Options

Melbourne Make Poverty History 17/11/06

2»

Comments

• Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    can somebody pleeeeeeeease send me a copy of that video??? my favorite two bands together is like a dream to me!!!
  • Options
    ***C3*** wrote:
    That was a fantastic performance by ALL!!!

I try and avoid this place as much as possible 'cause there's way too much negativity. A lot of whining etc... what happened to a sense of humour? I thought U Jam was hilarious. Two great singers on the same stage... I just wish I coulda been there. Loved the whole thing.

Peace

corny, but funny! agreed, people should chill out and enjoy the music!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Options
    nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    That was pretty cool. Agree with the lyrics being a bit cheeseball and Bono's ego does seem to get bigger by the minute, but it's for a great cause. Did any one else notice how Bono seemed pissed off the whole time? Maybe he always looks that way, I don't know...
  • Options
    Did Pearl Jam play a whole show or just R.I.T.F.W
    9/24/96 8/25/98 9/5/00 4/25/03 4/26/03 10/2/04 9/28/05 5/20/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 8/2/07 8/5/07 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09 10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/4/10 5/9/10 10/11/13
  • Options
    deep_schismicdeep_schismic Bremen, Germany Posts: 158
    Bono wouldn't be Bono without the CHEESE...i laughed my ass off at 'u jam'...fuckin corny.
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    this board even when people get together for a great cause people have to rag or criticize for some stupid ass reason so what that bono put together some lirics that may not agree with peoples taste back off allready picky assholes ............i like U2 but i would not spend my money to go see them but i will not criticize the man or the band for all that he does for humanity.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Those three MCs were just unbearable.
    And as lame as Bono was with his late entrance, I still enjoyed that collaboration. Matt was awsome.
    and i stare you back
    oh blue eyes, i've seen it
    if just once i could feel love
    oh stare back at me, yeah..
  • Options
    He ya all! This is from the dutch news:D

"U2-singer Bono and the rockgroep Pearl jam have sung together during a air concert in Melbourne unexpected to a duet protest against poverty in the world. In the Australian city annual G20-vergadering in which the 19 largest economies in the world and the European Union come talk at each other to concerning economy and trade, are kept. Bono and Pearl jam sang together Rockin in the Free World and Bono called the concertgangers on to require that of the politicians they tackle the poverty in the world."

Note: it's translated by AltaVisa Babel Fish
  • Options
    Ripped. The quality's a little sketchy. It's a straight rip from the feed. At about 3:25 the levels SHOOT up to crazy territory.

http://download.yousendit.com/BBB969183D17409C
    Baby humpback, baby humpback!
    Down the sewer, down the sewer!
  • Options
    MargoMargo Posts: 256
    Not sure if I am imagining things here, but it seemed to me like there was no chemistry at all between Bono and Eddie. Hartly any eye contact or smiling going on at the stage...
    Amsterdam 1996, Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Dusseldorf 2007, Rotterdam 2009
    London 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Nijmegen 2010, Manchester I & II 2012, Amsterdam I 2012, Stockholm 2012, EV Amsterdam I 2012
  • Options
    Margo wrote:
    Not sure if I am imagining things here, but it seemed to me like there was no chemistry at all between Bono and Eddie. Hartly any eye contact or smiling going on at the stage...

I dont think that two singers really need to have chemistry from 2 different bands. Atleast he suced it up and did it. They were holding hands for a mintue tho
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Why can't a concert like that happen in Canada? And how did it get to be a G20 meeting....wasn't it just G8 last year?

Anyway, I've been proudly sporting my "makepovertyhistory" white wristband for just over a year now...Everyone was like, what the f is that? Now they're all gonna know! Yay! Thank you Bono! Thank you Pearl Jam! Thank you organizers of that concert!! I'm gonna try to get a couple more wristbands next week!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    ***C3*** wrote:
    That was a fantastic performance by ALL!!!

I try and avoid this place as much as possible 'cause there's way too much negativity. A lot of whining etc... what happened to a sense of humour? I thought U Jam was hilarious. Two great singers on the same stage... I just wish I coulda been there. Loved the whole thing.

Peace

You forgot the rule about bono...he can't do anything right...no matter what he does it somehow relates to greed (even if he is playing a benefit to end poverty)...

but seriously...I will never understand the amount of U2 hate here...U2 & Pearl Jam have a lot of the same moral beliefs...and have both stuck up for what the believe in throughout their careers....I guess its just because U2 is a little more flashy and a lot of people are still in a "grunge" state of mind
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    the concert is screening on ch 10 australia at 12pm 2day. i will record it and torrent it for ne1 interested in the next couple of days. i hope to have it up this afternoon.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    its up on youtube already pearl jam absolutely own U2 they were/are in top form and U2 are just laughable.... Edge steals all of Stone and Mike's solo's also!! What with that....

