Options

OTDIYPJH (On This Day In Your Pearl Jam History)

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
so, today is the 15th anniversary of my third pearl jam show, September 8, 2005, at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. It was technically their first time in the Peg, although their second time in Manitoba. The first time in Manitoba, if you recall, was in 1993 for Sun/Mudfest, but it was at Gimli Motorsport Park. The tour must have originally been routed through Winnipeg, however, as the tour shirt i have of the Canadian tour lists Winnipeg as one of the dates. 

Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread that is dedicated to the moments anyone wishes to share about their own personal Pearl Jam history, but just one catch: it has to be posted on the anniversary of the actual day. 

At this show, I'm not sure if I was the only one, probably not, but being one of Neil Young's hometowns, and it having taken place a few months after Neil had to cancel his performance at the Juno's the previous spring, and he said "I owe you, Winnipeg" in a statement, I thought it was highly possible he'd show up to play a couple of his songs with the band or even a Neil Jam song or two. So when Ed started talking about Neil, without mentioning his name for what seemed like forever, I'm sure most in the room knew who he was referring to, it felt like a buzz was taking over the crowd. And then, he introduced a song they wrote at Neil's, Small Town. I felt the air get sucked out of the room. Maybe it was just me, but that's how I felt at that moment. 

It quickly got back into pace after he introduced and brought on stage "Smile Kim", and then played two Neil songs, Fuckin' Up and Rockin'. And of course, the rest of the show was amazing. (although Smile could have used a bit more rehearsal; even Ed mentioned they weren't sure if they knew it-kudos to them for playing a request without really knowing it). 

what's your OTDIYPJH?
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    edited September 2020
    Paris sept  11 in a couple  days time

I had a perforated ear drum standing in the  street at 5am waiting for my tour buddy to pick me up for the airport.
    With it being sept  11th we were nervous to fly.
    Got on the plane and  blood was going down  my throat from my ear pain was immense. 
    Fast forward we arrive at the bercy in paris to find our hotel was nowhere near. So we booked into the honeymoon suite that was the only room left. Me and  simon used a credit  card and  threw caution to the wind.
    We stood on a balcony  overlooking the venue and the  crowd gathering. 
    The whole day and support band i couldnt hear a thing. Sitting on the floor of the bercy speaking  to 3 polish sisters the master / slave music  starts
     I stand up my ears clear and i can hear.
    Gig was great  
     My lasting  memory  was seeing simon slow dancing with the polish girls to parachutes. 
    Magical. 
    And we spent 2 hours in that very expensive  suite.   As we stayed out all night  with fans in a bar watching pj on a screen. We had to be gone by 6 am to get to the airport. 
    Im so glad i lived whilst  i could. 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Paris sept  11 in a couple  days time

I had a perforated ear drum standing in the  street at 5am waiting for my tour buddy to pick me up for the airport.
    With it being sept  11th we were nervous to fly.
    Got on the plane and  blood was going down  my throat from my ear pain was immense. 
    Fast forward we arrive at the bercy in paris to find our hotel was nowhere near. So we booked into the honeymoon suite that was the only room left. Me and  simon used a credit  card and  threw caution to the wind.
    We stood on a balcony  overlooking the venue and the  crowd gathering. 
    The whole day and support band i couldnt hear a thing. Sitting on the floor of the beecy speaking 3 polish sisters the master / slave music  starts
     I stand up my ears clear and i can hear.
    Gig was great  
     My lasting  memory  was seeing simon slow dancing with the polish girls to parachutes. 
    Magical. 
    And we spent 2 hours in that very expensive  suite.   As we stayed out all night  with fans in a bar watching pj on a screen. We had to be gone by 6 am to get to the airport. 
    Im so glad i lived whilst  i could. 
    for some reason European show stories are always so movie-sounding to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I always think  U.S. ones are. Isnt it a strange thing as kids we here  would see America as like the movies.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I always think  U.S. ones are. Isnt it a strange thing as kids we here  would see America as like the movies.
    and that's how i view europe. i guess it's the places we haven't been....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    edited September 2020
    True  and movies either came from here or there. 
    I have more on this day to come .
    I have a birthday one. July  though. 
    And one in may.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    9/11 will have some big memories with 2 big shows in the bands career (MSG in 1998 and Toronto in 2011) as well as the aforementioned Paris show and the little gem in Kitchener in 2005

• Options
    Thanks for this thread im now stoned watching paris bercy clips. That  set list.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    cardosocardoso Porto Alegre-BR Posts: 1,461
    nice post!

