I'm bidding on an apartment

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited February 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
How the hell did I wind up doing this. Didn't have a thought of actually buying an apartment as late as this weekend, and I live pretty cheap in the rental apartment from municipal housing company I have... 

This one would be both smaller, and more expensive. My friends girlfriend tricked me.

ANXIETY. 

MR SELF DESTRUCT

MY CAT DESERVES A BALCONY
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
    Good luck and enjoy living your life. It sounds very nice. Take care
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    You should throw in one of those vegan desserts you shared. 
    Never know what can tilt an offer in favor of one bidder from the other when the money is close. 

Good luck.  Stressful but fun time, picking out a home.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Buying homes is stupid. We've done it three times now (including our present home), and I much prefer renting. I'd rather a human get my money than a goddamn bank.

And I don't even know what the fuck "building equity" means, so that argument falls flat on me. Sounds lame.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Good luck @Spiritual_Chaos sounds like a good move.... nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Sounds nice for the cat and I like what F Me said. @dankind equity is the return on your investment xxx
    Good luck @Spiritual_Chaos sounds like a good move.... nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Sounds nice for the cat and I like what F Me said. @dankind equity is the return on your investment xxx
    Also sounds lame. 

A return on my rental investments was that I didn't have to pay out of pocket to fix broken shit. And the monthly payment (i.e., rent) was always lower than every mortgage we've ever had.

That was much better for my peace of mind than worrying about what's going to break next and how much it's going to cost.

But I suppose we've gotta keep those banks solvent somehow. We've all seen what happens when they shit the bed.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    dankind said:
    Good luck @Spiritual_Chaos sounds like a good move.... nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Sounds nice for the cat and I like what F Me said. @dankind equity is the return on your investment xxx
      And the monthly payment (i.e., rent) was always lower than every mortgage we've ever had.

Bet that wouldn't be the case currently.
    Rents have skyrocketed (obviously slowing as of about a year ago).
    I bet if you look at what you can rent for what your current mortgage payment is, it wouldn't be anywhere close to the house you're in.
    Supposedly if I were to rent my house I could get about twice what my current mortgage payment is.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • dankind said:
    Also sounds lame. 

A return on my rental investments was that I didn't have to pay out of pocket to fix broken shit. And the monthly payment (i.e., rent) was always lower than every mortgage we've ever had.

That was much better for my peace of mind than worrying about what's going to break next and how much it's going to cost.

But I suppose we've gotta keep those banks solvent somehow. We've all seen what happens when they shit the bed.
    I agree with everything here, with me having such low rent as I have had in my rent apartment. 

But somehow I won the bidding... no one bid over me... signed the contract a few hours ago. What happened... 

This wasn't planned...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited February 2021
    dankind said:
    Also sounds lame. 

I agree with everything here, with me having such low rent as I have had in my rent apartment. 

But somehow I won the bidding... no one bid over me... signed the contract a few hours ago. What happened... 

This wasn't planned...
    You’re just one of us squares, now, S_C. 

Next stop, soul-crushing ennui. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dankind said:
    Buying homes is stupid. We've done it three times now (including our present home), and I much prefer renting. I'd rather a human get my money than a goddamn bank.

And I don't even know what the fuck "building equity" means, so that argument falls flat on me. Sounds lame.
    Renting isn’t so much fun when you live in a place with high rents and low availability. The vacancy rate here  hovered around 1%  for a couple of years, and now has risen to the dizzying heights of 2%. When vacancy rates are that low, tenants always have to worry about eviction and then scrambling to find another place. A nothing-special two bedroom apartment might get 60 tenancy applications. 

At least when you own a place, you won’t be forced out unless you can’t pay your mortgage. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    dan just likes being miserable.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

chinese-happy.jpg
    Wobbie said:
    dan just likes being miserable.
    This is quite possibly the stupidest thing anyone has ever said about another person, but that’s no surprise, considering the source. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Also sounds lame. 

This wasn't planned...

Moving to a smaller apartment. Paying more every month :/

Getting the apartment on the 23rd of April. Now I will have to find a bank with good mortgage rates... 

I got the "loan commitment" (?) from another bank than the one I belong to - because my bank was so slow... so now I feel pretty open to scout around for a bank that gives me the best deal...

Still... this was all very dumb.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Also sounds lame. 

This wasn't planned...

Getting the apartment on the 23rd of April. Now I will have to find a bank with good mortgage rates... 

I got the "loan commitment" (?) from another bank than the one I belong to - because my bank was so slow... so now I feel pretty open to scout around for a bank that gives me the best deal...

What are loan rates like in Sweden?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Am I missing something? If it’s not a smart move as you say, why do it right now?
    hedonist said:
    Am I missing something? If it’s not a smart move as you say, why do it right now?
    Yeah it sounds like he is somehow being forced into a worse situation. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Also sounds lame. 

This wasn't planned...

I bet higher than they are in Norway. Fucking Swedes....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Also sounds lame. 

