Books you read in 2020?

PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    What about you guys? :glasses:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited December 2020
    That is a really nice selection of books @Pap I wouldn't mind reading quite a few of those myself.

I have books by Kafka but I like the onion head book cover.  Is the happiness book any good? I'm actually thinking of requesting lots of copies of that book for World Book Night next year.

Im sure I've read more than one book this year but this is the one I really enjoyed:

Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    The most boring textbook ever which shall remain nameless.
  • tish said:
    Oh, what are ya studying @tish?
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    That is a really nice selection of books @Pap I wouldn't mind reading quite a few of those myself.

I have books by Kafka but I like the onion head book cover.  Is the happiness book any good? I'm actually thinking of requesting lots of copies of that book for World Book Night next year.

Im sure I've read more than one book this year but this is the one I really enjoyed:

I enjoyed this book too! 
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Pap said:

@pap I read both Friends books too. Both interesting reads about the background behind the show. Hiw was Happiness your route map to inner joy? That looks good. 

I'll have to remember the books I've read. Earlier in the year I caught the train to and from work and spent around 4 hrs a day travelling I read lots of books in that time :) 
    West Coast Dreamgirl said: I have books by Kafka but I like the onion head book cover.  Is the happiness book any good? I'm actually thinking of requesting lots of copies of that book for World Book Night next year.
    Kafka's book was a Matt Cameron's recommendation for World Book Day 2017. :smile:
    I wouldn't say that I'm into self-development/self-motivational books that much, but from the few that I've already read I really like Andy Cope's style of writing. His books are positive and funny. I would recommend you also order one called The Art of Being Brilliant.
    tish said:
    Oh, what are ya studying @tish?
    Yeah, what is it?
    Natashapearljamfan said: How was Happiness your route map to inner joy? That looks good.
    I found it very interesting and it left me a sense of optimism. All of his books are intelligible and though they seem repetitive (topic-wise) at times, they always include some hidden gems in their pages. Also, he presents his positive psychology themes in such a funny way that it is guaranteed to make you laugh.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    edited October 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I keep a list to remind myself what I've been reading and a card file with mini reviews.  Here's this years list:

January

Williams, Brooke:  Open Night

Hoskyns, Barney:  Small Town Talk

February

Heyerdahl, Thor:  Kon-Tiki

Franco, James:  Palo Alto

March

D’Ambrosio, Antonino:  A Heartbeat & a Guitar; Johnny Cash & Making of Bitter Tears

Forester, C. S.:  Beat to Quarters

Forester, C. S.: Midshipman Hornblower

April

Streissguth, Michael:  Ring of Fire; The Johnny Cash Reader

Wilson, Brian:  I am Brian Wilson

May

Szwed, John:  Space is the Place; The Lives and Times of Sun Ra

Allen, James:  As Man Thinketh

June

Haggard, Merle:  Sing Me Back Home

Haggard, Merle:  My House of Memories

Viesturs, Ed:  K2

July

Manning, Richard:  Food’s Frontier

Hentoff, Nat:  Listen to the Stories

Taylor, Aurther:  Notes and Tones

August

Bouton, Jim:  Ball Four (and Five and Six)

September

Krakauer, Jon:  Classic Krakauer

Camus, Albert:  The Stranger

October

Garner, James:  The Garner Files

November

Vieturs, Ed:  The Mountain; My Time on Everest

Berry, Wendell:  Hannah Coulter

December

Hentoff, Nat: At the Jazz Band Ball: Sixty Years on the Jazz Scene

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

^ Wow! :open_mouth: That's such an impressive reading list Brian! :clap:
    Pap said:
    ^ Wow! :open_mouth: That's such an impressive reading list Brian! :clap:

Thanks, Pap.

It's fun to keep track of what I've read and how many books I've read each year.  I've been keeping my reading card file going since 1979.  Looking at my cards, I notice my reading has been pretty consistent over the last 6 years averaging about 23 books a year.  But before that, it was all over the place- I only read 1 book in 1999, but in 2013 I read 42 books.  In the  41 yeas since I started keeping track I've averaged 17 books a year. 

My father got me started off doing the card file years ago and in recent years I started keep a list on my computer as well .  Fun to do if you like that sort of thing!  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Pap said:
    West Coast Dreamgirl said: I have books by Kafka but I like the onion head book cover.  Is the happiness book any good? I'm actually thinking of requesting lots of copies of that book for World Book Night next year.
    Kafka's book was a Matt Cameron's recommendation for World Book Day 2017. :smile:
    I wouldn't say that I'm into self-development/self-motivational books that much, but from the few that I've already read I really like Andy Cope's style of writing. His books are positive and funny. I would recommend you also order one called The Art of Being Brilliant.
    I have heard of that and I'm really interested in reading the books you have mentioned, so thanks @Pap

@Tish Good luck with your masters degree. It's good to learn.

