Speaker Advice

GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
I thought I would come to all of you stereo system experts for some speaker advice. After many years of not having a turntable, I decided to start listening to my vinyl again. I have many albums from years ago that have just been sitting on a bookshelf. So, I recently bought a Denon DP 300F turntable, and an Ortofon 2m red cartridge. I know that is not quite an audiofile turntable - but I really wanted a fully automatic belt drive and there were limited choices. So, all I need left to buy right now are speakers. I was thinking of the Kanto Yu6 with Bluetooth and Phono Premp. Is that a good choice? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for under $500/$600. My situation is that I live in a fairly small NYC apartment. I have neighbors on one side -so I will rarely ever crank it up to 11. I don't have anyone below me since the lobby is right under my apartment - so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. So, for my current situation do you all think the Kanto's are a good choice. Thanks for any and all input.

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    For your situation, the Kantos are a good choice. You'll lose fidelity through the Bluetooth but in a small space, it might not matter much.

Solid choice on the turntable too. Good bang for the buck with those Denons.

One other recommendation would be to pick up a headphone amp and a good set of headphones. You will have much better sound quality that way for late night listening and you will hear the details in your albums that you might not hear otherwise. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Thanks so much for your input. I plan to only use the Bluetooth function on the speakers when I listen to my ITunes on my phone. Right now I am just using a little Bose. But I will wire the speakers to the turntable for listening to my vinyl so that should be good for my purposes. I was deciding between the Kanto and Audioengine but the Kanto kept coming up more in my research. Thanks again. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited October 2020
    Many here counseled me when I bought a set for basic listening.  (I could almost go without speakers, almost everything through the cans these days.)
    audio-technica AT-LP 120-USB direct drive tt
    bellari tube phono pre-amp VP130
    audioengine 5+ speakers
    sennheiser headphones
    a nice horsehair brush
    (key) -- onzow zerodust stylus cleaner

Ended up getting a Record Doctor V cleaner that I love, as well.

Can't say if this is better or worse than anyone else's basic setup, but it does very well for my needs, which do not sound that different from yours.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Many here counseled me when I bought a set for basic listening.  (I could almost go without speakers, almost everything through the cans these days.)
    audio-technica AT-LP 120-USB direct drive tt
    bellari tube phono pre-amp VP130
    audioengine 5+ speakers
    sennheiser headphones
    a nice horsehair brush
    (key) -- onzow zerodust stylus cleaner

Ended up getting a Record Doctor V cleaner that I love, as well.

Can't say if this is better or worse than anyone else's basic setup, but it does very well for my needs, which do not sound that different from yours.

Thanks. I was considering that same turntable - but went with the Denon. I really wanted fully automatic because I know when I listen to music when I am working sometimes I can get so focused on work that I likely wouldn't notice the record was over until it had been spinning for a while - so the auto return is something I really wanted. I think I will be happy with the Denon. I upgraded the cartridge, which all of the online reviews said was a must. Thanks for the recommendation for the cleaners - that is a must buy. I will look up the Record Doctor V cleaner.

Yes, I am just looking for a basic setup to listen to my records. So, I think this will fit the bill.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    If you go with the Kantos, I don't think you need the built-in phono preamp of the Yu6's, because if I recall correctly, the Denon model you have is already equipped with a built-in phono preamp.

Any built-in phono preamp on a TT or speaker is going to be much junkier than a separate phono preamp, so why have two in your chain to bypass later when you finally decide to get a dedicated phono preamp, specifically the Bellari tube phono preamp that F Me mentions above. You're a Who fan; you're going to want to add that tube later. Or maybe even right away. 

TL; DR: I think you only need these right now: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/kanto-yu-powered-bookshelf-speakers-black

You're Denon model should plug and play into any powered speakers

I do prefer Audioengines over Kantos, but they are very similar speakers.

I do NOT know how Kantos take to tubes, but my once-somewhat-boomy-and-blasty Audioengines certainly warmed up to the Bellari, to the point at which I no longer consider repairing the vintage analog components that the Bellari and AEs hastily replaced to complement my Dual 1219 to be all that urgent of a matter. (Of course, it does help that I still have an all-analog system in the den.)

I would say if you're looking at Kantos, AEs are also worth listen. It's a damn shame TTL had to pull up stakes on its storefront or else you could do exactly that--and more. Still a great online store, though.

TL; DR: I think you only need these right now (https://www.turntablelab.com/products/kanto-yu-powered-bookshelf-speakers-black), BUT you might also want to listen to these (https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audioengine-a5-powered-speakers-w-bluetooth-black-a5-bt-blk; there are other colors/finishes) or maybe even these (https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audioengine-a2-powered-desktop-speakers-w-bluetooth-black-a2-bt-blk; again, there are other colors/finishes), depending on the size of your apartment/listening space
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    If you go with the Kantos, I don't think you need the built-in phono preamp of the Yu6's, because if I recall correctly, the Denon model you have is already equipped with a built-in phono preamp.

Any built-in phono preamp on a TT or speaker is going to be much junkier than a separate phono preamp, so why have two in your chain to bypass later when you finally decide to get a dedicated phono preamp, specifically the Bellari tube phono preamp that F Me mentions above. You're a Who fan; you're going to want to add that tube later. Or maybe even right away. 

