Fender Custom Shop replica of Mike's 1959 (sorry 1960) Strat coming soon

mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
edited January 2021 in The Porch
For serious collectors. Better start saving up
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fender-discovers-mike-mccreadys-fabled-59-strat-is-actually-a-1960-model-during-the-creation-of-new-custom-shop-replica

"Fender discovers Mike McCready’s fabled ’59 Strat is actually a 1960 model during the creation of new Custom Shop replica
By Michael Astley-Brown 2 hours ago

60-piece run of guitars will recreate every scratch, dent and ding on the Pearl Jam guitarist’s prized Stratocaster
 Alongside new 2021 signature models for Jason Isbell, Chrissie Hynde and Ben Gibbard, Fender has announced a Custom Shop replica of one of the most sought-after ’59 Strats, the heavily road-worn model owned by Mike McCready of alt-rock stalwarts Pearl Jam.
…Except it isn’t actually a ’59 at all. During the process of recreating the guitar, Fender Custom Shop’s Vincent Van Trigt discovered that the Strat had actually been constructed in 1960, not 1959 as had long been believed.
Regardless, this 60-piece run of instruments sets out to replicate the look and sound of McCready’s legendary guitar, as heard on the likes of Pearl Jam’s Yellow Ledbetter and Temple of the Dog’s Hunger Strike, right up to Dance of the Clairvoyants from last year’s Gigaton album.
The recreation uses a Relic lacquer finish on two-piece select alder body, teamed with a flat-sawn flame maple neck with 1960 ‘oval C’ profile, and flat-lam rosewood fingerboard with 21 vintage frets.
Custom Josefina hand-wound pickups have been matched to the originals, and feature vintage wiring, along with a treble bleed tone capacitor.
The Custom Shop’s attention to detail is also visible in the three-ply vinyl pickguard, vintage-style synchronized tremolo with Callaham bridge block, vintage-style tuning machines, bone nut, and wing string tree with metal spacer.
As per other Custom Shop replicas, there’s a high asking price – in this case, $15,000, including a deluxe hardshell case, strap, polishing cloth, McCready case candy kit and certificate of authenticity.
The Limited Edition Mike McCready 1960 Stratocaster is available from February 2021. Head over to our round-up of all of 2021’s big Fender releases so far for more news.
McCready isn't the only Seattle rock icon honored with a new guitar this year – Gretsch has paid tribute to Chris Cornell's Black Hole Sun Duo Jet with its 2021 lineup."

225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18

Comments

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Wish they'd mass produce these and the les paul so fans who spend all their money already on merch and albums, and bootlegs, and concert tickets could afford to buy one. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    Ive been playing guitar for about 25 years. I just cant get into any of these remakes, or even the signed guitars. Do you play a signed by the band guitar? And if you don't, isnt that weird? IDK. I am of the opinion all new guitars are made like crap compared to 60s-70s models.

Do yourself a favor, buy a REAL 60s gibson or fender. My '69 Gibson SG is the best purchase I've ever made.
  • JedJed New York City Posts: 1,134
    RS65573 said:
    Ive been playing guitar for about 25 years. I just cant get into any of these remakes, or even the signed guitars. Do you play a signed by the band guitar? And if you don't, isnt that weird? IDK. I am of the opinion all new guitars are made like crap compared to 60s-70s models.

Do yourself a favor, buy a REAL 60s gibson or fender. My '69 Gibson SG is the best purchase I've ever made.
    My Mccready Les Paul recreation from 2016 (Aged, unsigned) happens to be one of the sweetest sounding guitars I've ever heard or played. When I bought it from Wildwood Guitars in Colorado the guys in the shop all said the same. They couldn't believe a replica sounded like that, they said it was the best Les Paul they had ever heard. The stuff these custom shop luthier's are doing is just unbelievable.

I don't think I can afford this one but I really would love this strat!
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    But do you play it? I mean its got all the right nicks and scratches....i wouldnt wanna hurt something worth 15k.
  • You buy this guitar to play, not to hang on a wall.
  • You buy this guitar to play, not to hang on a wall.
    Tell that to people keeping their Benaroya Hall shrinkwrapped.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    I'm a very poor player but I would kill for this, not in my budget unfortunately.
  • I called my salesman.  This might be crazy.
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    pjpjpaul said:
    Wish they'd mass produce these and the les paul so fans who spend all their money already on merch and albums, and bootlegs, and concert tickets could afford to buy one. 
    Sit tight... There will be a more affordable version announced very soon!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited January 2021

The McCready is not on the website yet.

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/series/limited-edition/

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    davidos said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    I like the sound of this, although "more affordable" can mean many things when comparing to $15K!

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    You buy this guitar to play, not to hang on a wall.
    The GrooveFather speaks the TRUTH! If I had 15 sealed Lost Dogs LPs, I would buy one & play the shit out of it! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    So will #60 be the most sought after?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    I guess I need to get an update to this poster... got it hanging in my garage. 😞

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• I ordered one.  It was very difficult to get.  Sold out in less than an hour.  If they offer a non-masterbuilt version I will be annoyed.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    Duster72 said:
    I ordered one.  It was very difficult to get.  Sold out in less than an hour.  If they offer a non-masterbuilt version I will be annoyed.

