Swedish dairy company cancels pastry contest when Vegan pastry leads

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited February 2021 in A Moving Train
This is about the "famous" Swedish pastry "Semla" that we eat every year at his time - having February 16th as the official "Semla day".

At the beginning of each year, semla can be seen everywhere in Sweden. This little brioche with almond paste and whipped cream that is dusted with icing sugar is more than a tradition in Sweden. It is a real institution!

For nine years Sweden's biggest dairy company has held a contest where people can vote on the "best Semla" from cafés throughout the country. 

With one week (1) left of the contest a vegan Semla went up in the lead - which led the dairy company to abruptly cancel the contest citing the pandemic as a reason, and wanting instead - with one week left of the contest - to help out struggling cafés by buying 100 Semlor from the cafés in the top of the contest to give away to elderly and hospital staff. They have refused to buy any Semlor from the Vegan place that was in the lead though.

Has become quite the story here in Sweden. And a prime example of a bad way of handling PR etc.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    Fuckers
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Those look pretty tasty. I'm in, for either version. 

And companies really should think through the potential implications of their marketing programs. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Agreed, They look awesome!!  Reminds me of an Italian pastry.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Looks good!
    If that is how things actually went down, that seems kind of messed up.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Exclusion exists all over the world...

Those sound and look fantastic. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    The look yummy and I can't eat cow dairy anyway so bring on the vegan pastries.  I'm there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I wonder, is it possible that vegans were gaming the vote unfairly?  Not saying the vegan option wasn't the best or that there must be foul play involved, and I'm not even saying that the dairy company was justified in calling it off but we've seen this kind of thing play out before.  Open voting platforms online can get stormed by internet communities and overrun by votes that aren't true to the spirit of the contest.
    The most famously hilarious example was the "Dub the Dew" Mountain Dew online naming contest with such results as
    "Hitler did nothing wrong"
    "Diabeetus"
    "Sierra Mist"
    "Fapple"  (fap is slang for male masturbation, FYI)
    "Gushin' Granny"

Open polls on the internet are dangerous lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    rgambs said:
    I wonder, is it possible that vegans were gaming the vote unfairly?  Not saying the vegan option wasn't the best or that there must be foul play involved, and I'm not even saying that the dairy company was justified in calling it off but we've seen this kind of thing play out before.  Open voting platforms online can get stormed by internet communities and overrun by votes that aren't true to the spirit of the contest.
    The most famously hilarious example was the "Dub the Dew" Mountain Dew online naming contest with such results as
    "Diabeetus"
    "Sierra Mist"
    "Gushin' Granny"

I like Diabeetus the best.  :rofl: 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    rgambs said:
    "Diabeetus"
    "Sierra Mist"
    "Gushin' Granny"

I think you are on to something 😊 vegans can be a powerful group of often young adults 
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I am not a vegan by any means, but that was pretty crappy.  Sore losers is all I can come up with...
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    This is about the "famous" Swedish pastry "Semla" that we eat every year at his time - having February 16th as the official "Semla day".

At the beginning of each year, semla can be seen everywhere in Sweden. This little brioche with almond paste and whipped cream that is dusted with icing sugar is more than a tradition in Sweden. It is a real institution!

For nine years Sweden's biggest dairy company has held a contest where people can vote on the "best Semla" from cafés throughout the country. 

With one week (1) left of the contest a vegan Semla went up in the lead - which led the dairy company to abruptly cancel the contest citing the pandemic as a reason, and wanting instead - with one week left of the contest - to help out struggling cafés by buying 100 Semlor from the cafés in the top of the contest to give away to elderly and hospital staff. They have refused to buy any Semlor from the Vegan place that was in the lead though.

Has become quite the story here in Sweden. And a prime example of a bad way of handling PR etc.
    They need to send me a sample of each. I am willing to act as an impartial judge. 
  • Bought a vegan one at the Semle-day yesterday. From the supermarket though, not from a café/bakery. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    "Diabeetus"
    "Sierra Mist"
    "Gushin' Granny"

CBC did a nationwide poll some years back to find out the greatest Canadian of all time. one of our local dj's, Hal Anderson, came in 34th, because of exactly what you just described. 

"The Greatest Canadian" Prank[edit]

Anderson encouraged listeners to vote for him as "The Greatest Canadian" in 2004 as a joke, ultimately placing 34th in the top 50, ahead of William Lyon Mackenzie KingWilfrid LaurierJean ChrétienTecumseh and Pamela Anderson.[7]

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Wound up with another two Semlor today, even if it is the day after the Semleday.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Wound up with another two Semlor today, even if it is the day after the Semleday.

Those two look tastier than the sample you posted above, and apparently one out of one cats agree. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Wound up with another two Semlor today, even if it is the day after the Semleday.

Dat cat is going to blow up like a tick!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Another year. Another (vegan) semla.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Another year. Another (vegan) semla.

That looks delicious…
    Give Peas A Chance…