Options

How many Listeners are on Pearl Jam Radio SiriusXM?

Hi all,  does anyone have any idea how many listeners PJ Radio XM has? 
XM has about 34 million subscribers, but I'm curious how many of these listen to PJ Radio. 
Couldn't find it in the Annual Report or anywhere else. 
Thanks, all.

Comments

• Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Let's do it the hard way. I listen, so that's 1.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,748
    edited October 2020
    Guilty, that’s 2 

the good thing is enough people listen that they haven’t cancelled the channel!!
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,744
    I do. So that's 3.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,156
    I've never seen those type of figures released for SXM, such as how many listeners Stern has. My understanding is that they don't know what channels are selected on the standalone radios although they can track the streaming channels. 
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    SHZA said:
    I've never seen those type of figures released for SXM, such as how many listeners Stern has. My understanding is that they don't know what channels are selected on the standalone radios although they can track the streaming channels. 
    There has to be some mechanism, because they have got rid of some channels in the past. But I'd guess pj radio is one of their top band channels just based on the amount of catalog they can choose from, compared to the limited run channels they do, for bands like gnr and Metallica. 
  • Options
    I can hardly listen anymore. The music is so compressed on Sirius. Trying to jam all those channels without updating the system I think. Everything is tinny.  
    I have a lifetime membership bought in like 08 so it’s paid for itself... but holy it sounds bad. 
  • Options
    I just renewed for $60.00. That's for vehicle and app for 1 year. 
  • Options
    epbadgerepbadger The Bronx, NY Posts: 654
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2020
    I really dont play PJ Radio much at all unless there’s a contest.  I never want to overplay them at this point. 

80s on 8, AltNation, Spectrum, SiriusXMFly, and SiriusChill.   
  • Options
    I can hardly listen anymore. The music is so compressed on Sirius. Trying to jam all those channels without updating the system I think. Everything is tinny.  
    I have a lifetime membership bought in like 08 so it’s paid for itself... but holy it sounds bad. 
    I believe Elon Musk and SpaceX have been contracted to put Sirius/XM's 3rd major satellite into orbit sometime in the near future. Probably in the next 2 years if I had to guess. I'd imagine this would help the quality tremendously. I think the last one was launched in 2011 if I remember correctly? Might even be before that. 

I've found it depends on what device you are listening to, even down to the type of car you drive. I drove a 2011 Mustang for awhile and the way you describe the tinny compression reminds me exactly of the sound that car gave me when I tried to listen to Sirius. In 2018 my mother got a brand new Ford EcoSport with a free year of Sirius and it sounded crystal clear, almost like I was playing a FLAC file off my computer. Other friends and family who have bought higher end car models in the last 5 years seem to have crystal clear audio when listening to Sirius as well. 

In Contrast to that, my father drove a 2005 Ford Expedition (yes we are a Ford Family lol) where he had to purchase a 3rd party unit just so he could listen to Sirius. Worst quality Sirius I have ever heard in a vehicle. You had to use dead air radio channels to catch the signal, it was horrible. 

Thanks to the era of technology we live in, it can only go up from here =)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,744
    I really dont play PJ Radio much at all unless there’s a contest.  I never want to overplay them at this point. 

Other then Pearl Jam Radio I enjoy listening to 1st Wave, Real Jazz, The Tragically Hip Radio & E Street Radio.
  • Options
    DKedzieDKedzie Posts: 94
    Not me
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    demetrios said:

Other then Pearl Jam Radio I enjoy listening to 1st Wave, Real Jazz, The Tragically Hip Radio & E Street Radio.
    Forgot about 1st Wave.  Love that channel. 
  • Options
    I believe Elon Musk and SpaceX have been contracted to put Sirius/XM's 3rd major satellite into orbit sometime in the near future. Probably in the next 2 years if I had to guess. I'd imagine this would help the quality tremendously. I think the last one was launched in 2011 if I remember correctly? Might even be before that. 

I've found it depends on what device you are listening to, even down to the type of car you drive. I drove a 2011 Mustang for awhile and the way you describe the tinny compression reminds me exactly of the sound that car gave me when I tried to listen to Sirius. In 2018 my mother got a brand new Ford EcoSport with a free year of Sirius and it sounded crystal clear, almost like I was playing a FLAC file off my computer. Other friends and family who have bought higher end car models in the last 5 years seem to have crystal clear audio when listening to Sirius as well. 

In Contrast to that, my father drove a 2005 Ford Expedition (yes we are a Ford Family lol) where he had to purchase a 3rd party unit just so he could listen to Sirius. Worst quality Sirius I have ever heard in a vehicle. You had to use dead air radio channels to catch the signal, it was horrible. 

Thanks to the era of technology we live in, it can only go up from here =)
    Fair point. I drive a 2016 Ford F-150 with the Blackberry system. Just doesn’t sound great. It’s paid off and I’m about three years from buying an electric truck so the stereo systems should be better. 
    Having said that my brother drives a BMW (can’t remember what year) X5 and feels the same way I do. 
    My wife has a 2018 Mini Cooper (so also BMW) and I suppose it does sound slightly better. 

That is good info on the satellite upgrades. Part of the problem is that I have a pretty fine HiFi system at home. When you can hear those dynamics and then jump in your truck and play the same songs it just sounds so thin. 
    So talk radio it is. Lol
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,156
    edited October 2020
    demetrios said:

Forgot about 1st Wave.  Love that channel. 
    1st Wave is by far my favorite channel for music. Will also scroll to Alt Nation, Hair Nation, and Lithium. The Van Halen tribute channel this past week has been great. But I probably listen to Mad Dog Sports the most during the week. 
    Post edited by SHZA on