Congrats! That's awesome! Post some pics when it comes in =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Duster72 said:
    I ordered one.  It was very difficult to get.  Sold out in less than an hour.  If they offer a non-masterbuilt version I will be annoyed.

Damn, that's awesome man. Do you play?
    www.cluthelee.com
    Duster72 said:
    Awesome.  I reached out to a dealer. How did you go about ordering?
  • Duster72 said:

Yeah, I play.  I actually recently commissioned a replica of this guitar and it turned out really well, but when I saw this I knew it would eat me up if I didn't get it.  I am very fortunate to have an awesome job and had the ability to make this happen.  I also just commissioned a guitar inspired by EV's holoflake tele, but I'm not making it a clone because I don't want to own a guitar covered in electrical tape.  :)

To order I just called every FCS Showcase dealer starting with the ones closest to my house until I found a dealer that hadn't already sold their allocation.  Some places had first come first served lists and I was the 3rd or 4th person who called.  I had to call several places to find one that wasn't spoken for.
    Duster72 said:
    Duster72 said:

Yeah, I play.  I actually recently commissioned a replica of this guitar and it turned out really well, but when I saw this I knew it would eat me up if I didn't get it.  I am very fortunate to have an awesome job and had the ability to make this happen.  I also just commissioned a guitar inspired by EV's holoflake tele, but I'm not making it a clone because I don't want to own a guitar covered in electrical tape.  :)

To order I just called every FCS Showcase dealer starting with the ones closest to my house until I found a dealer that hadn't already sold their allocation.  Some places had first come first served lists and I was the 3rd or 4th person who called.  I had to call several places to find one that wasn't spoken for.
    Very cool.  I am probably too late then.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    davidos said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Oh yeah??
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Wow!!  :o

Mike McCready 1960 Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster ($15,000 USD, £13,399, €14,999, $21,999 AUD, ¥1,750,000 JPY) In this first-time collaboration between Fender and Pearl Jam’s lead guitarist Mike McCready, the Fender Custom Shop is honored to re-create this incredible instrument in exact detail, and in doing so a long held secret about the guitar’s lineage was forced to be revealed to its owner: the Strat was actually constructed in 1960, not 1959 as had long been believed. For this limited 60-piece Masterbuilt run, the Custom Shop’s Vincent Van Trigt carefully disassembled the guitar in order to note and measure every detail, curve and scratch - and there are plenty of scratches, thanks to McCready’s exuberant style! The recreation features an ultimate Relic lacquer finish on a two-piece select alder body; a flat-sawn flame maple neck with a 1960 “oval C” profile; and a flat-lam rosewood fingerboard with 21 vintage frets. Custom Josefina hand-wound pickups matched to the originals are connected to a five-way switch and vintage wiring, including a “treble bleed” tone capacitor. Other features include a three-ply vinyl pickguard, vintage-style synchronized tremolo with Callaham bridge block, vintage-style tuning machines, bone nut, and wing string tree with metal spacer. Includes deluxe hardshell case, strap, polishing cloth, McCready case candy kit and certificate of authenticity. Available February 2021.
  • FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 207
    Duster72 said:
    Congratulations on getting a supercool and rare guitar. I'm more of a Les Paul guy and I would of loved one of the Gibson LP 1959 replicas from 2016. I can't complain though I have a Gibson Custom Shop R9 =)  I would definitely buy a non custom shop version of the strat if one was available.
  • Duster72Duster72 Posts: 37
    edited January 2021
    Froggie said:
    Duster72 said:
    Congratulations on getting a supercool and rare guitar. I'm more of a Les Paul guy and I would of loved one of the Gibson LP 1959 replicas from 2016. I can't complain though I have a Gibson Custom Shop R9 =)  I would definitely buy a non custom shop version of the strat if one was available.
    Thanks!  I never thought I would spend this amount of money on a guitar, but the stars aligned on this one.  I almost bought one of the non-aged MMC LPs last year on Reverb, but honestly didn't love the top on it.  If one of the aged ones shows up at a fair price I would consider buying one.  I honestly prefer the late 1960 neck, so I bought a standard 60s Unburst which is very similar in color.  I found one that looks amazing and plays amazing.
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    davidos said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Oh yeah??
    I heard there is a Made in Mexico version coming but there is no info yet... Feb1 is the official release date of the Masterbuilt one so hopefully we will get some info on the MIM then... If it's similar to the high quality EVH Frankie relic (made in mexico) that recently came out, then it should be a worthy replica at a somewhat affordable price (the EVH Frankie is ~$1,500). Fingers crossed.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    davidos said:
    davidos said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Oh yeah??
    I heard there is a Made in Mexico version coming but there is no info yet... Feb1 is the official release date of the Masterbuilt one so hopefully we will get some info on the MIM then... If it's similar to the high quality EVH Frankie relic (made in mexico) that recently came out, then it should be a worthy replica at a somewhat affordable price (the EVH Frankie is ~$1,500). Fingers crossed.
    Very cool.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm hoping so.

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    davidos said:
    davidos said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Oh yeah??
    Cool, thank you, hopefully it happens!  Drooling right now over the pics
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    Been thinking about a MIM Strat for quite some time now. This would be perfect. Hopefully it'll happen. I'm more of a Gibson guy. Have an SG and a Les Paul Standard at the moment.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    edited January 2021

hmm....do i really need two McCready guitars?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
    That LP is a beauty.