I'm bidding on an apartment

Comments

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    I think my bathroom is the nicest looking out of these three too, even with them being sold for a higher price:

Absolutely. Nice modern pad, enjoy!
  • hedonist said:
    Moving into a new place can be fun, even cathartic. Clear out unneeded crap, start with a fresh canvas.

That place needs some color though. 
    I live in Sweden though :)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Damn. Too bland for me. We don’t have one white wall here.

No wooden ones though (don’t paint yours).
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    hedonist said:

Agreed. I think I have 2 white walls in my entire apartment. But one is in the kitchen where I wanted a Mediterranean feel so one wall is white and the others are turquoise. Even my bathroom walls are a silvery purple. In my living room I have one natural brick wall (which I love), and the other three walls are each a different color. I see the allure of all white walls for that clean minimalist aesthetic. But I need to be surrounded by color. 

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

Agreed. I think I have 2 white walls in my entire apartment. But one is in the kitchen where I wanted a Mediterranean feel so one wall is white and the others are turquoise. Even my bathroom walls are a silvery purple. In my living room I have one natural brick wall (which I love), and the other three walls are each a different color. I see the allure of all white walls for that clean minimalist aesthetic. But I need to be surrounded by color. 

You ladies have any shiplap in your abode's?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

A form of shiplap, I suppose... :whistle:

The literal wall kind? Nope. 

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

Nope. Just brick. But the family room in my childhood home had a wood plank wall on one side (real wood - not paneling), and a cork wall on the other. It was also one of those sunken rooms - the house was an early 1970s split level. My parents finally moved out of there about 20 years ago.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Looks great sc!! Congrats.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Your bathroom looks cool SC and I love the nordic design. At the same time I also really like the sound of Hobbes and GG's colour injection.  
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Is your mortgage interest tax deductible? None of my renter friends enjoyed the that benefit while building equity at the same time. Fat checks the first five years! Renting contributes the wealth of your landlord while you spend after tax dollars with no return.  Congrats and the apartment looks very nice!

• Get_Right said:
    Is your mortgage interest tax deductible?

You get something back every year on the tax returns in Sweden for the mortgage interest, like 20-30 % - do not know why really. But yes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2021
    I have meetings next week with 4-5 different banks... and have started an excel document for listing their offers and how far under the "list interest rates" they can go...
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Wouldn't Nordic design in Sweden simply be design?

That'd be like going out for Chinese food while visiting China.
  • Hobbes said:

So, what is your point? 

If I would want examples of "chinese food" I woudn't google "food" even with me being in China.
    Hobbes said:

So, what is your point? 

If I would want examples of "chinese food" I woudn't google "food" even with me being in China.
    Someone pointed out they liked the Nordic design of your apartment.

My point? I often don't have one. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

So, what is your point? 

We’re all getting a little older, Hobbesy. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

So, what is your point? 

We’re all getting a little older, Hobbesy. 
    Pointed.

"Half of what I say is meaningless..."
  • Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

So, what is your point? 

Nordic (Scandinavian) design, is a thing:

Scandinavian design is a design movement characterized by simplicity, minimalism and functionality that emerged in the early 20th century, and subsequently flourished in the 1950s throughout the five Nordic countriesNorwaySwedenFinlandDenmark, and Iceland.

Scandinavian designers are known especially for household goods including furniture, textiles, ceramics, lamps, and glass, but Scandinavian design has been extended to industrial design such as of consumer electronics, mobile phones, and cars.

The style @hedonist and @GlowGirl prefer is "Pippi Longstocking/Villa Villekulla design". Hehe.

Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

So, what is your point? 

Scandinavian design is a design movement characterized by simplicity, minimalism and functionality that emerged in the early 20th century, and subsequently flourished in the 1950s throughout the five Nordic countriesNorwaySwedenFinlandDenmark, and Iceland.

Scandinavian designers are known especially for household goods including furniture, textiles, ceramics, lamps, and glass, but Scandinavian design has been extended to industrial design such as of consumer electronics, mobile phones, and cars.

The style @hedonist and @GlowGirl prefer is "Pippi Longstocking/Villa Villekulla design". Hehe.

*sigh* I know. My post was a humorous one, I thought. Maybe something was lost in translation. Or I'm not as witty as I think I am.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

So, what is your point? 

*sigh* I know. My post was a humorous one, I thought. Maybe something was lost in translation. Or I'm not as witty as I think I am.
    Don’t despair, Hobbes, I at least found it rather witty ;)
  • Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

So, what is your point? 

Just couldn't resist to take the chance to get swedish Pippi Longstocking and her interior design into the thread.
    Hobbes is a wascally wabbit...I mean, tiger.

Pippi was a favorite of mine growing up. Perhaps that’s why? I dunno, just love (need) deep rich colors around me. 
    I heart Pippi!
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I’ve been a homeowner since I was 23 ... nothing like it as far as I’m concerned.  Grew up in a single dwelling home...lived in apartment for 3-4 years hated it and decided to buy...never regretted it...and banks are always easier to deal with if times are tough than landlords, in my opinion.

I like having A yard and some space...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    That looks lovely. I am a loan officer over here so I curious how mortgages work in your country. Quick google search showed a 50 year term is popular....is that right? 

Also I would keep the wooden wall. That is called shiplap or something right? Cool feature. I'd even make it appear more natural wood looking too. 

Congrats. 
    How expensive are home if you need 50 year terms?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited February 2021
    That looks lovely. I am a loan officer over here so I curious how mortgages work in your country. Quick google search showed a 50 year term is popular....is that right? 

Also I would keep the wooden wall. That is called shiplap or something right? Cool feature. I'd even make it appear more natural wood looking too. 

Congrats. 
    In Sweden the default is for the bank to have you pay back the mortgage in 600 payments. That is 12 payments a year during 50 years.

What is the default in Canada?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Congrats. 
    In Sweden the default is for the bank to have you pay back the mortgage in 600 payments. That is 12 payments a year during 50 years.

What is the default in Canada?
    25 years is the term most homebuyers choose (especially 1st time homebuyers).  A few years back we use to have 30 and 35 year terms, these are no longer available...the 30 plus terms will need to come back eventually...home are selling fast and sometimes double over asking where I live (Windsor, Ontario area).  This area used to be very affordable...not any more.  And there is nothing special about where I live...just crazy...

I work with young folks who have given up hopes of home ownership?  I find that sad.  I have always enjoyed home ownership.  

Here in Canada, home ownership for most has always felt like a birth right...not anymore...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    So what is the mortgage rate/percentage on your mortages? 
  • Not sure but I'm happy to be reducing the term everytime it gets renewed.