Ontario student 'heartbroken' after yearbook message honoring grandma replaced with racist slur

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Ontario student 'heartbroken' after yearbook message honouring grandma replaced with a racist slur

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-student-heartbroken-after-yearbook-message-honouring-grandma-replaced-with-racist-slur-1.5143559?cid=sm:trueanthem:ctvnews:post&utm_campaign=trueAnthem: Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR04MrJZI_wagAMHrq9JkallwIH56RSZW2HrsrUkErMwf6_8amWBUCmQl78

You have no heart if you don't feel bad for this kid.  Don't kid yourselves, folks.  Canada is no much better than the US...;
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2020
    What the fuck

Should be noted, though, "racism exists everywhere" isn't the same as Country X = Country Y
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    holy shit. how disgusting. i sincerely hope the students responsible are expelled and the school chooses to have a teacher fucking proof the yearbook prior to publication. jesus. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• This is outrageously callous. Poor kid. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Where oh where do kids learn such hatred? I wonder. 

i feel so badly for the boy. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:

The superintendent of my school district in Massachusetts seems to think it comes from hip hop music; nothing at all to do with, you know, growing up in Massachusetts.

She sent a letter cautioning us of such evil rap lyrics during Black History Month of all times.

Systemic racism at its worst. But it's easy to see why the district was awarded blue ribbon status by Betsy DeVos now. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

The superintendent of my school district in Massachusetts seems to think it comes from hip hop music; nothing at all to do with, you know, growing up in Massachusetts.

She sent a letter cautioning us of such evil rap lyrics during Black History Month of all times.

Systemic racism at its worst. But it's easy to see why the district was awarded blue ribbon status by Betsy DeVos now. 
    Ugh. I thought we already went through that idiocy with Rob Halford, Dee Snyder and I think Marilyn Manson too.

“Blue ribbon” 🙄
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    This was actually fairly local to me... 

The bright side of this story is the amount of support the student is now getting.  Lost in all the shock and awe of these negative stories is the positive turn it can take.  Yes, it certainly shows that a small amount of idiots still exist and that does need to be reported.  But it also shows that when stuff like this happens, the very small amount of racists around here get to see just how small they really are and how few of them exist.  

For the one or two of these clowns who did this, thousands upon thousands around here are taking this personally and want justice. The message:   "NOT in OUR town.  NOT in OUR society."  The people who did this are now fearing being outed.  I'm happy they now live in fear. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    Parksy said:

The bright side of this story is the amount of support the student is now getting.  Lost in all the shock and awe of these negative stories is the positive turn it can take.  Yes, it certainly shows that a small amount of idiots still exist and that does need to be reported.  But it also shows that when stuff like this happens, the very small amount of racists around here get to see just how small they really are and how few of them exist.  

For the one or two of these clowns who did this, thousands upon thousands around here are taking this personally and want justice. The message:   "NOT in OUR town.  NOT in OUR society."  The people who did this are now fearing being outed.  I'm happy they now live in fear. 
    while i can appreciate a good silver lining, the problem is, after the public feelings of warm and fuzziness of rallying around him fades away, this kid will be left with the forever memory that his graduating year was forever tarnished by this overtly disgusting racist act. this will follow him through his whole life. 

i hope they get outed and shamed. what bothers me a lot about stories like these, is that after the initial story, if that story doesn't include the names of the perpetrators, follow up stories don't garner nearly as much attention, and that's sad. it needs to overshadow the original act. this needs to follow these perps as long as it follows the victim. 

no more "he's normally a good boy, it was one mistake" bullshit. i'm tired of this. make an example of these pricks. show society we won't tolerate this stuff for longer than a news cycle; you will be outed, and your life will be ruined. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Parksy said:

while i can appreciate a good silver lining, the problem is, after the public feelings of warm and fuzziness of rallying around him fades away, this kid will be left with the forever memory that his graduating year was forever tarnished by this overtly disgusting racist act. this will follow him through his whole life. 

i hope they get outed and shamed. what bothers me a lot about stories like these, is that after the initial story, if that story doesn't include the names of the perpetrators, follow up stories don't garner nearly as much attention, and that's sad. it needs to overshadow the original act. this needs to follow these perps as long as it follows the victim. 

no more "he's normally a good boy, it was one mistake" bullshit. i'm tired of this. make an example of these pricks. show society we won't tolerate this stuff for longer than a news cycle; you will be outed, and your life will be ruined. 
    100%.  And you'll hear" "we can't out them out of privacy and safety."  Fuck that noise. Put a name and face on it. Let them be shamed. Let businesses ban them. Let them live in fear. 

