Boston Globe Night 1 Review

WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2006/05/25/pearl_jam_rocks_with_power_and_purpose/

Pearl Jam rocks with power and purpose
By Joan Anderman, Globe Staff | May 25, 2006

Remember alternative rock? Intricate arrangements of grungy guitar chords, fuzzily worded but zealously delivered meditations on big problems, acres of corduroy? Such earnest and roiling pleasures have been all but subsumed in the stylish post-punk din, but Pearl Jam is here to remind us just how heady it can be. The band's set for a near-capacity Garden audience last night was front-loaded, energy-wise. That's a nice way of saying Pearl Jam seemed to grow weary by the time mid-set rolled around. Frontman Eddie Vedder had consumed much of his bottle of wine, thanks to copious toastings. He swigged and sang for the fans (``Red Mosquito"), the college graduates (``Unemployable"), and Howard Zinn (``Down"), and conceived a clever combination slug in honor of birthday boy Bob Dylan and the ubiquitous grads (``Forever Young").

They found the spark later, then lost it, and found it again, big-time. But pacing isn't everything, especially with a band renowned for confounding expectations. Pearl Jam began pensively and illogically with ``Release," a veritable dirge, and closed 2 1/2 hours later with Neil Young's ``Rockin' in the Free World." That both were made into anthems is testament to the devotional fervor of the group's ecstatic followers.

How ecstatic are Pearl Jam's followers? Suffice it to say every song was the night's crowd-pleaser -- from ``Cannibal" and ``Love Boat Captain" to ``Jeremy" and ``Better Man." Even the new songs inspired fits, as well they should: politically charged tracks such as ``Life Wasted," ``Comatose," and ``World Wide Suicide" are among Pearl Jam's most powerful work.

Still more compelling than Pearl Jam's brawny tuneage, though, is the band's chemistry. Vedder, guitarists Mike McCready and Stone Gossard, bassist Jeff Ament, and drummer Matt Cameron are in a constant state of interaction. After 15 years they seem to intuitively sense when it's time to pad across the stage and go toe-to-toe with someone, locking eyes and synching axes in the rock 'n' roll equivalent of a jump-start.

An epic version of ``Even Flow" brought Vedder to his knees, literally and figuratively, eventually requiring him to exit for a smoke break. That's when McCready stepped in with an exceptionally long guitar solo and Ament (the secret weapon in this band) spread slabs of soul upon the stiff-riffed arena-rocker, inspiring Vedder to return to the stage with a few dance moves.

Call it old-school, or the new classic rock, or a band resurfacing -- purposefully -- after a decade of artistic and commercial retreat. Pearl Jam is all of the above, and a pleasure to behold.

My Morning Jacket treated early arrivals to a loose-limbed set of hard, haunted rock that was anchored to the planet by frontman Jim James's desert wind of a voice. The songs, too, are giant, howling things of beauty -- even the pop-minded tunes from last year's ``Z," the Kentucky band's latest gem.
"This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    Any body know the new song "Cannibal"?
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2006/05/25/pearl_jam_rocks_with_power_and_purpose/

Pearl Jam rocks with power and purpose
    By Joan Anderman, Globe Staff | May 25, 2006

Remember alternative rock? Intricate arrangements of grungy guitar chords, fuzzily worded but zealously delivered meditations on big problems, acres of corduroy? Such earnest and roiling pleasures have been all but subsumed in the stylish post-punk din, but Pearl Jam is here to remind us just how heady it can be. The band's set for a near-capacity Garden audience last night was front-loaded, energy-wise. That's a nice way of saying Pearl Jam seemed to grow weary by the time mid-set rolled around. Frontman Eddie Vedder had consumed much of his bottle of wine, thanks to copious toastings. He swigged and sang for the fans (``Red Mosquito"), the college graduates (``Unemployable"), and Howard Zinn (``Down"), and conceived a clever combination slug in honor of birthday boy Bob Dylan and the ubiquitous grads (``Forever Young").

