Scott The Hoople featuring Mike McCready - NEIL Vol. 1

goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

Neil Young turns 75 glorious years old next week. 

For 50+ years, his music has been a huge part of my life - a source of immense pleasure, comfort, and pleasurable discomfort. 

When I had a major stroke three years ago, I lost my ability to talk, sing, make music. As I found my way back, I turned to the songs I had a best chance at recalling, music somewhere deep in the recesses of what was left of me. The Beatles and Neil were my subterranean lode ... words and chords COULD be unearthed if I tried hard and often enough. 

When this homegrown effort started taking shape, in the bowels of 2020, I consciously swerved away from much of the best known Neil songs to me, and the casual listener. Digging deeper, like I had tried to cough up favorite songs in the ditch of my fucked-up brain. 

Neil is so many things. I wanted to represent some of them. But, I also decided, hey, call it Volume One. There are a thousand more songs...

credits

released November 6, 2020 

CREDITS: 

Performed/recorded/mixed by Scott McCaughey at Dungeon Of Horror, Portland OR. 

Lead guitar (tracks 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 12, 13) by Mike McCready, recorded at Hockeytalkter Studios, Seattle WA. 

Mastered by Kurt Bloch at Strictly Vintage, Seattle. 

Essential companionship by Mary and Gladys.

“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited November 2020
    Track list:

1. Music Arcade
    2. For The Turnstiles *
    3. Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing *
    4. Buffalo Springfield Again *
    5. Sad Movies
    6. Trans Am
    7. Mideast Vacation
    8. Thrasher
    9. Shots *
    10. Almost Always *
    11. Ramada Inn
    12. Barstool Blues *
    13. Light A Candle *

* songs featuring Mike McCready
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Cool!
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited November 2020
    And if you buy anything on Bandcamp on Friday, they waive their fees so the artists get 100% of the cost

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    And if you buy anything on Bandcamp on Friday, they waive their fees so the artists get 100% of the cost

Oh yes! Made the purchase last night. :)

Mike McCready-The Hoople

Mike McCready recently collabed with Scott McCoughey of the Minus 5 to play a few songs as a part of a tribute to Neil Young and his upcoming birthday.  

The soundtrack is available on Thursday, November 12 (Neil Young’s Birthday) and is available for purchase on Bandcamp. 

New message from Scott The Hoople

To those who've not heard from me this year... Probably a relief from the onslaught of music last year -- but I needed it and it seems some of you did as well. Anyway I've reached a weird space where I don't feel the need to PRODUCE, daily. But, fear not, I still have plans to continue being a songwriter/musician in the continuing apocalyptic times.

Early warning: there will be physical product. I don't mean to ask those who've purchased digital sounds to spend more money. But some do get joy and comfort from owning sexy square platters. Like me for instance - I love holding my records! So, these are imminent --

1) 20 years late will see vinyl release of YOUNG FRESH FELLOWS - BECAUSE WE HATE YOU and THE MINUS 5 - LET THE WAR AGAINST MUSIC BEGIN. These are obvious artistic peaks for both bands. Each will be released as double LPs, with the YFF including a full disc of ridiculous unreleased gems.

2) NEIL (Vol. 1) will appear on CD and double LP. It will include two additional songs, inspired by Neil, and written by me.

3) My "birthday" release ROCK & ROLL PARTY 66 has been brilliantly re-mixed, taken from mono into the glorious world of STEREO 66, arriving in vinyl and CD.

Keep an eye on this space -- these should be available for purchase or pre-order in the next month or two.

Aside from these, I've been very sporadically working on the second albums from both THE NO ONES and the LUKE HAINES/PETER BUCK Combo. So both bands will have more songs to choose from when our 2020 tour dates are finally realized!

And also, for tomorrow's Bandcamp Free Friday, check this out -- it's great! johnwesleyharding.bandcamp.com/album/the-good-lyre-songs-of-john-wesley-harding

That is all, and most certainly enough. Thank you all for keeping me alive in 2020!

:) 

Digipak, artwork by Scott The Hoople. Full double album, on one silver saucer. Includes two new songs written by Scott, inspired by Neil!
    Bump!

Includes unlimited streaming of NEIL (Vol. 1) via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
    Sweet! B)

"Just a quick note to say that Scott The Hoople shipped your order and it’s now on its way."
    Bump!

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    demetrios said:

Thanks, D for the update 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan said:
    demetrios said:

Thanks, D for the update 
    Anytime! :) 
    Bump!

Yep folks we're still waiting on those STH Neil (Vol. 1) and STEREO 66 vinyl platters. The pressing plant in Portland melted a couple weeks ago when it was 114 degrees. But they'll be back! In fact I've gotten news that the Young Fresh Fellows and Minus 5 20-year-anniversary double LPs are quite imminent. Hope to have them on sale soon, right here on scottthehoople.bandcamp.com. There will also be a limited number available through Yep Roc, and that trusty label is taking pre-orders right now.

Those of you in the Pacific Northwest, I hope to see y'all at the Wilco shows in October. The Fellows are very honored to be opening all seven of the Oregon/Washington shows! Tickets at wilcoworld.net/shows/

It's o.k. to still wear a mask if you want, you know...

Hey wonderful ME The Hoople followers!

Sorry about that misfired email yesterday. Confusion reigns!

Yes, I'm putting out a batch physical releases this Bandcamp Friday February 4. Here's what's coming:

SAD BOX & Other Hits COMPACT DISC (it's like the May 2020 digital release but it's a disc - with a few re-mixes and one song totally re-recorded, to devastating effect)

NEIL (Vol. 1) Double VINYL - (like the CD but on super chill black vinyl with GATEFOLD cover)

STEREO 66 VINYL -- a rockin' slab of black vinyl if ever there was. The same as the CD, and totally different mix/cover than the original digital download.

Sorry it took so damn long to get the vinyl out. But you know how it goes these days. It took LITERALLY a year from when I sent them out to be pressed.

Keep an eye on the page this Friday. I may add a few very limited older vinyl releases, such as YFF - Topsy Turvy (colored vinyl from late '80s!), etc.

You're all very nice to pay attention and I hope that these items may please ya!

On sale tomorrow. 

On sale now! Scott The Hoople featuring Mike McCready - NEIL Vol. 1 limited edition vinyl. https://scottthehoople.bandcamp.com/album/neil-vol-1 

Bump!

Dear friends --

I just want to say thanks for all your orders. The abused elves in The Dungeon have been working overtime, packin' 'em up while rocking to Yoko, Barrett Whitfield, Chuck Prophet, Yoko, just-mastered LukeHaines/PeterBuck project, NRBQ (man, that DRAGNET album is the best!), No Ones mixes fresh from Norway, and yes, more Yoko!

I must sheepishly admit that we've run out of mailers but they should be here any day. I continually underestimate my musical magnetism, and hopefully will continue to do so.

It means a hell of a lot to me that you folks out in Disco Land go to the trouble to keep the records goin' round and round! Thank you.

Scott