NUKE THE FILIBUSTER

2»

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Come on guys what about the coequal branches and the separation of powers and the government working exactly as designed within our two party system
    the filibuster is not in the constitution...

the way our government functions now with minority in the senate controlling everything is not the way the government was designed.
    I know.  That was the argument that was given to me on this board many times when I was crying about electoral politics during the presidential election.  And I used the same argument about how nowhere in the constitution is there mention of democrats or republicans or a two party system.  Yes the filibuster is a racist tool of white supremacy.  And needs to go.  Please excuse my earlier sarcasm
    Fillibuster racist?  It's a means of blocking a bill from being passed or counted, not sure how it's racist?  Or is it because of everything else mentioned in the proposed bill?

Asking a question.

Also if the fillibuster goes you'll have Mitch on record stating that he would make things very difficult for anything to go through by the opposition.  He means what he says.  He'd screw up something that he wrote even if the dems supported it, he is that vengeful. I'm shocked he said that out in public and people will still vote for him?  It really is party first and country second.

Being a product of American democracy designed by wealthy white men trying to evade taxes and make their livings off the backs of people with different colored skin makes it as inherently racist as any part of our government I guess.   While it may not be an exclusively racist tactic it has certainly been used a majority of the time to block progress and civil rights legislation.
    Since you put it that way, the constitution is racist too then?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    Come on guys what about the coequal branches and the separation of powers and the government working exactly as designed within our two party system

the way our government functions now with minority in the senate controlling everything is not the way the government was designed.
    I know.  That was the argument that was given to me on this board many times when I was crying about electoral politics during the presidential election.  And I used the same argument about how nowhere in the constitution is there mention of democrats or republicans or a two party system.  Yes the filibuster is a racist tool of white supremacy.  And needs to go.  Please excuse my earlier sarcasm
    Fillibuster racist?  It's a means of blocking a bill from being passed or counted, not sure how it's racist?  Or is it because of everything else mentioned in the proposed bill?

Asking a question.

Also if the fillibuster goes you'll have Mitch on record stating that he would make things very difficult for anything to go through by the opposition.  He means what he says.  He'd screw up something that he wrote even if the dems supported it, he is that vengeful. I'm shocked he said that out in public and people will still vote for him?  It really is party first and country second.

Being a product of American democracy designed by wealthy white men trying to evade taxes and make their livings off the backs of people with different colored skin makes it as inherently racist as any part of our government I guess.   While it may not be an exclusively racist tactic it has certainly been used a majority of the time to block progress and civil rights legislation.

ummm 3/5 of a human?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    edited March 2021
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Asking a question.

Sexist too, it only allowed white men to vote. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Asking a question.

elitist too. only property owners could vote.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Asking a question.

I mean the whole thing is built on it so yeah.  We as a society have been making it better, in fits and starts, but I fear we may not be able to do enough before it’s too late.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Asking a question.

elitist too. only property owners could vote.....

Yup; HCR's newsletter about how the southern politicians handled reconstruction was really eye opening.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    edited March 2021
    They didn't make amendments to the above to be inclusive?

The last 100 years has been about erasing the previous 300.

Edit: I only think of the modern day constitution.  
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on