It will absolutely deter people. What they do, and what they did here is gutless and cowardly. 

Where I hope you're wrong... is that he doesn't allow this to scar him for life.  I hope he sees this as one or two idiots who exposed themselves as racists... which in turn showed him how much support and love he now has from people like us.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Heartbreaking- but also heart warming to see the widespread support being given to Joshua Telemaque.  I hope they catch the culprit and sock it to him or her or them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Personally, I think the Principal and Teacher overseeing the yearbook committee should be terminated...but that will never happen. You wanna stamp out racism, then who the people responsible for that school and yearbook committee responsible...

I worked 25 years in maintenance for school board...99.9% of school board employees are the salt of the earth...

And guess where I started the 3rd job since I was 20. I have been hired by a different board...they are great places to work...they just need to rid themselves of these types of people.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Racism is alive and well in Canada... believe it. For some reason the rest of the world thinks this place is some social haven where everyone is accepted. It is conceivable we are better than some countries, but I have heard the KKK is alive and well in Sundre, Alberta just over an hour from the outskirts of the city. 

White privilege is everywhere here. I know so many people who are anti-immigration. I know white folks here in Calgary who won’t even go to the Northeast quadrant of the city (it’s across the river and up the hill from me). 

My heart goes out to this kid. This should never be allowed to happen.  I agree with meltdown, after the investigation the adults involved here must be held accountable. 
    Racism is alive and well in Canada... believe it. For some reason the rest of the world thinks this place is some social haven where everyone is accepted. It is conceivable we are better than some countries, but I have heard the KKK is alive and well in Sundre, Alberta just over an hour from the outskirts of the city. 

White privilege is everywhere here. I know so many people who are anti-immigration. I know white folks here in Calgary who won’t even go to the Northeast quadrant of the city (it’s across the river and up the hill from me). 

My heart goes out to this kid. This should never be allowed to happen.  I agree with meltdown, after the investigation the adults involved here must be held accountable. 
    i think alberta, saskatchewan and manitoba are the worst. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Is David Suzuki a racist ... he is on record as saying "Canada is full"...
    Of course, he's not.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

100%.  And you'll hear" "we can't out them out of privacy and safety."  Fuck that noise. Put a name and face on it. Let them be shamed. Let businesses ban them. Let them live in fear. 

It will absolutely deter people. What they do, and what they did here is gutless and cowardly. 

Where I hope you're wrong... is that he doesn't allow this to scar him for life.  I hope he sees this as one or two idiots who exposed themselves as racists... which in turn showed him how much support and love he now has from people like us.
    I don’t think putting a target on a minor’s back is the answer. Out their parents by name and have the students’ punishments conditional on efforts from the parents to correct the behavior. It’s just as often ignorance and unfamiliarity than unmitigated hate. If they’re not willing to confront the issue “he’s normally a good boy” doesn’t carry any weight.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    This story is so sad.  WTF is wrong with people.  1) To think it and have it be who you are is the worst  2) To put it in the yearbook for all to see is evil 

I would have a pretty zero-tolerance policy for this.  It's not a error, it was deliberate.  I would:
    1) Fire the teacher or whoever was the adult in charge of editing
    2) Suspend all yearbook staff (the students) immediately and for the duration of the investigation
    3) Expel any student that was involved in that being printed in the yearbook
    4) Expel any student that didn't provide information on who did what if it can be proven later that they did know and lied during the investigation

Sucks for those students not involved, but I would have a plan to get them back on track for school to minimize any impact to those that are innocent.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    This story is so sad.  WTF is wrong with people.  1) To think it and have it be who you are is the worst  2) To put it in the yearbook for all to see is evil 

I would have a pretty zero-tolerance policy for this.  It's not a error, it was deliberate.  I would:
    1) Fire the teacher or whoever was the adult in charge of editing
    2) Suspend all yearbook staff (the students) immediately and for the duration of the investigation
    3) Expel any student that was involved in that being printed in the yearbook
    4) Expel any student that didn't provide information on who did what if it can be proven later that they did know and lied during the investigation

Sucks for those students not involved, but I would have a plan to get them back on track for school to minimize any impact to those that are innocent.  
    Agreed! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....