Options

Cicadas Are Back In MD After 17 Year Absence

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
I'm here visiting my former home in MD from FL only to hear that cicadas will returning this year after a 17 year hiatus. Has anyone here experienced these insects in there annual 17 year return to mostly northern states?

They're fascinating insects in how they survive over many decades. They can drive one batty in their nauseating noisey mating calls which does get as loud as the noisiest lawn mower. They can certainly make for a restless summer. At the end of the link article some make a delicacy out of the the insects with a banana bread cake.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0ZCmBYXz?share_id=eyJ1c2VyaWQiOjEwOTEwNDIxOSwiZG9jX2lkIjoiMFpDbUJZWHoiLCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE2MTkyMDY3MTc5ODZ9&share_destination_id=MTA5MTA0MjE5LTE2MTkyMDY3MjAzNjc=&s=a7&pd=07NmzT1I&hl=en_US

I'm so glad I won't be here in MD most of the summer except for 1 week.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Been through it once in the Cincy area.  Supposed to be back this year.  Was pretty loud and annoying.  Especially when my cat would catch one on the deck and bring it in the house.  It was loud as hell in that moment.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    I hear this fucking things every summer. Not buying this once every 17 years baloney. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,673
    I hear this fucking things every summer. Not buying this once every 17 years baloney. 

different broods.... some larger than others.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ha!

I think they’d drive me nuts. I can’t even sleep if our kitten is playing in the other room with a toy that makes noise.

The migration thing is pretty damn cool though. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    I grew up in MD and experienced the last 3 swarms.
    It was deafening if I remember correctly. And bad for cars.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,820
    I grew up in MD and experienced the last 3 swarms.
    It was deafening if I remember correctly. And bad for cars.
    I also grew up in Maryland and also remember those swarms. Yes, lots of noise. And definitely remember it not being that pleasant for my car windshield. My whole family is still in Maryland. I will have to ask them about this new one. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,669
    I had one in the apartment I was living in twenty years ago.  It was night, I was dead tired and needed sleep.  I grabbed a flashlight and very slowly got closer to where the sound was.  But whenever I turned on the light, the thing stopped chirping.  Finally, with much luck, I saw it and smashed the thing.  They are very translucent and difficult to spot.  Mother Nature does have a cruel-bitch side to her.  Keeps us honest, I suppose.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    brianlux said:
    I had one in the apartment I was living in twenty years ago.  It was night, I was dead tired and needed sleep.  I grabbed a flashlight and very slowly got closer to where the sound was.  But whenever I turned on the light, the thing stopped chirping.  Finally, with much luck, I saw it and smashed the thing.  They are very translucent and difficult to spot.  Mother Nature does have a cruel-bitch side to her.  Keeps us honest, I suppose.
    You smashed one of g-ds creatures??!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,669
    brianlux said:
    You smashed one of g-ds creatures??!!

Indeed!  In that eternal court of law in the sky, I will plead insanity.  That damn thing truly was driving me...
    Chargers GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    Yep, we get them in NY every year.

30 years or so we did have a huge year and these things were everywhere.  the gutters on the curb were filled with them. Birds had a smorgasbord. It wasn't just that year either.  It lasted a few years but not as bad as that first one.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Dem cicadas are making their noisy presence felt up and the east coast. 

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,212
    Every year we have about a dozen in our yard. I've found their exo skeletons on the side of the sandbox, under the picnic table and on the sides of trees. Once We stumbled upon one just emerging, it was pretty cool. We never have enough for them to get annoying. The sounds of a few always indicate we've reached summer. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,212
    Apparently they are showing up on weather maps and even delayed the Biden press plane the other day. Crazy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/us/politics/cicadas-biden.html
    It's a hopeless situation...