Options

I am not sure why I feel so much guilt right now.

PhoolPhool Milwaukee, WI Posts: 74
edited April 2021 in The Porch
I have not spoken to my high school best freind in over 20 years.  In college he started to get heavy into drinking and drugs and at times went along with it and other times just shook my head at him.  This went on up to graduation where we both graduated and got careers.  During this time we both met are future wives and I felt like things were going great but always knew my freind still had a problem. 

I tried countless times to get him to clean up and to get help but he always turned it around on me and that it was my problem for not believing that he could quit anytime.  I hung on longer until he started presuring me to join in his activities which I kept saying no to...which as you can guess made him more distant.  It got to a point where I gave one last ditch effort to have himself stop and after a very painful argument and bad things said ended my 12 year friendship with him and severed all ties with him.

I always had dread and guilt turning my back to him and decided to reach out to him about 5 years ago and never got a response.  For how corny as it sounded I reached out to him every 6 months in hopes I could get him on a good day and he would open up to me.  Finally 2 months ago I decided enough was enough and figured out where he lived.  I had worked up what I was going to say to him and prayed he got himself clean. The plan was to come out Saturday (TODAY) and knock on his door and hope he would just say hi.

Out of the blue on Wednesday I googled his name again and found that he died 4 weeks ago.  Just crushed knowing I waited to long.  After reaching out to anyone we knew I found out he did not get clean and literally drank himself to death.  I was told he never cleaned up and really damaged his insides and was told to stop the drinking, which he never could do.  The ending demise was the  suffering he had since the start of the year after finding out his wife was being treated for cancer paired with Covid complications in which all of her organs shut down.

I just feel so much guilt and pain right now.  I know I shouldn't beat myself up but God, I feel so much guilt right now.
Post edited by Phool on

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532

That is terrible.  I am sorry for your loss.

As I read what you write I think we all would be lucky to have a friend like you who cared enough to tell us when we are going down the wrong path (and repeatedly until you were completely shut out).  I would venture to say you were not the only one trying to convince him to change over the last 10 years and you shouldn't beat yourself up.  Easy for me to say though.   Ultimately it looks like the addiction was in control and not him or anyone else.  A terrible thing.   

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    edited April 2021
    This is NOT on you.
    You're guilt is understandable but it's not your fault.
    Right now you're  moving through the 5 stages of grieving. It will take time.
    Maybe this will help....

Five Stages Of Grief - Understanding the Kubler-Ross Model https://www.psycom.net/depression.central.grief.html
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    You did all you could do. Don't blame yourself, and carry that weight on your sholders. Be angry, sad, hurt, and have all the emotions. Time will heal this. You are in my thoughts.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,764
    Tough ride this thing called life is. Take care and try to give yourself a bit of all that love you give away. 
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,141
    Sorry this happened.  Same thing happened to me with a friend from culinary school.  He wouldn’t  listen to me or anyone else who tried.  Don’t beat yourself up over it, honestly there’s little chance you could have helped.  Still very sorry this happened, hopefully your day gets better.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    So sorry for your loss. I hope you’re able to find comfort in the fact that you kept trying.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,180
    I am sorry for your loss as well.  It appears you did everything one could reasonably do to help, and more.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited April 2021
    That sucks, sorry to hear this.  
    As others have shared this is certainly on no way something you should feel guilty about, but it says a lot for the kind of friend that you were to him that you tried at all, much less over and over again.

Good luck getting through this....music can be a great friend during times like these.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 399
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I can imagine how rough you are feeling and now sure anything said here will help, but it sounds like you were supportive and caring and that is all that we can do for each other. Please take care.
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,151
    I'm sorry for your loss. It seems like you tried your best to help someone that you care about. You tried your best to point out that his behavior was unacceptable. You tried your best not to encourage it. In my honest opinion, it seems like you were a rock, and your friend failed you and himself. I know that doesn't erase your loss, but I hope you take solace in knowing that you tried.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,835
    I'm sorry for your loss, Phool. Your post shows you were a good, genuine friend and tried multiple times to throw your buddy a life rope. I pray your guilt subsides, and that you remember to extend yourself some grace....your friend's death is not on you. Maybe consider connecting w/ a professional counselor to help navigate the grief and pain, both of which are healthy emotions after losing someone so close. 
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Phool said:
    I have not spoken to my high school best freind in over 20 years.  In college he started to get heavy into drinking and drugs and at times went along with it and other times just shook my head at him.  This went on up to graduation where we both graduated and got careers.  During this time we both met are future wives and I felt like things were going great but always knew my freind still had a problem. 

I tried countless times to get him to clean up and to get help but he always turned it around on me and that it was my problem for not believing that he could quit anytime.  I hung on longer until he started presuring me to join in his activities which I kept saying no to...which as you can guess made him more distant.  It got to a point where I gave one last ditch effort to have himself stop and after a very painful argument and bad things said ended my 12 year friendship with him and severed all ties with him.

I always had dread and guilt turning my back to him and decided to reach out to him about 5 years ago and never got a response.  For how corny as it sounded I reached out to him every 6 months in hopes I could get him on a good day and he would open up to me.  Finally 2 months ago I decided enough was enough and figured out where he lived.  I had worked up what I was going to say to him and prayed he got himself clean. The plan was to come out Saturday (TODAY) and knock on his door and hope he would just say hi.

Out of the blue on Wednesday I googled his name again and found that he died 4 weeks ago.  Just crushed knowing I waited to long.  After reaching out to anyone we knew I found out he did not get clean and literally drank himself to death.  I was told he never cleaned up and really damaged his insides and was told to stop the drinking, which he never could do.  The ending demise was the  suffering he had since the start of the year after finding out his wife was being treated for cancer paired with Covid complications in which all of her organs shut down.

I just feel so much guilt and pain right now.  I know I shouldn't beat myself up but God, I feel so much guilt right now.
    Don't beat yourself up, you always cared. You can't help someone who doesn't want help or recognizes that they need help.  I have alcoholism in my family and it is heartbreaking to watch.  You can care with all of your being but until that person who is ill decides to care enough about their own well being and decide to reach out and get help; there is nothing you can do to change their path in life.  It's painfully sad, but that is the reality.  They know they need help, they know how much they are hurting their loved ones, but they are ill.  Very sorry for your loss but it was out of your control.  
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,366
    Your a good friend. Im sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

I am so sorry for your loss , it sounds like you were a very good friend who kept trying and trying. Although I would be lying to say if I was in your shoes I would also feel some sort of guilt , I would need someone to tell me " its not your fault ".

You sound like a very caring person and I am so sorry for your loss.