First: Porto Alegre, Brasil 28.11.2005 ........... Next:  St. Paul 2, USA 02.09.2023
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    Some big shows for me during these September days:
    98 run of east Rutherford 9/8 and msg on 9/10 and 9/11.  
    Kitchener, Canada 9/11/05
    toronto 9/11/11
    2000 run of Camden 9/1 and 9/2 and Columbia, Maryland 9/4. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I remember this segment on Donny’s old podcast All That’s Sacred! Had the slowed down voice. You guys remember that? Haha! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I remember this segment on Donny’s old podcast All That’s Sacred! Had the slowed down voice. You guys remember that? Haha! 
    i never heard it. thought i had an original idea! lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    mcgruff10 said:
    toronto 9/11/11
    Don’t forget 9/29/96!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    toronto 9/11/11
    Don’t forget 9/29/96!
    That’s right!!!! Where it all began.  :)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,562
    Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of my first show. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841
    edited September 2020
    This show was great. I can't believe it was over 20 years ago. $23.00 ticket. However, what I remember most about this show is what happened after. I was there with my sister and a good friend of mine. We had lawn seats. My friend got really intoxicated. At some point towards the end of the show he wandered away from us. I figured that he would come back to our spot by the time the show ended, but no sign of him. I don't think I had a cell phone at that time, and I am sure he didn't. So, no way to call him. My sister and I waited and waited. Finally, we decided to go walk around and look for him. The venue is surrounded by woods and it is dark. Again, no cell phone with flashlight. We thought maybe he would go to the car, so we got there, and still no sign of him. We looked for him for about 2 hours. My sister was getting pissed and wanted to leave. I kept convincing her to stay. But finally, I agreed and we left him there. I did reach him the next day. Apparently, he passed out somewhere near the wooded area. When he got up he realized the show was long over. He couldn't find us. He had to walk a long way to a gas station in the middle of the night and call a friend of his to pick him up. I remember feeling really bad for leaving him there, and was also worried that something bad happened to him. I was glad he was ok, but serves him right that we left him there. I still give him shit about it to this day - we are still good friends. I should remind him that this happened 22 years ago today =)
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493

Friday, 29 September, 6 friends we took the night train to Athens..we had beers, our stuff, everything..we didn’t sleep more than 2 hours..

30 September, arrive at Athens about 8 in the morning and we went to the hotel we had booked..friend waiting over there already..shower, something to eat and ready for the venue..

15 years we were waiting for this and finally the time has come..lights down, Master/Slave on the speakers and I can see so many people cry..me too..

The first notes of Go..nothing would be the same again..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Beautiful 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Beautiful 
    Thank you mate!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options

February 2015..Ioanna, great friend from Athens was in my town for the Mark Lanegan show..next day we had a lunch and suddenly shee said, ‘’come on malaka, let’s go to Buenos Aires to see them!!’’..

‘’Have you lost it??..who you think we are??..billionairs??..’’

But somehow we made it down there..to the rock’n’roll city!!!..best pj party ever(oh the guys from Peru, God bless you), best crowd, best security..they ask for cigarette every time I ask them water, cool guys!!!

The band starts with Pendulum and I’m watching four-five thousand people jumb up and down..said to my self ‘’ok, here we are’’..Mind your manners, can’t believe what I’m witness, the guys from Brazil try to keep me in my foot!!..Do the evolution..hell!!!..it’s another thing to watching this on Youtube and another to live it..the band is on another level, they are like kids..the people around me was so protected, never felt danger..one of my dreams came true..thank you Ioanna..

‘’Have you lost it??’’

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:

February 2015..Ioanna, great friend from Athens was in my town for the Mark Lanegan show..next day we had a lunch and suddenly shee said, ‘’come on malaka, let’s go to Buenos Aires to see them!!’’..

But somehow we made it down there..to the rock’n’roll city!!!..best pj party ever(oh the guys from Peru, God bless you), best crowd, best security..they ask for cigarette every time I ask them water, cool guys!!!

The band starts with Pendulum and I’m watching four-five thousand people jumb up and down..said to my self ‘’ok, here we are’’..Mind your manners, can’t believe what I’m witness, the guys from Brazil try to keep me in my foot!!..Do the evolution..hell!!!..it’s another thing to watching this on Youtube and another to live it..the band is on another level, they are like kids..the people around me was so protected, never felt danger..one of my dreams came true..thank you Ioanna..

‘’Have you lost it??’’

"No,you found it!"
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    23scidoo said:

‘’Have you lost it??’’

"No,you found it!"
    23scidoo said:

‘’Have you lost it??’’

"No,you found it!"
    Hahaha...
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:

‘’Have you lost it??’’

"No,you found it!"
    23scidoo said:

‘’Have you lost it??’’

"No,you found it!"
    Hahaha...
    Awesome story, what an amazing experience 23scidoo. So glad you decided to go against your first thought!! 
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:

‘’Have you lost it??’’

"No,you found it!"
    23scidoo said:

‘’Have you lost it??’’

"No,you found it!"
    Hahaha...
    Awesome story, what an amazing experience 23scidoo. So glad you decided to go against your first thought!! 

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,525
    9/11 will have some big memories with 2 big shows in the bands career (MSG in 1998 and Toronto in 2011) as well as the aforementioned Paris show and the little gem in Kitchener in 2005

I was at 3/4 of those bad boys. Only missed MSG.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766
    Toronto was some marathon with ritfw with Neil young. It just kept going. I could see MC just about destroyed at the end. It's like some big rock and roll dream.