R.E.M.

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    As a complete and total fan of everything from Chronic Town through Out of Time, I'm kind of excited because I think in next couple of weeks I'll dig deep into everything released after Out of Time, and it will likely feel like a new experience.  I know the singles and I saw them on both Monster tour and was last tour for Accelerate? Whatever they toured on in 2008.  But I don't really KNOW any of those albums.  I had but hardly listened to New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

So I'm pretty excited, have a feeling my mind and soul will be blown away but no idea which songs/albums that will happen with most....

Can I also pause here and say I'm still crying about fact that 1st show I saw on Monster was the 1st show AFTER the support act changed from Radiohead to I think Buffalo Tom?  Nothing against Buffalo Tom (or whoever opened the shows I saw, later it was Luscious Jackson) but I wish I'd seen at least ONE show with Radiohead supporting REM!  Just.... wow....
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    JH6056 said:
    Just listened to Monster this weekend. Love it. Have so many favorites, but Life’s Rich Pageant may be my favorite. I also love Accelerate, Out of Time, New Adventures, Automatic. What a band!

Two years ago, 3/4 of the band (sans Stipe) reunited at the Fox in Atlanta. They played The One I Love and Fall on Me with Kevin Kinney, played with Pylon, and then closed with Texarkana and Mike on vocals. So amazing! Peter Buck was great of course, but Berry’s drumming and Mike’s vocals were spectacular!
    Was that advertised ahead with them playing, or was it one of those things that you were just outrageously lucky to be there if you were there because that was a glorious surprise?

So glad Bill sounded great (and Peter & Mike) <3 
    Not advertised and completely lucky! Although I was hopeful.  Bill Berry was advertised as playing with a local Athens band. The whole show was a fundraiser for Georgia’s small town theaters. Driving’ and Cryin’ as well as the Drive-By Truckers played.

My hope was that no way the other guys don’t show if Bill Berry comes out to play a mini set. It was amazing and Texarkana was tremendous.
    JH6056 said:
    Just listened to Monster this weekend. Love it. Have so many favorites, but Life’s Rich Pageant may be my favorite. I also love Accelerate, Out of Time, New Adventures, Automatic. What a band!

Two years ago, 3/4 of the band (sans Stipe) reunited at the Fox in Atlanta. They played The One I Love and Fall on Me with Kevin Kinney, played with Pylon, and then closed with Texarkana and Mike on vocals. So amazing! Peter Buck was great of course, but Berry’s drumming and Mike’s vocals were spectacular!
    Was that advertised ahead with them playing, or was it one of those things that you were just outrageously lucky to be there if you were there because that was a glorious surprise?

So glad Bill sounded great (and Peter & Mike) <3 
    Not advertised and completely lucky! Although I was hopeful.  Bill Berry was advertised as playing with a local Athens band. The whole show was a fundraiser for Georgia’s small town theaters. Driving’ and Cryin’ as well as the Drive-By Truckers played.

My hope was that no way the other guys don’t show if Bill Berry comes out to play a mini set. It was amazing and Texarkana was tremendous.
    So happy for you and SO jealous!

And Texarkana.... lawd do I LOVE that song!
    Here’s a link to my video. I was far away, but audio is good!

https://youtu.be/nUCaxfV6pg4
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited July 2021
    A recent conversation I had with another member here got me to thinking about R.E.M. and since I had some time to listen to records today, I pulled out Murmur and gave it a listen.  I first heard some of that great record on a college station when it came out and ran out and bought a copy.  I've played that record more times than I can think of, but I hadn't listened to it in quite awhile.  It struck me all over again what a pivotal LP that one is.  There are countless records that have been recorded since that owe their very existence to R.E.M. and Murmur- it's influence is simply that huge!  Virtually every indie rock band started up since 1983 has been influenced by that album. I would easily place it among the 5 most influential rock albums of all time.  (Not a bad idea for a thread.  Will have to think about that.  Which would be the other four?!)
    And Michael's voice, that voice!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    A recent conversation I had with another member here got me to thinking about R.E.M. and since I had some time to listen to records today, I pulled out Murmur and gave it a listen.  I first heard some of that great record on a college station when it came out and ran out and bought a copy.  I've played that record more times than I can think of, but I hadn't listened to it in quite awhile.  It struck me all over again what a pivotal LP that one is.  There are countless records that have been recorded since that owe their very existence to R.E.M. and Murmur- it's influence is simply that huge!  Virtually every indie rock band started up since 1983 has been influenced by that album. I would easily place it among the 5 most influential rock albums of all time.  (Not a bad idea for a thread.  Will have to think about that.  Which would be the other four?!)
    Brianlux you anticipated my next question already! What would be the other 4 "Most Pivotal Albums for College Rock/Indie Rock radio stations?
    edited July 2021
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    Brianlux you anticipated my next question already! What would be the other 4 "Most Pivotal Albums for College Rock/Indie Rock radio stations?

