Options

What’s the bands best cover song & why?

2»

Comments

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2020
    Crazy Mary
    I saw Boom and Mike trade off solos in Calgary. Epic. Great version. 

Very honourable mentions for Public Image, Search and Destroy, and Mr. Plow 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,184
    I agree with tbergs, Masters of War it is.
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,520
    Chole Dancer/Crown of Thorns
    JW269453 said:
    Wrigley 2016, Watching Mike rip off his guitar strings was pretty amazing. 
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Baba O’Riley
    Are we talking live versions? If so then it is Baba O'Riley. I'll never get bored of that one, while I feel I have had my share of RITFW's by now.

Studio - then Crazy Mary. Crazy Mary may actually be the best thing they've ever recorded in studio, period - original or cover. I am not a huge fan of the 2003-onwards live versions though. I really can do without the organ jam. I do like the 2000 tour versions, although the song ending feels too abrupt.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,741
    Crazy Mary
    hrd2imgn said:
    Crazy  Mary is the only song that doesn't make me think they are singing a cover.   They make the song better,  not just pay homage or do it justice.  I also think it is one of Eds best studio cuts.  On these grounds last kiss is a close second.

Now what cover do I enjoy the most live is a different question.  I love Throw your Arms around Me, had it on a bootleg long long ago and have always loved it.

Hit the nail on the head with this. I think they REALLY knock Comfortably Numb, Reign O'er Me and Chloe/Crown out of the park. Well fuck, they really do knock all of them out of the park. But those songs are all bad ass songs that I'd gladly listen to at any time. Crazy Mary is phenomenal live (love the addition of BOOM to this live track) and 99.5% of us would not have heard this song otherwise.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    tbergs said:
    Too many great covers, but for me it will always be Masters of War followed by acoustic I Believe in Miracles and Fuckin' Up.
    Definitely up near the top for me as well. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,741
    Crazy Mary
    JW269453 said:
    Wrigley 2016, Watching Mike rip off his guitar strings was pretty amazing. 
    Agreed here too. Of course I knew the song well, but that night at Wrigley, it was a truly overwhelming rendition. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,484
    Crazy Mary
    But also this is great moment..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Posts: 25
    Public Image
    Masters of War
    Patriot

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,178
    RITFW
    RITFW gets a lot of hate because its played alot but it is nearly a live version signature PJ song at this point. They are so good at it you barely even remember it's a cover. It's better than the original. To me the others cant say that.  Baba and CoT take co runner ups.

Crazy Mary and Last Kiss are also better than the originals but I'm a rocker and they dont get me as excited on a personal level.

All that being said. I get way more excited to hear Baba/CoT than RITFW just because I've heard them less.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219
    Sonic Reducer
    Would like to see them do an electric version of this and see what Mike could come up with...

always liked Edge's interpretation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSAmMwYK4s
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 834
    Crazy Mary
    Crazy Mary - the Boom / Mike exchange is incredible.  Ed nails the emotion of the song every time too. It is stunning the way they do it. Top to bottom.
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    I Believe in Miracles
    tbergs said:
    Too many great covers, but for me it will always be Masters of War followed by acoustic I Believe in Miracles and Fuckin' Up.
    Would say acoustic I believe in miracles first but I totally agree. I’d take The real me in 3rd position though, the bass line is just crazy. 
  • Options
    ianh42ianh42 Posts: 196
    Cool thread and thought maybe I'd reinvigorate it with my own top 10 in no particular order, but will say my personal fav has to Love Reign because it's a rarity. Was lucky enough to make it to the Who Tribute at Pauley Pavilion years ago where PJ did it, and it was incredible!

Love Reign
    RITFW
    Baba
    Crazy Mary
    I am a Patriot
    You've got to hide your love away
    Masters of War
    Won't back down
    Redemption song
    Sonic Reducer

Looks like all of the above are live versions so studio mention for me is Crazy Mary...Ed sounds so fricking incredible on it. Last Kiss would have been in there over a decade ago but that song got way too played out for me I can hardly listen to it now.

What new covers would people like to hear if and when they ever play shows again?  For me it is Thank You by LZ, Beth by Kiss would be so cool and Ed could change it to Jill, and there are so many more options.  I wish they'd do something special by Audioslave/Soundgarden/TOTD to honor the late CC...miss that guy so much.  

Cheers to possible shows in the Fall!!!
    Living in a SOLAT...SJ 11/95 SD 11/95 BB 10/96 Oak 11/97 SD 7/98 LA 7/98 BB 10/99 LV 10/00 San B 10/00 Irvine 6/03 SD 6/03 LA 7/06 Fonda 7/06 SB 7/06 DC 6/08 LA 9-30 10-6 & 10-7-09 SD 10-9-09 SD 11/13 LA1&2 11/13 MIL 10/14 OHANA FEST 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 (EV, PJ and PJ Encore 1) SD 5/3/22 LA 5/6/22 LA 5/7/22 Fresno 5/16/22

ISO Tickets for Los Angeles both nights...I got shut out of the 2024 Ten Club tickets :-(
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,370
    Crazy Mary
    rummy said:
    RITFW is played out. There are some great earlier versions (even as recent as 2011) but I completely tune out when I hear it now.
    Correct - they should find a few new concert closers from their own catalogue. What's wrong with Immortality, Inside Job or Parting Ways to close out Night 1?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    edited April 2021
     Fuckin' Up
    Crazy Mary

bonus - Wishing well 

in that order ^^^
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,764
    I’ve Got A Feeling
    IGaF.  Shame it fell out of rotation.  They really turned into an epic live jam.

Crazy Mary would be next for sure.  So many of the others fall flat as just either over done or bad photocopy performances.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,522
    edited April 2021
    Sonic Reducer
    I don't remember what I voted, but Sonic Reducer is my fav. RITFW is their best.

Edit - glad my vote agrees with me :)
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: