Sober October

so I know this is a bit late, but I started this about a week ago (slightly earlier than Oct 1). the first I heard of it (expecting collective groan) was through Joe Rogan. He and 3 of his comic buddies do it every year, although Joe is the only one participating this year (the other 3 say 2020 is too fucked up not to be fucked up). But I'm giving it a go. My first weekend was weird. 

there's a song by the Headstones called Smile & Wave, with lyrics that go like this:

Billy's got a PHD and Sara she's a teacher
they love to rock n roll and blow their brains out on the weekend, 
together they have built a world, a lot of it is real, 
we are here to ease them through the parts they can't conceal

I smile and wave

Billy and Sara are actually real people, friends of the band from way back. I relate to the first two lines in a big way. So back to my first weekend. it's odd. Usually I like to get a buzz on and it acts as sort of a "reset" for me that the week is done and on to a new one. This weekend just felt like any other day of the week, except i wasn't sitting at a desk all day. no hangovers, no drinking, no drugs. not even a beer. just a goddamn tasteless near beer. but whatever. my wife asked me if I wanted some no alcohol wine for canadian thanksgiving. i've tried that shit before. it's like gross apple juice. no thanks. i'll stick to water. or gravy. 

anyway, if anyone else is into this, feel free to start now we're only 6 days in. 
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• I did September. Lapsed a few times, but overall I lost 8 pounds and feel better than I have in a long time....good luck.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    edited October 2020

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Been doing that for over two years. Ha.

Weed saves my sanity and helps my body in lieu of pills. Not giving that up. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Good on ya!
    Have done a sober month each of the last two years.  This time is was from late April to late May.  Piece of 🍰.  
    Not being physically addicted I found it no issue to take a month off.  Also, knowing it is only 30 days also made it pretty simple.  I fuck with myself frequently with way more difficult things.  

If it were sober year or sober life....well, I would really need to feel that it was no choice in order to even have a chance at that.

Hopefully this is something you like and can follow through with.  Can't be anything but good for your overall health.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hedonist said:
    Been doing that for over two years. Ha.

Weed saves my sanity and helps my body in lieu of pills. Not giving that up. 
    the fist year rogan and his cronies did it, he continued to smoke weed. the following year the other guys complained he was kind of "cheating" by being allowed to still get fucked up. so now he goes full on sober. 

i'm going full nothing intoxicating, but absolutely understand why some would still need to medicate with weed for sure. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Good on ya!
    Have done a sober month each of the last two years.  This time is was from late April to late May.  Piece of 🍰.  
    Not being physically addicted I found it no issue to take a month off.  Also, knowing it is only 30 days also made it pretty simple.  I fuck with myself frequently with way more difficult things.  

If it were sober year or sober life....well, I would really need to feel that it was no choice in order to even have a chance at that.

Hopefully this is something you like and can follow through with.  Can't be anything but good for your overall health.
    Well, you’re wonderfully masochistic in how you test yourself. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    hedonist said:
    Good on ya!

Big ups to those who make the full commitment, like yourself!

And....yes, I am an idiot!
  • hedonist said:
    Good on ya!

You should see him with the weights, jumper cables and car battery.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Hahaha.
    hedonist said:
    Good on ya!

You should see him with the weights, jumper cables and car battery.
    :no_mouth:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Can't start now as we're 7 days in.  November is out because of Thanksgiving.  December is out because of Christmas.  Jan...New Years.  Feb...my birthday.
    So it looks like I can participate next March.
    mca47 said:
    Can't start now as we're 7 days in.  November is out because of Thanksgiving.  December is out because of Christmas.  Jan...New Years.  Feb...my birthday.
    So it looks like I can participate next March.
    You may have overlooked every non-Irishman’s holiday, St. Patrick’s. 
    day 9 or so and i don't find this challenging at all. yet, anyway. not sure why i failed so many times before when trying to "take a break". i'd still love to sit down with a glass of Crown and a doob, but i am not missing the shit sleeps and hangovers and overeating and general feeling like shit. 

this weekend might be tougher. long weekend. at least there's no family dinner to contend with. my sister would almost certainly drive me to drink. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

well this is fucking boring. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I've actually been doing it as well. It's been quite a bitch to fall asleep, as I'm used to heavy indica before bed. Other than that, not too bad. I don't think I have the desire to try no nut November...
    “No nut November” :rofl:
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    hedonist said:
    Yeah. For reasons that escape me, it's a thing. 
  • hedonist said:
    Yeah. For reasons that escape me, it's a thing. 
    What's the  fucking deal with  this?
    Take the  last pleasure away. Wow
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I've actually been doing it as well. It's been quite a bitch to fall asleep, as I'm used to heavy indica before bed. Other than that, not too bad. I don't think I have the desire to try no nut November...
    i'm used to getting my Crown on, fridays and sometimes saturdays. so this is unchartered territory. i was the first one in bed last night. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    i'm used to getting my Crown on, fridays and sometimes saturdays. so this is unchartered territory. i was the first one in bed last night. 
    Starting no nut November early, eh?

"getting my Crown on" means what I think it means, right? :grin:
    Hobbes said:
    Starting no nut November early, eh?

"getting my Crown on" means what I think it means, right? :grin:
    haha. crown royal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I wish I had such a fun life that I drank so much that I needed a Sober October.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    it really is irrelevant how much one drinks. you can have one beer a week and still do it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it really is irrelevant how much one drinks. you can have one beer a week and still do it. 
    Yeah, I only drink socially so it's not a big deal for me. But I smoke/eat weed everyday these days. If anything it will be nice to reset my tolerance. 
    Yeah, I only drink socially so it's not a big deal for me. But I smoke/eat weed everyday these days. If anything it will be nice to reset my tolerance. 
    don't you think resetting your tolerance would take longer than a month?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

When I came home from the hospital after a week, my tolerance had lowered considerably. Happened every time, actually. And I use a lot of THC daily. 

SC, drinking (or even smoking) a fuckton doesn’t necessarily equate to a great or fun life. 
    hedonist said:
    When I came home from the hospital after a week, my tolerance had lowered considerably. Happened every time, actually. And I use a lot of THC daily. 

SC, drinking (or even smoking) a fuckton doesn’t necessarily equate to a great or fun life. 
    interesting. i would have thought it would take a lot longer than that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Nah, I mean it will never be like the first time again, but anytime I've taken a break I get too high for public when I spark back up. 
    hedonist said:

Great point. In fact, being completely sober is a good time to work on things you have trouble with. I find great comfort in being able to enjoy things without the aid of substances. If we're able to be objective and honest with ourselves, it's a good way to evaluate what really does bring us joy in our lives. Every time I've abstained for awhile, I found myself having thoughts and feelings I'd been neglecting. For me it's good for the soul. 
    hedonist said:

Great point. In fact, being completely sober is a good time to work on things you have trouble with. I find great comfort in being able to enjoy things without the aid of substances. If we're able to be objective and honest with ourselves, it's a good way to evaluate what really does bring us joy in our lives. Every time I've abstained for awhile, I found myself having thoughts and feelings I'd been neglecting. For me it's good for the soul. 
    Not to derail, but when I quit alcohol, I wondered how the hell I would ever enjoy anything again.

Man, was I wrong.