Hmmm JH6056 , tough one.  The other 4 most pivotal for rock in general is a tough choice, even more so for College Rock/ Indie, but I'll give it a go with these:

The Replacements, Let it Be
    Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation
    Dinosaur Jr, You're Living All Over Me
    The Smiths, self-titled

Honorable mention:
    The Dream Syndicate, The Days of Wine and Roses

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    I would add the Pixies and maybe Jane’s Addiction
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    erebus said:

Yeah, I thought about Pixies as well.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    brianlux said:
    erebus said:

Maybe the Feelies as well.

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Auotmoatic,  during college one of my go to albums.  Rebought Monster this year, sort of fell.of.my playlists, forgot how great it was too.

For Drive alone it is my favorite

GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    erebus said:

Maybe the Feelies as well.

Good call!

brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

Hmmm JH6056 , tough one.  The other 4 most pivotal for rock in general is a tough choice, even more so for College Rock/ Indie, but I'll give it a go with these:

The Smiths, self-titled

Honorable mention:

That's a great list brianlux!

In my days working at college radio stations, the playlists were SO broad, even the idea of "indie" was actually really broad even though in terms of popular stuff there were staples.  So the question you asked I never would have thought of posing, but now that you've posed it it is so interesting to consider!

Funny thing is, I read your question and thought I'd re-asked it right, but of course I narrowed it down to college/indie (I think because you said ocllege rock).  But If we go to college rock, what are those other 4 albums?

Offhand for me I guess they'd be something like:

Minutemen, Double Nickels on the Dime
    Replacements, Let It Be
    Sleater Kinney, Dig Me Out
    X, Los Angeles

But there are so many, I don't think it's possible to narrow that list to an indisputable 5.  But agreed about Murmur...
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

The Smiths, self-titled

Honorable mention:

In my days working at college radio stations, the playlists were SO broad, even the idea of "indie" was actually really broad even though in terms of popular stuff there were staples.  So the question you asked I never would have thought of posing, but now that you've posed it it is so interesting to consider!

Funny thing is, I read your question and thought I'd re-asked it right, but of course I narrowed it down to college/indie (I think because you said ocllege rock).  But If we go to college rock, what are those other 4 albums?

Replacements, Let It Be
    X, Los Angeles

But there are so many, I don't think it's possible to narrow that list to an indisputable 5.  But agreed about Murmur...

Damn good list there, JH! 
    Very cool that you worked in a college station!  I got to visit my favorite college radio station back in the early 80's- KFJC out of Foothill College in Los Altos Hills, CA.  Those were some cool folks and that station is hugely responsible for leading me to move beyond the 60's music I was into in high school and college.  I still like a lot of that stuff, but in the early 70's, rock began to stale and bore that crap out of me (I dug Lou Reed but, sadly, I wasn't hip to Iggy Pop, New York Dolls and a few others yet).  I turned to jazz which was great (and still am a huge fan) but I really missed good, adventuresome, challenging rock music.  KFJC turned me on to punk, the better new wave stuff and early indie and alternative. Minutemen and The Replacements were two of my first major big thrills in that scene and are still very much long-time favorites.  Those were some great years!

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

The Smiths, self-titled

Honorable mention:

Replacements, Let It Be
    X, Los Angeles

Very cool that you worked in a college station!  I got to visit my favorite college radio station back in the early 80's- KFJC out of Foothill College in Los Altos Hills, CA.  Those were some cool folks and that station is hugely responsible for leading me to move beyond the 60's music I was into in high school and college.  I still like a lot of that stuff, but in the early 70's, rock began to stale and bore that crap out of me (I dug Lou Reed but, sadly, I wasn't hip to Iggy Pop, New York Dolls and a few others yet).  I turned to jazz which was great (and still am a huge fan) but I really missed good, adventuresome, challenging rock music.  KFJC turned me on to punk, the better new wave stuff and early indie and alternative. Minutemen and The Replacements were two of my first major big thrills in that scene and are still very much long-time favorites.  Those were some great years!
    KFJC was great and so was KSJS out of San Jose State. I grew up in San Jose around the same time you are talking about. Both of those stations were big in me moving from stoner rock to Indie and "rock of the 80"s " as they were calling it back then (later called alternative). I heard R.E.M., Joy Division, the Smiths, The Replacements, Husker Du and bunch of others, and realized how tired the music on KOME and KSJO were.   
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

The Smiths, self-titled

Honorable mention:

Replacements, Let It Be
    X, Los Angeles

KFJC was great and so was KSJS out of San Jose State. I grew up in San Jose around the same time you are talking about. Both of those stations were big in me moving from stoner rock to Indie and "rock of the 80"s " as they were calling it back then (later called alternative). I heard R.E.M., Joy Division, the Smiths, The Replacements, Husker Du and bunch of others, and realized how tired the music on KOME and KSJO were.   

Yes, KSJS, another good Bay Area station! 
    KOME, lol, yep, I remember!

