Options

Canadians: Vault #10 shipping - Be Careful:

ZodZod Posts: 10,110
I was ordering Vault 10 and noticed 2 shipping options.  UPS Standard and Standard International Shipping.    UPS charges an assload to handle the brokerage (the fee they charge to determine how much tax you owe).   It's the cheaper option this year, so I know lots of people are going to choose it, only to get a large nasty bill when the record gets delivered. 

You can self clear packages from UPS (pick them up somewhere and run them through customs yourself).  That always felt like a pain to me.

I noticed that by adding the deaf charlie vinyl to the order for some reason the international shipping option dropped from 62.99 to 44.75.   That's how I'm going to check it out.   Quite often when it's USPS to Canada Post packages under $100 fly through without customs charges.   Even if they get dinged it's about $15+gst/hst/pst.    A lot better than UPS's $30 or $40 plus tax.

short version:  Fuck UPS (when it comes to international mail).

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227
    You don’t have to wait any extra time. Just call them as soon as you get the tracking number.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    The rules state that Vault vinyl must be ordered separately. I'd take caution if you add anything else to the order, as they'll probably reach out to you and/or cancel it.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    Horse2345 said:
    You don’t have to wait any extra time. Just call them as soon as you get the tracking number.

Doesn't work for me. I have to email them or call them once the item is here in the city so they will send me the UPS forms, so I can take to the local customs department who complete the B15 form. They won't send me the forms of the item is still in the USA or in another province. 

A poster I just picked up shipped via UPS wanted $60 CDN for customs / fees from the USA. Poster was $100. So I self cleared it and only paid $19 dollars at the customs department. 
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Horse2345 said:

Doesn't work for me. I have to email them or call them once the item is here in the city so they will send me the UPS forms, so I can take to the local customs department who complete the B15 form. They won't send me the forms of the item is still in the USA or in another province. 

A poster I just picked up shipped via UPS wanted $60 CDN for customs / fees from the USA. Poster was $100. So I self cleared it and only paid $19 dollars at the customs department. 
    Weird, i’ve self cleared multiple items and never waited.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    If you follow that there’s a good chance you’ll end up paying or have twice as much work because with Covid more of them are just delivering the package and mailing you a bill weeks later. (Fedex has always done this) 
  • Options
    Horse2345 said:
    If you follow that there’s a good chance you’ll end up paying or have twice as much work because with Covid more of them are just delivering the package and mailing you a bill weeks later. (Fedex has always done this) 
    So call them as soon as you get the tracking # and start the process. Fair enough 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    BV84003 said:
    The rules state that Vault vinyl must be ordered separately. I'd take caution if you add anything else to the order, as they'll probably reach out to you and/or cancel it.
    I missed that part.    It's too late now.   I'm sure it'll work out.   I guess the new checkout process isn't stopping people from including it in a larger order.
  • Options
    DKedzieDKedzie Posts: 94
    Nice tip.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Horse2345 said:
    demetrios said:
    Horse2345 said:

For me I have to wait all the time. Once the UPS package is in the city I need to email them for the paper work. Then take it to the customs to complete . Pay the B15 form. Take a snapshot photo of it. Email them it's done. Then get the reply back my package is ready to pick up. 
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    joeembletonjoeembleton Glasgow Posts: 408
    demetrios said:
    Horse2345 said:
    demetrios said:
    Horse2345 said:

For me I have to wait all the time. Once the UPS package is in the city I need to email them for the paper work. Then take it to the customs to complete . Pay the B15 form. Take a snapshot photo of it. Email them it's done. Then get the reply back my package is ready to pick up. 
    WOW, that is one heavily involved process.
  • Options
    vinyl boyvinyl boy Posts: 178
    Just received from 10Club.  Seems like a decent answer to me.  Having it shipped to Canada and willing to pay the extra to avoid all the border extra charges bs 
  • Options
    Thanks for the email 10club.
    Order placed! 
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 493
    vinyl boy said:
    Just received from 10Club.  Seems like a decent answer to me.  Having it shipped to Canada and willing to pay the extra to avoid all the border extra charges bs 
    Still seems bogus when Joe Average can walk to his local shipping outlet and ship something the same weight for way less with tracking and get it to the final destination way faster.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    vinyl boyvinyl boy Posts: 178
    Not saying this new vault will reach this value but I’m not willing to gamble and not spend a little extra on shipping and miss out on having it in my collection 
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 493
    vinyl boy said:
    Not saying this new vault will reach this value but I’m not willing to gamble and not spend a little extra on shipping and miss out on having it in my collection 
    Agreed.  Still doesn't change the fact the shipping is overpriced.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2020
    I bought one and my wife bought one. We were at the show. I want one to listen to and one as a back up in case anything ever goes wrong. 

We will lump it and pay UPS. Last vault cost me 147 CDN. It’s a lot... but far from the most Ive paid for a record. These vaults hold their value.