This wasn't planned...

I bet higher than they are in Norway. Fucking Swedes....

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2021
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Also sounds lame. 

This wasn't planned...

My current ordinary rent apartment (52 square metres). 
    613 USD (exluding electricty, insurance, broadband etc)

The new one (35,5 square metres but with a balcony for the cat): 
    Fee to the "tenant-owned association" - 350 USD (excluding electricity, insurance, broadband etc)

Amortization/repayment of loan - have to be 1-2 % of total loan per month depending of how much of the total cost of the apartment you took a loan for. In Sweden you have to be able to pay at least 15% of the total cost with your own money (cash deposit?).

Mortgage/ - 1.3-1.6 % of total loan (Depending on if you tie yourself up for a couple of years or not, and how big the cash deposit is etc.

Will end up being 730-850 USD depending on how big my cash deposit is.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    You gave up 52 square meters for 35? That’s got to be one hell of a balcony... are they that rare in Göteborg?
    edited February 2021
    JPPJ84 said:
    You gave up 52 square meters for 35? That’s got to be one hell of a balcony... are they that rare in Göteborg?
    Well, there are some less rational reasons for wanting "something new". I've lived at the same place since 2013, felt like getting something new and sort of "restarting" - with balcony, wooden floors, an apartment that hopefully will rise in value. 

I had also saved up some money and never really decided about what to do with them so infaltion was eating them up on my bank account with next to no interest... so now I just did something with them...

I also do not have a problem living "smaller". My apartment is a lot of empty space. So instead of furnituring it up, why not find a place for the furniture I got? :) So now I got myself a 1,5 room apartment instead of a 2 room apartment. And 15 square meeters less but 4 square meeters of baclony added. Haha.

The images of the apartment is gone from the internet, with the sale ending... wish I would have saved some of them... so I could show how it looks.

AND YES THE BALCONY WILL HAVE "EVENING SUN" INSTEAD OF "MORNING SUN" - THE MOST IMPORTANT METRIC HERE IN SWEDEN (maybe the world?)!
    Haha, yes, who needs morning sun on their balcony? Mine is in the sun from 1 p.m. till sunset 😎
    As long as you’re happy with it, it’s all good. Though I can’t decide if you actually are ;)
    edited February 2021
    Should be noted that when the broker called me up, and told me the other bidders had left the bidding she slipped out a "well.. the seller was hoping to get more..." so atleast I feel like I haven't done a "terrible deal" or been taken for a fool. It sold for less than I thought, and less than other apartments of the same design/size in the apartment building.
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited February 2021
    I think this is fantastic @spiritual_chaos I'm sure once you have moved you'll never look back.  Moving can be stressful and I'm sure you and your cat will be really happy in your new apartment with a balcony. Shame we dont get to see the photos, perhaps once you've settled in and organised yourself :)
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Also sounds lame. 

This wasn't planned...

My current ordinary rent apartment (52 square metres). 
    613 USD (exluding electricty, insurance, broadband etc)

The new one (35,5 square metres but with a balcony for the cat): 
    Fee to the "tenant-owned association" - 350 USD (excluding electricity, insurance, broadband etc)

Amortization/repayment of loan - have to be 1-2 % of total loan per month depending of how much of the total cost of the apartment you took a loan for. In Sweden you have to be able to pay at least 15% of the total cost with your own money (cash deposit?).

Mortgage/ - 1.3-1.6 % of total loan (Depending on if you tie yourself up for a couple of years or not, and how big the cash deposit is etc.

Will end up being 730-850 USD depending on how big my cash deposit is.

Wow. 613 USD for rent. I haven't seen that rent around here for a one bedroom in over 20 years. Quadruple that and add a few more hundred, and you've got my rent.

• I think this is fantastic @spiritual_chaos I'm sure once you have moved you'll never look back.  Moving can be stressful and I'm sure you and your cat will be really happy in your new apartment with a balcony. Shame we dont get to see the photos, perhaps once you've settled in and organised yourself :)
    I found some in my "web cashe" from the listing:

Looks nice! Looks like a closed balcony?!
    edited February 2021
    JPPJ84 said:
    Looks nice! Looks like a closed balcony?!
    We call it "inglasad balkong" (glazed balcony? Verglaster Balkon?). Safe for the cat! and you can use the balcony longer time of the year because it keeps the temperature. But you can slide open the windows. :) 

Should I paint the wooden wall (Where the TV is in the pictures) completely white? Or should I make it into a smooth wall instead, like the rest are?
  • AND WOULD A BENAROYA HALL VINYL LOOK GOOD IN THAT APARTMENT?!
    That looks lovely. I am a loan officer over here so I curious how mortgages work in your country. Quick google search showed a 50 year term is popular....is that right? 

Also I would keep the wooden wall. That is called shiplap or something right? Cool feature. I'd even make it appear more natural wood looking too. 

Congrats. 
    chinese-happy.jpg