My favorite 60's station was the now-defunct KSAN.  Particularly great was the Abe "Voco" Kesh show that started at midnight and always opened with Harvey Mandel's great number, "Lights Out".  Kesh played the coolest music of those days, not the usual "hits".
    Abe in his hey day:
    Voco Kesh RIPjpg  Abe Keshishian - record producer and D  Bob Simmons   Flickr

brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

The Smiths, self-titled

Honorable mention:

Replacements, Let It Be
    X, Los Angeles

The power of good radio is impossible to describe... but you just did a dang good job brianlux!  It can really be life-changing.
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

The Smiths, self-titled

Honorable mention:

Replacements, Let It Be
    X, Los Angeles

The power of good radio is impossible to describe... but you just did a dang good job brianlux!  It can really be life-changing.

Thanks, JH! 
    Oh to have a good local station like that again!  Yes indeed!

brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

The Smiths, self-titled

Honorable mention:

Replacements, Let It Be
    X, Los Angeles

Thanks, JH! 
    Oh to have a good local station like that again!  Yes indeed!
    Right? I do enjoy WXPN and KEXP online, but the local touch means local bands, local shows, local facts...  I do miss that.  I worked at a couple of college stations and being able to just do anything, where you might now know 80% of the songs played at first but if you trusted the DJ you knew you'd be on a worthwhile musical journey during their show... I do really miss those days.
    Thought I'd just re-up this convo given that yesterday was apparently the 10 yr anniversary of REM calling it quits for good. 

As much as I'd love to hear what they'd be up to now if the original 4 got together and wrote and recorded again, I respect that they went out in a very strong position and just have stayed doing their own things since then.

But lawd do I miss them!
    edited October 2022
    Just got this, hope any of you who can be in the area make it to one, if not both.  No REM members are listed, but the one in Athens, I mean c'mon, how can some of them NOT show up??  Also it's hosted by David Cross & it's at the 40 Watt Club! History!

Also I will go see Fred Armisen do a routine on phone books, I find him so talented & funny (he's at least at Athens show, maybe Atlanta too) &  love the idea of the "Pylon Re-enactment Society" being one of the guest performers!

https://www.nme.com/news/music/benefit-concerts-marking-40th-anniversary-of-r-e-m-s-chronic-town-announced-3324158

Tickets for Athens onsale now, Roxy may have gone onsale earlier in Atlanta...
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    edited October 2022
    [Fixed above post]

Post edited by JH6056 on
    Thanks for sharing!  You never know, maybe they show up!

I attended the Georgia theater fundraiser at the Fox right before the pandemic. 3/4 of R.E.M. reunited, playing 3 tunes and a smattering of older Athens band stuff (like Pylon). Mills sang Texarkana!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Fuck. 40 years.  Take me out to the pasture and shoot me. Guess its 40 years for reckoning next year. Seven Chinese Brothers.
    How the years they do fly by!
    Some of you REM fans might enjoy the work Mike Mills and Peter Buck do together along with Steve Wynn, Scot McCaughey (who was an auxiliary member of REM from 1994 to 2011), and Linda Pitmon in a side project called The Baseball Project.  They get together now and then to do shows and have made three LPs and put out a couple of EPs.  Very cool!
    REMs Mike Mills And The Baseball Project Come to Cleveland  Arts   Culture  Ideastream Public Media

Thanks for sharing!  You never know, maybe they show up!

I attended the Georgia theater fundraiser at the Fox right before the pandemic. 3/4 of R.E.M. reunited, playing 3 tunes and a smattering of older Athens band stuff (like Pylon). Mills sang Texarkana!
    You are so incredibly lucky to have been there for that! Love Texarcana, was just listening to that album very recently...

Do you remember what REM songs they played other than Texarcana?

Get_Right said:
    Fuck. 40 years.  Take me out to the pasture and shoot me. Guess its 40 years for reckoning next year. Seven Chinese Brothers.
    Isn't that impossible to believe?  And now what 12 yrs since they announced the end? 
    brianlux said:
    Some of you REM fans might enjoy the work Mike Mills and Peter Buck do together along with Steve Wynn, Scot McCaughey (who was an auxiliary member of REM from 1994 to 2011), and Linda Pitmon in a side project called The Baseball Project.  They get together now and then to do shows and have made three LPs and put out a couple of EPs.  Very cool!
    REMs Mike Mills And The Baseball Project Come to Cleveland  Arts   Culture  Ideastream Public Media

Thanks for the heads up Brian! I have heard of this but not checked out the music.  Isn't Steve Wynn on this lineup for this 40th? Maybe there'll be some Baseball Project there, who knows!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    JH6056 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Isn't that impossible to believe?  And now what 12 yrs since they announced the end? 
    Reckoning on IRS vinyl is my OG college radio. Fuck. Will they play that at the shuffle board court in Boca? Truthfully I dropped REM when I heard happy shiny people (you may have heard me say that before). But seeing them open for the Police X2 in 83 is a top ten experience.
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks for the heads up Brian! I have heard of this but not checked out the music.  Isn't Steve Wynn on this lineup for this 40th? Maybe there'll be some Baseball Project there, who knows!

I missed that but looking again, you're right!  Fantastic!  I would love to be there.  Maybe they will film it?
    Emoji Request - FingersCrossedHandEmoji