They found the spark later, then lost it, and found it again, big-time. But pacing isn't everything, especially with a band renowned for confounding expectations. Pearl Jam began pensively and illogically with ``Release," a veritable dirge, and closed 2 1/2 hours later with Neil Young's ``Rockin' in the Free World." That both were made into anthems is testament to the devotional fervor of the group's ecstatic followers.

How ecstatic are Pearl Jam's followers? Suffice it to say every song was the night's crowd-pleaser -- from ``Cannibal" and ``Love Boat Captain" to ``Jeremy" and ``Better Man." Even the new songs inspired fits, as well they should: politically charged tracks such as ``Life Wasted," ``Comatose," and ``World Wide Suicide" are among Pearl Jam's most powerful work.

Still more compelling than Pearl Jam's brawny tuneage, though, is the band's chemistry. Vedder, guitarists Mike McCready and Stone Gossard, bassist Jeff Ament, and drummer Matt Cameron are in a constant state of interaction. After 15 years they seem to intuitively sense when it's time to pad across the stage and go toe-to-toe with someone, locking eyes and synching axes in the rock 'n' roll equivalent of a jump-start.

An epic version of ``Even Flow" brought Vedder to his knees, literally and figuratively, eventually requiring him to exit for a smoke break. That's when McCready stepped in with an exceptionally long guitar solo and Ament (the secret weapon in this band) spread slabs of soul upon the stiff-riffed arena-rocker, inspiring Vedder to return to the stage with a few dance moves.

Call it old-school, or the new classic rock, or a band resurfacing -- purposefully -- after a decade of artistic and commercial retreat. Pearl Jam is all of the above, and a pleasure to behold.

My Morning Jacket treated early arrivals to a loose-limbed set of hard, haunted rock that was anchored to the planet by frontman Jim James's desert wind of a voice. The songs, too, are giant, howling things of beauty -- even the pop-minded tunes from last year's ``Z," the Kentucky band's latest gem.
    cannibal?

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    near capacity? I thought it was sold out?
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Cannibal? I dunno man, but if there's a new song I wanna hear it.

Maybe the reviewer found a severed hand.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Any body know the new song "Cannibal"?

you know, I'd rather be...I'd rather be with...I'd rather be with a Cannibal!!
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Cannibal? I dunno man, but if there's a new song I wanna hear it.

Maybe the reviewer found a severed hand.

HAHA

wtf is cannibal?

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    BeerBaron wrote:
    The writer of that article could have figured out with some very minimal research that Pearl Jam has no such song ... maybe they mean Comatose?

did they play Animal?

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Alessiana wrote:
    did they play Animal?

yes, I think she was refering to animal. honestly, who do they get to write these things.
  • whatevermanwhateverman Posts: 71
    you know, I'd rather be...I'd rather be with...I'd rather be with a Cannibal!!
    Ha HA thats funny shit! :D
    Rapid City 98
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    I love you guys with the newspaper articles. It's one funny, clueless review after another.
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 380
    The "illogical choice of Release" as an opener also made me say WTF and then smile.
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    One, two, three, four, five against one
    Five, five, against one
    Said one, two, three, four, five against one
    Five, five...five, five...five against one

Torture from you to me
    Appetizers from the street
    I'd rather eat...
    I'd rather eat with...
    I'd rather eat with a cannibal

Why would you wanna hurt me?
    So frightened of your pain...
    I'd rather eat ...
    I'd rather eat with...
    I'd rather eat ...
    I'd rather eat ...

I'd rather eat ...
    I'd rather eat with...
    I'd rather eat ...
    I'd rather eat with...

Said one, two, three, four, five against one
    One, two, three, four, five against one
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Yeah, Cannibal, I like the song almost as much as "Havoc". (Rolling Stone did a review of the Red Rocks show in Denver 95 and referred to "Habit" as "Havoc")
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08