

:lol:  You can alternate speaking like Gump to speaking like Coach Gump from Notre Lame.

This discussion has been closed.