POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
With the Oscars and other award shows over for the year, I figured a movie based 'Weakest Link' would be a fun thing. Since we are here in this forum for a 90s based band, I decided we could choose the BEST FILM for all the BEST PICTURE WINNERS of the 1990s.

Here we continue with Round 2 to determine the BEST OSCAR WINNING BEST PICTURE OF THE 1990S.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) movies with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 3.

Complete list of Best Picture Oscar Winners of the 1990s
1990, Dances with Wolves
1991, The Silence of the Lambs
1992, Unforgiven
1993, Schindler's List
1994, Forrest Gump
1995, Braveheart
1996, The English Patient - Eliminated Round 1
1997, Titanic - Eliminated Round 1
1998, Shakespeare in Love - Eliminated Round 1
1999, American Beauty

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 2 37 votes

Dances with Wolves
35%
hedonistPoncierLedbetterman10tbergsGlowGirldankindJohnny AbruzzoeddieceeriepadaveHobbesoftenreading1ThoughtKnownbbiggs 13 votes
The Silence of the Lambs
8%
mickeyratPapbrianlux 3 votes
Unforgiven
16%
darwinstheorymcgruff10The Jugglermarkymark550Spiritual_Chaostempo_n_groove 6 votes
Schindler's List
2%
BLACK35 1 vote
Forrest Gump
8%
YefaRiotZactF Me In The Brain 3 votes
Braveheart
10%
mca47Thorns2010Gern Blanstenmrussel1 4 votes
American Beauty
18%
josevolutionJimmyVerebusMedozKAsterisk on the StreetSmallestOceansGlorified KC 7 votes

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Dances with Wolves
    Could someone in Jersey please pay Scruffy a visit and punch him in the fud for me?

Thank you.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Forrest Gump
    Hahaha. 
    DwW is going down, who will join Tatonka on the way out the door?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Dances with Wolves
    dankind said:
    Could someone in Jersey please pay Scruffy a visit and punch him in the fud for me?

Thank you.
    Where is Dunkman when you need him?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited April 2021
    Unforgiven
    Hahaha. 
    unforgiven!!!!  
    Really, Forrest Gump?!  Come on man!

dan, love you long time.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    American Beauty
    American Beauty made it to Round 2? Yikes.  

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Forrest Gump
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hahaha. 
    unforgiven!!!!  
    Really, Forrest Gump?!  Come on man!

dan, love you long time.  

Gump was cornball deluxe. 
    My wife loved the Bubba Gump Shrimp place on the pier in Santa Monica. 
    I haaaaaaated that place.  So many amazing places around there and that frigging place? 
    So corny.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Dances with Wolves
    JimmyV said:
    The hate for Spacey must not outweigh Costner ego stroking epics. A theme I noticed with this list is pretty much every movie is super loooooong.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Dances with Wolves
    JimmyV said:
    Happiness did a much better job making the point that I think American Beauty was trying to make. And it actually made sexualizing minors feel icky rather than something celebratory.

Also, much funnier.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Dances with Wolves
    tbergs said:
    JimmyV said:
    The hate for Spacey must not outweigh Costner ego stroking epics. A theme I noticed with this list is pretty much every movie is super loooooong.
    The real reason why Fargo was robbed. Clocked in at 1h38m.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Braveheart
    Braveheart sucks.  It's so ridiculous.  It's almost as ridiculous as his companion piece "Patriot".  Mel Gibson sucks.  Fucking Opus Dei idiot. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Unforgiven
    mrussel1 said:
    Braveheart sucks.  It's so ridiculous.  It's almost as ridiculous as his companion piece "Patriot".  Mel Gibson sucks.  Fucking Opus Dei idiot. 
    Lethal weapon and we were soldiers are classics, otherwise I agree.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Braveheart
    Same...not a bad movie to watch but contains some ridiculous acting and writing at times.  Not as good as Unforgiven or DWW
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Dances with Wolves
    It's time that @mickeyrat gets the hose again.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Dances with Wolves
    Same...not a bad movie to watch but contains some ridiculous acting and writing at times.  Not as good as Unforgiven or DWW
    However we feel about Mel Gibson, Braveheart was revolutionary in it's gory no-nonsense depiction of battle, something I don't remember seeing before then. Influential for Saving Private Ryan, Game of Thrones, all kinds of stuff.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Braveheart
    However we feel about Mel Gibson, Braveheart was revolutionary in it's gory no-nonsense depiction of battle, something I don't remember seeing before then. Influential for Saving Private Ryan, Game of Thrones, all kinds of stuff.
    Excalibur?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Dances with Wolves
    Excalibur?
    Haven't seen it. I agree The Patriot was total garbage.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    American Beauty
    Five modern classics, one important historical film, and American Beauty. That's our list right now. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Braveheart
    JimmyV said:
    Five modern classics, one important historical film, and American Beauty. That's our list right now. 
    yes, Braveheart is indispensable, historically speaking.

Ha.. just kidding.  
    Dances with Wolves
    Excalibur?
    That was gory for sure.
    Dances with Wolves
    Ned's execution in GoT reminded me of Braveheart.
    Forrest Gump
    Excalibur?
    I loved Excalibur as a kid and watched it so many times on HBO or one of the cable channels where they showed it constantly.
    I don't think those scenes are comparable to Braveheart - I kind of think the early fight scenes were laughable, weren't they?

Been a while since I have watched.

edited April 2021
    Braveheart
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__0r5M2RjCM

I'm not laughing....you must be thinking of the Holy Grail :)
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

Braveheart

The climactic battle scene...

Forrest Gump

Ha.  You are right -- I was thinking of the scene where they are in-fighting and then Arthur is knighted.  Flopping around in the water and what not.
    Been too long - need to watch this again!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Hobbes said:
    It's time that @mickeyrat gets the hose again.

great actress. great movie. lost me with that accent....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Dances with Wolves
    Easy choice. Only Forrest Gump beating out Shawshank and Pulp Fiction is 90s comparable to this Oscar snub. 
    Braveheart
    Easy choice. Only Forrest Gump beating out Shawshank and Pulp Fiction is 90s comparable to this Oscar snub. 
    Oh I forgot Shawshank was the same year.  Geez, what a year of movies.  And maybe Gump was the worst of those three, but it was a damn fine movie.  My wife thought she hated the movie but I made her and my daughter sit down and watch it a few months ago.  She sobbed and sobbed.  She realized that she had never actually sat down and watched it.  Loved it.  

Great writers must all be doing shows/series now.  The movies for the last ten years have basically sucked. Yeah there's a good one here and there, but not like the 90s. 
    edited April 2021
    Dances with Wolves
    Goodfellas is clearly the better film that year. The other nominees ... :i_dunno:

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Forrest Gump
    GFIII was nominated?

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Dances with Wolves
    I remember Awakenings.

Better book than movie, but then again that's close to the rule (for me at least). 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.