These days, do you find anger and hatred more, the same, or less in general and where you live?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
I don't know if it's just where I live, but it seems like almost by the day I see people becoming more angry and hateful.  I can see in in people eyes, in their faces.  I don't know if it's possibly because my community has long been rural to semi-rural and is growing as more people from the outside are moving in, or if it's because of recent political change, or because of a year plus of COVID concerns, or maybe all of the above.  But I have to say, where I live, it's getting very strange and unsettling around here. 
What about in your neck of the woods?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

These days, do you find anger and hatred more, the same, or less in general and where you live? 17 votes

I see anger and hatred as being on the increase where I live and in general.
76%
gimmesometruth27stuckinlinelastexitlondonmfc2006dankindAbe Fromannicknyr15brianluxF Me In The Brain23scidoo1ThoughtKnownRunIntoTheRainMatts3221 13 votes
I see anger and hatred as increasing in general but not in my area.
11%
Ledbetterman10gvn2fly1421 2 votes
I see anger and hatred about the same in general but increasing in my area.
0%
I see anger and hatred as about the same in my area and in general.
5%
BLACK35 1 vote
I see anger and hatred decreasing in general but increasing in my area.
0%
I see anger and hatred decreasing in my area and decreasing in general.
0%
Other (please explain.)
5%
static111 1 vote

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Other (please explain.)
    I see anger and hatred increasing in a segment of the population that is either getting left behind or is unable to adapt to a rapidly changing global future.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    static111 said:
    I see anger and hatred increasing in a segment of the population that is either getting left behind or is unable to adapt to a rapidly changing global future.
    you mean unwilling....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Other (please explain.)
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    you mean unwilling....

Some are unable due to lack of education and ingrained belief systems and social programming.   It like what I would imagine getting into recovery would be like, you can’t change anything if you don’t recognize the problem.   But yes for sure some are unwilling.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    things are pretty divided here. i just try to stick with people i know and avoid going where i know there may be issues. st louis city just elected an african american, woman, progressive, mayor and that has caused a bunch of anger to bubble over among the republicans here. she wants to reform policing in the city and people are just not here for it. there is a lot of anger on all sides.

i think people in general here are just more selfish the last few years and that manifests as anger and overall assholish behavior towards others.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    things are pretty divided here. i just try to stick with people i know and avoid going where i know there may be issues. st louis city just elected an african american, woman, progressive, mayor and that has caused a bunch of anger to bubble over among the republicans here. she wants to reform policing in the city and people are just not here for it. there is a lot of anger on all sides.

i think people in general here are just more selfish the last few years and that manifests as anger and overall assholish behavior towards others.
    Empathy seems to be non existent anymore. As long as I get what I want and get to do what I want to do, everything is good. If I have to inconvenience myself for the good of someone else, a fit will be thrown. My Mom would often say " but for the grace of God, that would be me" when she saw someone struggling or hurting, and try to do what she could to help them. She didn't judge them for what they were going through, she just helped, or listened or loved them. The world needs more people like her.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852

Empathy seems to be non existent anymore. As long as I get what I want and get to do what I want to do, everything is good. If I have to inconvenience myself for the good of someone else, a fit will be thrown. My Mom would often say " but for the grace of God, that would be me" when she saw someone struggling or hurting, and try to do what she could to help them. She didn't judge them for what they were going through, she just helped, or listened or loved them. The world needs more people like her.
     and try to do what she could to help them.

This is a problem nowadays as we are taught not to engage and not to help, whether it's someone hurt or someone in need of assistance.

When was the last time someone held a door open for you?  Courtesy is out the window along w empathy.  

I hold doors open for people and never let my GF touch her door handle as I open her door for her every time we go somewhere.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    People start to lose their patience..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Oh, sad but unfortunately fairly predictable results so far.  7 worse case scenarios, one "other".  Some optimistic part of me wants there to be a place where this trend is not toward increased anger and hatred.  Even though we have members here who are not from North America, most are, so I wonder what a poll like this would reveal if asked in parts of Europe or South America or Africa or Australia or the East. 
    But the poll is small, so who knows.  I just have a bad feeling about the direction things are taking.