@brianlux I've heard of people cataloguing their books, films, games, music, etc. But cataloguing your reading material sounds really motivational and I guess would give you a good overview on reflection. I love collecting books and at the moment I tend to collect more than I am actually reading. I liketo read gripping books which I cant put down.
    Pap said:
    I have heard of that and I'm really interested in reading the books you have mentioned, so thanks @Pap

@Tish Good luck with your masters degree. It's good to learn.

@brianlux I've heard of people cataloguing their books, films, games, music, etc. But cataloguing your reading material sounds really motivational and I guess would give you a good overview on reflection. I love collecting books and at the moment I tend to collect more than I am actually reading. I liketo read gripping books which I cant put down.

"Motivational" sounds so much better than another term people have used to describe my organizing fetishes... "anal retentive", lol.

As far as collecting more than you are reading, I think that's great!  It's nice to have a selection of books at the ready for you next read, especially if you like a variety of subjects or genres and are never quite sure what you'll be in the mood for next.

My one area that I would call a "true collection"- that is, books that I collect but don't expect to read many of them- are these Golden Guides and Observers Guides.  They're fun and they're really small, so you can have a big collection on a small shelf:

brianlux said: In the  41 yeas since I started keeping track I've averaged 17 books a year. 
    That's a pretty good number! :plus_one:
    edited December 2020

"Motivational" sounds so much better than another term people have used to describe my organizing fetishes... "anal retentive", lol.

> @brianlux :bawling::bawling::bawling:

As far as collecting more than you are reading, I think that's great!  It's nice to have a selection of books at the ready for you next read, especially if you like a variety of subjects or genres and are never quite sure what you'll be in the mood for next.

> Exactly, the Japanese have a word for this but I cant remember what it is!

My one area that I would call a "true collection"- that is, books that I collect but don't expect to read many of them- are these Golden Guides and Observers Guides.  They're fun and they're really small, so you can have a big collection on a small shelf:

> I like your bookcase @brianlux have you ever considered colour coordinating the bottom three shelves into a rainbow ombre?
    I agree with @pap, reading 17 good books a year is really good going :)

> I like your bookcase @brianlux have you ever considered colour coordinating the bottom three shelves into a rainbow ombre?

That's a cool idea, Dreamgirl.  My natural instinct to organize alphabetically (the colorful Golden Guides) or numerically (the mostly white-spined Observers guides) which is a very left-brained way to do things.  In other ways, I'm more right brained and my interests are lean far more to the creative than to logical.  So maybe that blows up the whole left-brain/right-brain theory, lol.

What this photo does show me is that I need move the larger Observers guides to the bottom and move the smaller Golden guides upward.  Let's see how that looks...

Better?

• Yes, this is preferable but I'd love to see a ombre rainbow selection.
  • Did you photochop them or move physical copies? 
    Did you photochop them or move physical copies? 

When I took the first photo and looked at it, seeing the books in a photo led me to think they would looked better with the Observer guides at the bottom, so I physically  re-arranged them.  One on these days I'll try the rainbow effect, but C. is telling me it's time to go walking.  I'm taking the day off and I really don't feel like walking, but we're trying to keep at it every day.  Gotta stay young, ya know?  :lol:

• C is right, go for your walk. I hope you have a lovely time as some fresh air does the world of good. I used to think I was taking the dog out for a nice walk but I'm kind of thinking now I get to have a nice walk too.  Where I am it's bedtime so night night x
    edited December 2020
    brianlux said:

That's a cool idea, Dreamgirl.  My natural instinct to organize alphabetically (the colorful Golden Guides) or numerically (the mostly white-spined Observers guides) which is a very left-brained way to do things.  In other ways, I'm more right brained and my interests are lean far more to the creative than to logical.  So maybe that blows up the whole left-brain/right-brain theory, lol.

What this photo does show me is that I need move the larger Observers guides to the bottom and move the smaller Golden guides upward.  Let's see how that looks...

Better?

This looks more soothing @Brianlux :)
    I like the rainbow effect as I'm quite big on colour therapy these days.
    edited December 2020
    West Coast Dreamgirl said: Where I am it's bedtime so night night x
    I'm about to go to bed too. Sleep tight WCD! :smile:
  • Night @Pap :)