Options

What was the first Seattle band you saw in concert at a Seattle venue?

PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
edited April 2021 in Other Music
Happy Seattle Rock Day! :rock_on:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,840
    I saw the Murder City Devils at a club when I visited a friend of mine in Seattle in the late 1990s.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,423
    First Seattle band I saw in Seattle was PJ in December 2013

First ever show in Seattle was Ministry/L7 in 1999 at the Paramount.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    I saw The Beatniks in 1995.  They were a local cover band that had a good following.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    Pearl Jam at the Mercer arena 1993.  I've been hooked ever since
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    If we count the Gorge as Seattle (which I do, because George, WA has like 200 people, so obviously it's main draw is from people in Seattle).

I think it was Lolla '96.   RATM, Ramones, Devo, Metallica, Soundgarden - So I guess Soundgarden would be the first.

If we don't count the Gorge, then it's Pearl Jam's 2nd show at Memorial Stadium in '98.

I'm missing Seattle shows a lot.  Given that I live in Vancouver Island, I travel to either Vancouver or Seattle for bigger shows.   I much prefer Seattle.    The last show I saw in Seattle was the Stones in 2019 (which is also my last stadium/arena sized concert) :(
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited April 2021
    Zod said:
    If we count the Gorge as Seattle (which I do, because George, WA has like 200 people, so obviously it's main draw is from people in Seattle).

I think it was Lolla '96.   RATM, Ramones, Devo, Metallica, Soundgarden - So I guess Soundgarden would be the first.

If we don't count the Gorge, then it's Pearl Jam's 2nd show at Memorial Stadium in '98.

I'm missing Seattle shows a lot.  Given that I live in Vancouver Island, I travel to either Vancouver or Seattle for bigger shows.   I much prefer Seattle.    The last show I saw in Seattle was the Stones in 2019 (which is also my last stadium/arena sized concert) :(
    I would be in the camp that doesn’t count George, WA as Seattle. If it is you may as well count Calgary as Edmonton or vice versa. It’s over two hours away. Not exactly a suburb lol. 

For reference. My house to downtown Edmonchuck:

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    Zod said:

I would be in the camp that doesn’t count George, WA as Seattle. If it is you may as well count Calgary as Edmonton or vice versa. It’s over two hours away. Not exactly a suburb lol. 

Yah, but it's a Seattle venue. There's like 200 people that live in George, WA.  The concerts are obviously not for them.   Seattle is the only major population centre anywhere near it.

Calgary and Edmonton are different.  There big enough to host their own shows.  George, WA isn't and hosts shows for Seattle, ergo a Seattle venue :)
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,764
    Zod said:

Get your records out I'm comming over!!
  • Options
    In all fairness, Tacoma and Everett are as close as Seattle.  Spokane is about 15 minutes closer. Coeur D’ Alene is only 15 minutes farther than Spokane. Wenatchee is 45 minutes away. 

The Gorge is actually a regional event venue. People meet in the middle. 

PJ has played in Spokane and George is actually closer to Spokane than Seattle. Therefore, Seattle is not the only major population centre near it and your argument falls apart there. I’ve never heard anyone say they saw a band at “the Gorge in Seattle”.    
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    hopefully in the future it will be PJ.....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    halvhalv Posts: 678
    Mudhoney at the Crocodile Cafe 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I’ve been to Seattle, but music was not on the agenda back in April 2002. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Zod said:

Get your records out I'm comming over!!
    They are ready Lou! Lots of rum available as well 🤙🤙
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    hopefully in the future it will be PJ.....
    :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    E-G-A-GE-G-A-G Posts: 228
    Pearl Jam Key Arena 9/16/96 was my first show in Seattle.

PS - Gorge is NOT IN SEATTLE. Not even close.
  • Options
    Obviously the gorge isn't physically in seattle, but it is a seattle venue.   Seattle's the biggest closest population centre.  The Seattle area has something like 4 million people and spokane has a few hundred thousand.

The majority of people that go to gorge shows are from the seattle area, but yes, people travel from other areas too.

If seattle wasn't a few hours drive away, there wouldn't be enough people to warrant having a venue there. 
  • Options
    E-G-A-GE-G-A-G Posts: 228
    edited April 2021
    You should change your name to Rand McNally. If it's so obvious that it's not in Seattle, as you say, why are we still talking about it?
    Post edited by E-G-A-G on
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I think my 1st ever shows at all in Seattle were Bumbershoot '93 or '94, and the 1st band definitely from Seattle I remember seeing was Sky Cries Mary... and I remember liking them a LOT.
  • Options
    E-G-A-G said:
    You should change your name to Rand McNally. If it's so obvious that it's not in Seattle, as you say, why are we still talking about it?