TL; DR: I think you only need these right now: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/kanto-yu-powered-bookshelf-speakers-black

You're Denon model should plug and play into any powered speakers

I do prefer Audioengines over Kantos, but they are very similar speakers.

I do NOT know how Kantos take to tubes, but my once-somewhat-boomy-and-blasty Audioengines certainly warmed up to the Bellari, to the point at which I no longer consider repairing the vintage analog components that the Bellari and AEs hastily replaced to complement my Dual 1219 to be all that urgent of a matter. (Of course, it does help that I still have an all-analog system in the den.)

I would say if you're looking at Kantos, AEs are also worth listen. It's a damn shame TTL had to pull up stakes on its storefront or else you could do exactly that--and more. Still a great online store, though.

TL; DR: I think you only need these right now (https://www.turntablelab.com/products/kanto-yu-powered-bookshelf-speakers-black), BUT you might also want to listen to these (https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audioengine-a5-powered-speakers-w-bluetooth-black-a5-bt-blk; there are other colors/finishes) or maybe even these (https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audioengine-a2-powered-desktop-speakers-w-bluetooth-black-a2-bt-blk; again, there are other colors/finishes), depending on the size of your apartment/listening space
    Thanks, Dan. After I read F Me's post I started looking at the Audioengine a5+ Wireless. I actually think they look better than the Kanto in the wood finish (which is what I want). I know aesthetics is not the most important thing, though. You are right that the Denon TT has a built in preamp. At some point I will want to add nicer components like the dedicated preamp you mentioned so perhaps I should consider the Audioengine a5+. They are a bit more money than the Kantos, but still within my price range.

It is too bad about Turntable Lab. The store in the East Village was about 7 blocks from me. I pass the closed storefront all the time. It sucks. With all of the stereo components I am buying my biggest purchase is actually going to be the piece of furniture I am going to put it all on. I have been slowly replacing my junky furniture with good pieces, and have found a really nice mid-century modern style media center that I plan to order later this week. That piece will set me back, but it will all look really nice when set up - slowly but surely. Thanks for the advice you have given me some good suggestions. I appreciate it.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i thought this was gonna be a guitar amp speaker question. was all prepared to say "the answer is greenbacks. always greenbacks." lol.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2020
    i thought this was gonna be a guitar amp speaker question. was all prepared to say "the answer is greenbacks. always greenbacks." lol.
    Well, my in-laws found my old JMF Spectra 80 in their barn, and unfortunately, I can see daylight through the speaker. So this could still be helpful.

Sucks. I remember a nice bright clean sound out of that one. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    dankind said:
    Well, my in-laws found my old JMF Spectra 80 in their barn, and unfortunately, I can see daylight through the speaker. So this could still be helpful.

Sucks. I remember a nice bright clean sound out of that one. 
    oh man that sucks. sorry to hear. i hate when great sounding equipment is damaged :(

if you are looking for a recommendation you know what i am gonna say tho.

i will give ya hint....

GREEN

BACKS!!

;)
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Thanks to the advice of a few of you here, my Audioengine a5+ speakers should be delivered tomorrow. Once I hook them up to my turntable, I will finally get to listen to my records again. WOOHOO!!!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    That is great to hear, look forward to you enjoying them and posting to the record thread.  
    That is great to hear, look forward to you enjoying them and posting to the record thread.  
    I look forward to it as well. I was thinking about what record I want to listen to first. I haven’t listened to my records in years. I am so glad I still have them all from high school and college. A lot of my friends got rid of their vinyl when they started buying CDs. I’m thinking I may have to listen to the Beatles Red Album first. That was my first real record (outside of Sesame Street, the Electric Company, and the Partridge Family). My parents gave it to me on my 8th birthday. I had to replace that original one since my 8 year old self didn’t take good care of my records. But I replaced it so that may be the one to put on first. 
    Lots of good songs there!
    Well, you inspired me...was going to put on a The Who record (who's next)  and as I was looking for it I thumbed past this badass mofo and could not keep going.  Possibly my favorite two song stretch on any Pearl Jam vinyl ives here.
    Cheers!
    (If you don't have you need to get)

Also....here was what I had to take down before putting on the Third Man

(My six year old loves this, still spins it all of the time.  Was a gift from a friend here.)

Nice. I don’t have that PJ. I will have to get it. I do still have my copy of Who’s Next that I got in the 80s. I probably played that out. I’m sure that as I start listening to my old records I will find some that will need to be replaced. Can’t wait to hook up the speakers. I ended up going with the wood finish ones. 

How is that martini? Looks good. 

Fantastic.  I don't have to run tomorrow so I need to limit to two of these.  A picture of my next/last one.  (If I am good.  I'm only good so often.  10 oz martini glasses are an amazing gift.)

The record doctor machine can fix many of those old records 

Here is the best record that I own.  Perhaps not sonically, but on an enjoyment level.

Are you into FNM at all?

I like FNM but don’t own anything of theirs. I used to live with a boyfriend who was really into them but he took all of his music with him when he moved out. I should reacquaint myself with them. I do have that PT album though. Enjoy that martini. 
    You rock, girl!