No one is critizing the cause its a great cause but Bono just doesnt do it for me or U2.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    you can't blame em for having Bono come in with the late enterence, he's more popular than pearl jam. It wasn't that bad.

U Jam was pretty funny. The lyrics Bono made were pretty corny though.

And yeah that was cool seeing Mike sing!
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Awesome..
    yes I agree Bono coming late on stage was lame but otherwise..I've given up on U2 (which used to be my fav band) 15+ years ago..about the time Bono started wearing sunglasses all the time..

I like Ed's lyrics though..got to listen to it again but something about waking up at night and his little girl ...he's turning soppy ;)

Mike does sing (normally on Jeff's mike) during RITW on a regular basis...and I believe he did the first solo..certainly sounded like Mike's, but they didn't show it.

And incredibly, I got woken up this morning with the news on XFM mentionning Pearl JAM..in reference to that performance...now they remember they still exist maybe one can hope they'll play some of their music...yeah, right :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Thanks for the rip...but does anyone have a VIDEO download for this.
    I went to the CNN site but it keeps stopping every few seconds...annoying as HELL.

BTW..can we stop all this fuckin negativity and focus on the REASON the bands played....the MESSAGE they were trying to convey.
    Who gives a fuck if Bono was being corny...this is obviously something BOTH bands feel is important so rather than bitching about lyrics and solo's...lets focus on the fact that both bands were trying to do something REALLY positive with this performance ok.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Thanks for the rip...but does anyone have a VIDEO download for this.
    I went to the CNN site but it keeps stopping every few seconds...annoying as HELL.

BTW..can we stop all this fuckin negativity and focus on the REASON the bands played....the MESSAGE they were trying to convey.
    Who gives a fuck if Bono was being corny...this is obviously something BOTH bands feel is important so rather than bitching about lyrics and solo's...lets focus on the fact that both bands were trying to do something REALLY positive with this performance ok.
    call me cynical but I still don't know what those events are supposed to achieve..the Live 8 was just an exercise in self-promotion that if you're very oprimistic 'might' have pushed politicians to make promises they have no intention of keeping (and have already broken)..
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Hey ACCBootlegGoddess, do you have a Ten Thousand Villages store in your area? They sell the "makepovertyhistory" white wristbands for like $2.
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Hey ACCBootlegGoddess, do you have a Ten Thousand Villages store in your area? They sell the "makepovertyhistory" white wristbands for like $2.

Nope...but I've owned one since March of 05. I've also owned a One bracelet since last summer too. :P
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    i have a hd copy on dvd pm me if interested
  • Options
    this board even when people get together for a great cause people have to rag or criticize for some stupid ass reason so what that bono put together some lirics that may not agree with peoples taste back off allready picky assholes ............i like U2 but i would not spend my money to go see them but i will not criticize the man or the band for all that he does for humanity.

Well said.

If PJ are happy to do a song with those guys for a good cause I've got no problem. I'm sure Neil wouldn't have cared one bit that Bono changed some lyrics.
    "this is such a happening tail-pipe of a party"

Adelaide 98; Adelaide 03; Melbourne 03 #2; Brisbane 06 #2; Adelaide 06 #1 & #2; Perth 06; Adelaide 09; Melbourne 09; Gold Coast BDO 14; Adelaide BDO 14
    EV Aus 2011: Adelaide #1 & #2; Canberra
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    pjrvm wrote:
    How about Bono's ego gets a little bigger. A late enterance on stage, that was so lame.
    How can Eddie not think that Bono is just a big joke who is only out for his own career advancement.
    Yes it is nice that these people take the time out to promote stuff like ending poverty etc. etc. but Bono definately tries to exploit it as much as he can. Probably because U2 hasn't written a good song in over 15 years.
    "write it on your t-shirt, write it on your heart"
    what the hell does that even mean. I'm glad Eddie didn't sing those lame ass lyrics.

My thoughts exactly. The first thing that came to mind when I saw Bono make his stage appearance was, "You would think after 25 years of making music and performing, he wouldn't care about making a grand entrance".....
    That was so pathetic, and also the fact her repeated the first two lines of the first verse.

Who wants to bet that during the Hawaii show, they will do another collaboration of RIFW?
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    did they play anything elses?
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,699
    did they play anything elses?

No.