I dunno, why are you so determined to keep arguing it's physical location opposed to the market it serves?
  • Options
    looking at a map it looks to me like it serves several communities, so I wouldn't personally attribute it to seattle exclusively. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i'm pearl jam obsessed
  • Options
    looking at a map it looks to me like it serves several communities, so I wouldn't personally attribute it to seattle exclusively. 
    I would agree with that, but Seattle would be the primary market, because all the other cities that surround the gorge area are fairly small in comparison.

Anyways....

For those that thing the gorge serves george, wa which has a population of 501 people, then my first seattle band a seattle venue would be Pearl Jam at Memorial Coliseum on July 22 1998.
  • Options
    all I'm saying is, we also have a venue like that (or we did-it didn't last more than one year). it's located near a beach an hour north of Winnipeg. Winnipeg is definitely the closest biggest market, but I still wouldn't call it a Winnipeg venue. 

just a matter of personal perspective I guess. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    In all fairness.  While the Gorge is not Seattle.  Big bands that are touring late spring to early fall either play Seattle, or the Gorge. Not both.  So i think promoters and tour managers consider it a Seattle stop.  I've seen bands do the Gorge+Vancouver WA/Portland.  And Gorge+Vancouver B.C.   But rarely Gorge+Seattle.  Make any sense?
  • Options
    mr bungle said:
    In all fairness.  While the Gorge is not Seattle.  Big bands that are touring late spring to early fall either play Seattle, or the Gorge. Not both.  So i think promoters and tour managers consider it a Seattle stop.  I've seen bands do the Gorge+Vancouver WA/Portland.  And Gorge+Vancouver B.C.   But rarely Gorge+Seattle.  Make any sense?
    on one tour, The Tragically Hip inexplicably played Brandon, a city 1/10 the size of Winnipeg, and 3 hours away, but not Winnipeg. I'm sure most of that crowd was made up of Winnipeggers. Does that make the Brandon Keystone Centre a Winnipeg venue?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mr bungle said:
    on one tour, The Tragically Hip inexplicably played Brandon, a city 1/10 the size of Winnipeg, and 3 hours away, but not Winnipeg. I'm sure most of that crowd was made up of Winnipeggers. Does that make the Brandon Keystone Centre a Winnipeg venue?

Technically it was the same when PJ played the Pemberton festival a few years ago.  Obviously it was in Pemberton, but Pemberton only has a population of a few thousand.  So physically it's in Pemberton, but in spirit it's a Vancouver show.

I still can't believe a lot of 10c'ers didn't go that show because "it wasn't in vancouver".   I fucking loved that show :)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    mr bungle said:

Technically it was the same when PJ played the Pemberton festival a few years ago.  Obviously it was in Pemberton, but Pemberton only has a population of a few thousand.  So physically it's in Pemberton, but in spirit it's a Vancouver show.

I still can't believe a lot of 10c'ers didn't go that show because "it wasn't in vancouver".   I fucking loved that show :)
    Last time I looked the concert poster said Pemberton not Vancouver. 
    A concert location is its physical location, not where it is “in spirit”. How the hell would you find the venue? 😂
  • Options
    Zod said:
    mr bungle said:

A concert location is its physical location, not where it is “in spirit”. How the hell would you find the venue? 😂
    hey siri, open google spirit location and find "pearl jam concert". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Zod said:
    mr bungle said:

hey siri, open google spirit location and find "pearl jam concert". 
    Haha.
    Zod’s point is not completely without merit. Pearl Jam isn’t playing Smithers, BC for example. The promoters need to know there is a population area close by that will ensure enough people attend to make it profitable. 

However, I still believe the show is its physical location. Small towns like Pemberton and George WA are in many ways put on the map with these large events. If we don’t recognize those locations, they lose some of the fringe benefits and esteem that recognition provides. As a small-town boy most of my life, it was always very cool when people remembered the town(s) I grew up in. Often it was due to a concert or some other large event. 

Let’s not take that away from those folks 😎
  • Options
    of course; it's all a matter of perspective/opinion. I understand what he's saying, for sure. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com