Bill Burr criticizes white women on SNL

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    hedonist said:
    i don't know why, buy i did not like him. not so much what he said. maybe his delivery? maybe the overblown accent? i dunno. i wanted to like him but I came away from him like "meh". 
    That’s how he usually speaks. 

I like him - any smart comedian, actually - who jokes about typically untouchable shit. The Holocaust, cancer, molestation, what have you. It doesn’t offend me.

I’ve heard that some take him and others seriously, forgetting that they’re making JOKES. Better than a lot of what passes as comedy lately. 

I actually wasn't familiar with Burr until I saw this thread.  Yeah, I like that he tackles the "untouchable shit".  I kind of get the feeling he might be like a successor to George Carlin that way.  Yes?  No?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    i don't know why, buy i did not like him. not so much what he said. maybe his delivery? maybe the overblown accent? i dunno. i wanted to like him but I came away from him like "meh". 

I like him - any smart comedian, actually - who jokes about typically untouchable shit. The Holocaust, cancer, molestation, what have you. It doesn’t offend me.

I’ve heard that some take him and others seriously, forgetting that they’re making JOKES. Better than a lot of what passes as comedy lately. 

I actually wasn't familiar with Burr until I saw this thread.  Yeah, I like that he tackles the "untouchable shit".  I kind of get the feeling he might be like a successor to George Carlin that way.  Yes?  No?
    that's how i view him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

In a way, but George had a certain wisdom to his humor.  Burr's getting there.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    mickeyrat said:
    "... so shut up and sit down right next to me and take your talking to."
    That was hilarious. But his whole monologue was average for me. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    His recent interview on Joe Rogan was great. 
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mickeyrat said:
    I think the delivery wasn't spectacular. Thought the material was solid. 
  • hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

Carlin in his later years was insufferable.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,149
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

i saw carlin on his last tour before he died. he was funny, but he was stammering and seemed to rely on note cards on the stool on the stage. not as polished as he was on his hbo specials. but i am happy that i got to see him. carlin was my favorite.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,643
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

i saw carlin on his last tour before he died. he was funny, but he was stammering and seemed to rely on note cards on the stool on the stage. not as polished as he was on his hbo specials. but i am happy that i got to see him. carlin was my favorite.

he was still building and polishing that hr. he didn't do clubs to work shit out first like most comics....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well, he was 71 and had heart problems. Funny how old age can make one a bit weaker, slower, less reliant on memory, etc. 

He gets a pass from me.

i was fortunate to attend one of his first live HBO specials here. Seeing him - and Kinison - are two of my favorite comedic memories. Cried from laughing so hard; that’s the best. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    mickeyrat said:
    Could be.  Felt awkward a bunch.  Maybe lack of a real crowd.  Some of it was really funny though.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,643
    mickeyrat said:
    Could be.  Felt awkward a bunch.  Maybe lack of a real crowd.  Some of it was really funny though.

also he's been off due to corona and has only done a handful of dates. couple the rust with live television. ..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonist said:
    Well, he was 71 and had heart problems. Funny how old age can make one a bit weaker, slower, less reliant on memory, etc. 

He gets a pass from me.

i was fortunate to attend one of his first live HBO specials here. Seeing him - and Kinison - are two of my favorite comedic memories. Cried from laughing so hard; that’s the best. 
    Oh wow you saw vintage Carlin then!  That is when he was on fire. "Rat shit bat shit, you dirty old twat.  69 assholes tied in a knot.  Hurray, lizard shit, FUCK!"
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

I feel that Carlin made his bones on making fun of the dumbed down everyman in America. To me it seems like Burr often tackles things from the perspective of the dumbed down everyman, making fun of himself for it. 
  • ...the nerve... WHERES THE CAMERA -- THE NERVE..!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Why was this thread created?  Bill Burr is a comedian. That's what many comedians do...and Bill Burr is just about the best comedian on planet earth.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Why was this thread created?  Bill Burr is a comedian. That's what many comedians do...and Bill Burr is just about the best comedian on planet earth.
    Because it was something talked about on the internet, that fitted A Moving Train
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"