Is it OK to use paper money to promote a cause?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
Give us your thoughts on this recent trend.  Here are some example of how this is being done:
Stamp Money Out of Politics - Pre-inked Desk Stamp  Stamp Stampede 20
Stamping Money 101 - Legally Stamp Dollar Bills

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Is it OK to use paper money to promote a cause? 14 votes

Sure, I have no problem with that.
42% 6 votes
I don't care either way
35% 5 votes
No, never!
21% 3 votes

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    isn't it illegal to deface a note of currency? not that it honestly bothers me, just curious
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited November 2020
    Not that it would bother me but at some point not everything in life has to be about a political statement. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    isn't it illegal to deface a note of currency? not that it honestly bothers me, just curious

That's what I thought. 

What prompted me to ask this is that MoveOn.org, a major adjunct of the Democratic Party was pushing a stamp to use on money via an email I received.  They're selling the stamp that says, "Stamp out money in politics".  If you buy the stamp, you are entered into a drawing to win free Ben and Jerry's ice cream.    This all just seems wrong to me.

Here's a link to the promotion:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Not that it would bother me but at some point not everything in life has to be about a political statement. 
    Name something in life that isn’t political. Maybe your personal choice of furniture or wallpaper,but then t here are worker concerns safe environment good wages etc, what is the furniture made of etc. I can’t think of much that isn’t political one way or another.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Name something in life that isn’t political. Maybe your personal choice of furniture or wallpaper,but then t here are worker concerns safe environment good wages etc, what is the furniture made of etc. I can’t think of much that isn’t political one way or another.

What about creativity?  Although many works of art, book, music, even dance is and can be political, I would argue that unless it is specifically meant to be political, works of art of all kinds are generally of the muse and creative spirit, not politics. 

I wonder if the question of whether or not everything is political might best be addressed by the most opinionated posters who have a college degree or post graduate degree?

Anyone?

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    brianlux said:

If you buy the stamp, you are entered into a drawing to win free Ben and Jerry's ice cream.    

Phish Food? Sign me up.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    brianlux said:
    I wonder if the question of whether or not everything is political might best be addressed by the most opinionated posters who have a college degree or post graduate degree?

Anyone?
    Lol first let’s take a poll on if they have a degree, some college, are well read ...
    Scio me nihil scire

brianlux said:
    static111 said:

What about creativity?  Although many works of art, book, music, even dance is and can be political, I would argue that unless it is specifically meant to be political, works of art of all kinds are generally of the muse and creative spirit, not politics. 
    I think that even the most mundane creative work is shaped in some way by the outside political realm.   The only way to know for sure. Is maybe a Truman show scenario except we just keep him in a closed box with some art supplies and musical instruments, even then the creation would be influenced by the politics of the society that allowed said experiment to happen.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    brianlux said:

Anyone?
    Lol first let’s take a poll on if they have a degree, some college, are well read ...

Sounds like a plan, let's do it!

I like some of what MoveOn.org does but they're pushing this again.  Just seems wrong to me.  Here's what they sent:

Dear fellow MoveOn member,

Ben and Jerry here—the ice cream guys.

The right-wing billionaire Sheldon Adelson just set the all-time record for donating the most money to politicians, plowing an astonishing $183,071,000 into the 2020 elections.1

You read that right: $183 million to elect Republicans.

Now, with the U.S. Senate up for grabs, we can be sure that Adelson and his right-wing billionaire buddies will spend whatever it takes to try to buy off the Senate races in Georgia and ensure that Mitch McConnell remains in charge of the Senate.

We absolutely can't let that happen!

Which is why we're partnering with MoveOn to protest Big Money in politics. We're asking you to join us in rubber-stamping bills with the message, "Stamp Money Out of Politics." It's totally legal, and every stamped bill becomes a mini billboard that is seen by an average of 875 people as it gets passed around.

Just click here, chip in $16 or more, and we'll send you your very own "Stamp Money Out of Politics" rubber stamp! The money will be used to help win in Georgia and flip the Senate, and you'll automatically be entered into a drawing to win free Ben & Jerry's ice cream for a year!

Wow! A free dollar decorator, a chance to fork over more bucks to MoveOn, AND a chance to win free ice cream for a year. Hard to resist!

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I said no for what others already said, its illegal to deface money. Personally I don't really care, but seems like a poor choice. You're basically forcing someone to posses property with your stamped political agenda, I could see it bothering some. 

That being said, a few years ago I wrote "If found please return to (my address)" on about five $1 bills. I got one back in the mail. I mailed him a $5 bill as a reward. 
    mace1229 said:
    I said no for what others already said, its illegal to deface money. Personally I don't really care, but seems like a poor choice. You're basically forcing someone to posses property with your stamped political agenda, I could see it bothering some. 

That being said, a few years ago I wrote "If found please return to (my address)" on about five $1 bills. I got one back in the mail. I mailed him a $5 bill as a reward. 

Haha!  That is a great story! 

I rest my case!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
    static111 said:
    I rest my case!
    There are, of course, exceptions to every rule...
    ... even if it's not truly a rule or law. 

Hmmm, it still seems (mostly) wrong. It's not that I worship money, its more about not liking things being defaced.  I would feel this way even more so if our paper money were more colorful and artistic like (for example) these:
    The 7 coolest currencies in the world and the stories behind them
    20 Weird Banknotes With Bizarre Backstories -ExTravelMoney

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Political or not, people have been doing it for ages. I just don’t care, either way. 

And fuck buying their promotional “stamp” to use. What a waste. 
    edited December 2020
    I say if your going to mess around with money, do it right!
    100 Jimi Hendrix Million Dollar Bill for sale online  eBay

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited December 2020
    Knew this guy growing up. Ran into him in Key West, Flo Rida about 14 or so years ago. I believe he won a counterfeiting suit before the SCOTUS, his argument being how can you counterfeit something that doesn’t exist or is “real?” And, it wasn’t his fault that people were able to pay for things with it and it ended up in circulation.

https://www.sunsetcelebration.org/performers/love22/index.htm

https://images.app.goo.gl/X1H9eG3QW6mBM4C47
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©