I'm sorry to hear there is more strife there. But good for St; Louis electing your new mayor!  Yeah, I can imagine there being some unhappy conservatives there.

People think of California as being a liberal haven and yes, some areas are predominantly liberal, but there are a lot of people who hate Governor Newsom.  It's really bad where I am.  I see bumper stickers like "My Governor is an Idiot", "Newsom sits down to pee", "Comiefornia", etc.  Really dumb stuff like that and lots of pointless, futile anger that resolves nothing.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170

I hold doors open for people and never let my GF touch her door handle as I open her door for her every time we go somewhere.
    Did she pass the Sonny test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8p1iG-6d-w
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Your Mom sounds amazing...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    edited April 2021

She was a great role model. She was the ultimate "Mama Bear" and it didn't matter if the kid was hers or not, she was there for them. She passed away around 8 years ago. I miss her quite a bit.  
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
    Poncier said:

HA!  My sister said this to me years ago!

My GF opens my door if she is driving.  She reciprocates.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    These are scary times. The divide on so many issues seems to be rapidly increasing and causing a lot of anger and hatred. For me personally this has become increasingly difficult as I don’t fall into the echo chambers of either side. It is a daily struggle and unfortunately I don’t see it getting any better any time soon. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Many people are assholes. Those who were already assholes have become bigger assholes. They get the spotlight because that shit sells. You see it more than the decent ones because that shit sells. 

It’s a tenuous time. Of course people feel angry, stifled, put upon, etc. Couple that with others in the same boat and BOOM. 

*Newsom DOES suck. 
    edited April 2021
    Poncier said:

I love it- that's cool!
    A couple of years ago, I went to open the door for a very close friend of mine- the mother of my godchildren.  She stopped me and said, "I'm capable of doing that for myself."  Oh man, that was embarrassing. 

hedonist said:
    Many people are assholes. Those who were already assholes have become bigger assholes. They get the spotlight because that shit sells. You see it more than the decent ones because that shit sells. 

It’s a tenuous time. Of course people feel angry, stifled, put upon, etc. Couple that with others in the same boat and BOOM. 

*Newsom DOES suck. 

I'm always curious (and don't often get the opportunity to ask), if you care to answer, what is it about him you dislike? 

brianlux said:
    Poncier said:

I love it- that's cool!
    A couple of years ago, I went to open the door for a very close friend of mine- the mother of my godchildren.  She stopped me and said, "I'm capable of doing that for myself."  Oh man, that was embarrassing. 

My GF sometimes gets irritated and tells me the same and I reply to her "i will not stop, once I do you will complain that I don't do it!" lol.  So she let's me open her door huffing at me.
    These are scary times. The divide on so many issues seems to be rapidly increasing and causing a lot of anger and hatred. For me personally this has become increasingly difficult as I don’t fall into the echo chambers of either side. It is a daily struggle and unfortunately I don’t see it getting any better any time soon. 

Yeah, I hear you Abe.  Everybody seems angry. 
    I wonder is part of the problem is that due to COVID things like city council and county board meetings are happening or even PTA meetings?  I'm sure that's only a small factor, but maybe a part of it.  People used to go to board meetings etc. to talk out grievances.  Now they just get on FB or Twitter and rant and rave.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

She was a great role model. She was the ultimate "Mama Bear" and it didn't matter if the kid was hers or not, she was there for them. She passed away around 8 years ago. I miss her quite a bit.  
    I certainly understand missing your mom.  I miss my mom everyday...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

*Newsom DOES suck. 

I'm always curious (and don't often get the opportunity to ask), if you care to answer, what is it about him you dislike? 
    I find him insincere, oily, smug and ineffectual. No wonder there are talks of him going to DC at some point. He’s grooming himself to make that (HUGE!) jump. 
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

*Newsom DOES suck. 

