Options

Hear Pearl Jam, Melvins, Blondie Drummers Team Up on Experimental Track

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,807

Plan D project masterminded by long-time Melvins collaborator Toshi Kasai debuts this year with four limited-edition 12-inches

Rock drum heavyweights Matt Cameron, Dale Drover and Clem Burke all appear on a newly released track from Melvins collaborator Toshi Kasai.

Lloyd Bishop/NBCU Photo Bank/NBCUniversal via Getty Images, David Wolff - Patrick/Redferns/Getty Images, Al Pereira/Getty Images

For around 20 years, Toshi Kasai has been a fixture in the world of heavy, offbeat rock. He’s engineered and played guitar and keyboards for the Melvins and various projects in their orbit, along with dozens of other acts. Now he’s launched a solo project, Plan D, built around Melvins drum ace Dale Crover and other giants of rock percussion, including Pearl Jam’s Matt Cameron and Blondie’s Clem Burke.

Plan D finds Kasai melding live drums with triggered analog synths to create dense experimental soundscapes. The results will be heard on four limited-edition 12-inches due out this year from Joyful Noise, as well as in the digital format. The first release, SW — named, like the others, for directions of the compass and featuring treasure-map-style artwork by Mackie Osborne — is out in April and features contributions from Crover, Cameron, Burke, Big Business’ Coady Willis, Qui’s Paul Christensen, former Shins and Modest Mouse drummer Joe Plummer and Troy Zeigler, who has worked with Serj Tankian and Juliette Lewis.

The first track to be revealed from SW, “Golden Voyage,” starts out with tumbling beats blended with ominous synth lines, which become increasingly scrambled as the drumming grows more hectic. Later, the track breaks into a prog-like series of shifting synth-drums passages, as different drummers come to the fore.

“I was listening to a soundcheck take I recorded with Dale on DAT,” Kasai says of the origins of the project in a new teaser video that shows his studio setup with its many synths and pedals. ” I thought the drums themselves [were] singing and I was wondering if I could trigger some other instruments by the individual hit of the drum take and put some notes over it. Around the same time, I was really getting into analog synthesizers.”

He explains how he tried sending the drum audio through a vintage synth before finding a Moog that was better suited to the task.

“Plan D is a musical demonstration built for dimension, duration and dynamics,” Kasai says in a press release. “My long-time desire became real and it’s even better than I planned because of the support from talented, experienced drummers. The unique and individual styles of drumming each tell a different story. It became an experimental, conceptual project. I directed their stories by writing notes on the synthesizer and triggering them by drum hits.”

“Toshi Kasai understands us drummers,” Matt Cameron says of the project in the release. “This amazing collection of drum vignettes is a perfect example of how Toshi hears the music in our rhythmic patterns. I am not sure how he did it, something including MIDI I presume, but none of that matters, Plan D stands on its own as a completely new musical entity and I’m super proud to be a part of it.”

Other renowned drummers will be featured on future volumes in the EP series. In a whiteboard shown in the studio video, we see names such as C. Smith, G. Bissonette and M. Chamberlain, suggesting that we may hear contributions from the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Chad Smith, live and studio veteran Gregg Bissonette and Matt Chamberlain, who has worked with everyone from A Perfect Circle to Bruce Springsteen. For more info on the project, visit Joyful Noise’s website.

Comments

• Options

Toshi Kasai, the legendary recording engineer & producer, has a new project: Plan D. Enlisting the best drummers in the world as his "source material", Plan D is one of the most unique projects in modern music. From his LA studio, Toshi created a complex drum-triggering system that is the catalyst for Plan D. He's spent the last several years luring drummers into his Sound of Sirens studio, and just letting them go nuts behind the kit... Meanwhile Toshi has been behind the board, capturing the signal from each drum hit, and sending that signal to a variety of analog synthesizers. What results is some of the craziest sounding prog-like instrumental music you're likely to ever hear. Plan D is an ongoing project, with four different installments being released throughout 2020. The first part "SW" features the following drummers: Dale Crover (Melvins, Redd Kross, Nirvana, Hew Time) Coady Willis (Big Business, Melvins, The Murder City Devils, Hew Time) Clem Burke (Blondie, Eurythmics) Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden) Joe Plummer (Mister Heavenly, Cold War Kids, The Shins, Hew Time) Paul Christensen (Qui, hepa.Titus) Troy Zeigler (Serj Tankian, Juliette Lewis, Buckethead)

• Options

4xEP Bundle + Digital: $ 65.00 All four 12"s, each limited to 300 copies on colored vinyl. Digital sent early.

Toshi Kasai, the legendary recording engineer & producer, has a new project: Plan D. Enlisting the best drummers in the world as his "source material", Plan D is one of the most unique projects in modern music.

From his LA studio, Toshi created a complex drum-triggering system that is the catalyst for Plan D. He's spent the last several years luring drummers into his Sound of Sirens studio, and just letting them go nuts behind the kit... Meanwhile Toshi has been behind the board, capturing the signal from each drum hit, and sending that signal to a variety of analog synthesizers. What results is some of the craziest sounding prog-like instrumental music you're likely to ever hear.

Plan D is an ongoing project, with four different installments being released throughout 2020. The first part "SW" ships in April, with digital available now, and features the following drummers:

Dale Crover (Melvins, Redd Kross, Nirvana, Hew Time)
    Coady Willis (Big Business, Melvins, The Murder City Devils, Hew Time)
    Clem Burke (Blondie, Eurythmics)
    Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden)
    Joe Plummer (Mister Heavenly, Cold War Kids, The Shins, Hew Time)
    Paul Christensen (Qui, hepa.Titus)
    Troy Zeigler (Serj Tankian, Juliette Lewis, Buckethead)

More amazing drummers will be featured in the successive volumes of Plan D.

• Options
    "Toshi Kasai understands us drummers. This amazing collection of drum vignettes is a perfect example of how Toshi hears the music in our rhythmic patterns. I am not sure how he did it, something including MIDI I presume, but none of that matters-Plan D stands on its own as a completely new musical entity and I’m super proud to be a part of it" - Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden)
  • Options
    Sold out!
  • Options
    DW139059DW139059 Posts: 353
    Looks like now available in black vinyl... :wink:
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Greenville '16, Columbia '16
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    DW139059 said:
    Looks like now available in black vinyl... :wink:
    Thanks! 
  • Options
    Thank you for heads up in the first place!  :peace:
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    DW139059 said:
    Thank you for heads up in the first place!  :peace:

• Options

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,602
    demetrios said:

Pretty sure this is not related to the Plan D stuff with Toshi Kasai.
  • Options
    kramer73 said:
    demetrios said:

Pretty sure this is not related to the Plan D stuff with Toshi Kasai.

D'oh! It was around the same time he was doing the Plan D stuff with Dale Crover & Toshi Kasai.

Hello! Last spring I recorded some new songs with Buzz Osborne @realkingbuzzo Steven McDonald @stevenmcdonald Dale Crover @drcrover Toshi Kasai @toshikasaimusic and Taylor Hawkins for a new solo album. Here is one song we recorded (not featuring Taylor) called Down the Middle. Video by Josh Graham @theboilingsea Full video in bio! 🙏

Matt Cameron - Down The Middle (Official Lyric Video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLIcgZhskfc

• Options
    The second Plan D EP is now available.  NE.  However, looks like a color run of 300 is no longer an option.  Also, they're not showing who's on the NE EP.  That I can find...  :i_dunno:

Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Nashville '22