I find him insincere, oily, smug and ineffectual. No wonder there are talks of him going to DC at some point. He’s grooming himself to make that (HUGE!) jump. 

His hair is oily, that;s for sure, lol.
    I mostly like Newsom until he blew it with being so insistent about wearing a mask and then going to that expensive restaurant without one.  Leading by example is super important.  Not that it's the most important thing, but he's also not a great speaker. Too many "uh" "ums".  Is that being nit-picky?

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    brianlux said:

I wonder is part of the problem is that due to COVID things like city council and county board meetings are happening or even PTA meetings?  I'm sure that's only a small factor, but maybe a part of it.  People used to go to board meetings etc. to talk out grievances.  Now they just get on FB or Twitter and rant and rave.
    I absolutely think it’s part of the problem. And not just that but the internet and social media in general.  I hesitate even on these boards to comment on anything other than music because of keyboard warriors. But I bet if people could have a discussion over a beer or coffee they would understand a lot more of others views. People now are so quick to attack others online without knowing anything about a persons personal situation or life. It’s all very disturbing to me. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:

I absolutely think it’s part of the problem. And not just that but the internet and social media in general.  I hesitate even on these boards to comment on anything other than music because of keyboard warriors. But I bet if people could have a discussion over a beer or coffee they would understand a lot more of others views. People now are so quick to attack others online without knowing anything about a persons personal situation or life. It’s all very disturbing to me. 
    I don't even bother commenting on friends' posts hating on trudeau or biden or whomever. it's no longer worth it. it just adds to the shit pile. I just scroll on by. 

maybe i should do that here too. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

" But I bet if people could have a discussion over a beer or coffee they would understand a lot more of others views."

Oh man, that is so right on Abe.  I think about that to.  I've PM'd people here and on other sites and basically said the same thing- if we could just sit down and have a beer or a cup of coffee, I'll bet it would go fine.  Yep, keyboard warrior behavior is bad news and I'm sorry to say I've done some of that myself.  I'm really trying to be more open and I'm willing to say, "Call me on my shit when I'm not."  Hedonist did that about a wise crack I made in the "Road Rage" thread and she was right to do so.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,704
    I find  selfishness  is rising. And stupidity definitely.  Racism too. We should be more  tolerant  not less.  The best person should get the job or position. Nothing to do with colour or race or sex should ever be why someone doesn't . 
    The world is fucked in most countries . Sad to say i can only see it going one way. 
    Although  my kids gen are alot more  kind i see.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I find  selfishness  is rising. And stupidity definitely.  Racism too. We should be more  tolerant  not less.  The best person should get the job or position. Nothing to do with colour or race or sex should ever be why someone doesn't . 
    The world is fucked in most countries . Sad to say i can only see it going one way. 
    Although  my kids gen are alot more  kind i see.
    I do agree with you on kindness, Rob, but for all this “tolerant” and “accept everyone” talk, people are pretty fucking close-minded and self-centered. It’s evidenced all over, all age groups.

• Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

People seem to be losing it over the smallest things, part of me gets it. It has been over a year , in what may have been the most divisive year ever , between the election and Covid ( A virus should not be political but hey thanks Mr. Trump )

I feel those that either don't believe what is happening or think it is hoax are starting to get really angry when being told to put a mask on in a store.

People driving seem more angry , I try to not let it get to me and realize that I don't know what has happened in their day , did someone they know pass away recently , lost a job , lost a place to live? There is so much shit in this world it can seem hard to keep the boat study.

Just seems like no one cares about the collective anymore just about themselves.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    ISA! ISA! ISA!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    The hatred from the trumpist towards Biden or liberal Democrats is through the roof out here in red Suffolk county! 
    Saw a pickup yesterday with two flags one was Trump pissing on the word liberals the other just said Fuck Biden lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    ^^^International Society of Arboriculture?

I think people have always gotten out of sorts over small shit. Some are just itching to bitch too — about anything, anyone. Not sure of the motivation. Egoism? Lack of substance in life? Just an angry little person?

Assholes, dicks, and those just dying for attention. Welcome to the camp!