Options

Advice for young kids for show/festival... anyone have experience?

It looks like we will be travelling to Europe next summer and looking at either seeing a show in Frankfurt, Copenhagen or Paris Lollapalooza. Has anyone taken young kids to shows or festivals? Likely if we did paris we wouldn't go for that long before PJ, but certainly stay until they are done. I worry about the heat, the crowds, visibility/engagement for them at the festival. My kids will be 6.5 and 3.5 years old. Which would you recommend? Perhaps neither? Any advice would be great. Both kids like music and will listen to PJ with me. 

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    vwelchvwelch Posts: 9
    I took my son to O2 London 2018 when he was 6 and got good seats as I think you have to be 16 to be in standing area? Anyway, gave him ear defenders to wear. He loved it and even got a wave and a tambourine from Ed. I had one very happy boy 👦🏻 
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Leave your kids at home.
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited September 2020

Hire a baby sitter.

Do you want me smoking marijuana throughout the whole show while sitting next to your family ?

Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    joeembletonjoeembleton Glasgow Posts: 408
    I'd definitely stick to a seated gig for the little ones. At a festival you would need to stand at the very back to avoid crush and regardless at some point you will find yourself late in the evening in a field when it is dark and cold. The exodus from a field is less controlled and you still have to find your car in a field in the dark with two tired and cranky kids. The facilities at a bricks and mortar venue are much better suited for younger children. Anyone who tells you gigs are not for children are just people you do not want to speak to. PJ is a family band and you should absolutely take them if you can, they will remember it forever. Trust me I know. 

It is not a playground and you will see some mild debauchery but if a person finds themselves such a slave to smoking marijuana that they cannot stop doing it in front of children then simply make a discrete comment to security and then quietly watch them be ejected. You will be in a seat so they will be easy to point out.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Anyone who tells you gigs are not for children are just people you do not want to speak to.

:lol:

This is where we are at?
    If you don't think a rock concert is for children I won't want to speak to you.  :rofl:
    :angry:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Anyone who tells you gigs are not for children are just people you do not want to speak to.

:lol:

This is where we are at?
    If you don't think a rock concert is for children I won't want to speak to you.  :rofl:
    :angry:

In this case yes. Why would you want to speak to someone for advice about taking kids to a gig if they do not think gigs are place for kids? 

Your apparent interpretation that this was a general comment for everyone is simply idiotic.  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited September 2020
    Right, my comment apparent interpretation is idiotic.

:loser:
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Indeed it was. Glad we agree.  =)
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    It's up to you but I wouldn't bring my kids that age to a Rock Concert , especially a Festival.

And, if I did bring my kids  I wouldn't go to Security when someone is smoking a joint. Its a Rock concert and I know that is  going to happen. People smoking a joint just might be one reason not bring kids of that age? 
  • Options
    I’ve taken my two to festivals since they were 10 months old. As long as you are prepared to stand towards the back and have stuff to keep them entertained if they get bored then it’s absolutely fine.

Yes there’s usually plenty of drunk people about but normally everyone is really respectful and my kids have always enjoyed it
    Leeds 06
    Wembley 07
    Shepherds Bush
    Manchester
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Hi there, I've taken mine to several shows and festivals, and it is TOTALLY DO-ABLE.  The 4 essential keys to doing it well are:

1. Proper hearing protection: noise-cancelling headphones that fit your kids heads and cancel out loud sounds. Pretty cheap online (last I looked still under $20.00/each; I like Peltor brand). Get one for each kid. Let them decorate them.

2. TEST RUN taking them to a show. Once shows get up and going again, wherever you live if there's a free outdoor show, or a cheap show you don't care too much about, bring your kids and headphones and see how they do with keeping them on and whether they are ok being at a show.  If you're going to an evening concert, how do they do when it's bedtime? Mine when they were 5 and under fell asleep as long as they had headphones and a reclining stroller, which meant we had to be in a back row of seats in a theater/arena.  We found as long as we checked ahead, everywhere worked with us on being able to let them sleep and it's important to be close to an exit in case they melt down and you have to go.  But better if you test run them at shows before a show you really care about so you know if they're likely to melt down.

3. Adequate things to occupy them if they're not into the music.  One of mine loved people watching and lights and the music, so we didn't have to bring much to occupy her.  The other really needed age-appropriate show-appropriate things, like bubbles, coloring books, or older maybe letting them play games on a phone.

4. A plan for bedtime if you'll be out after bedtime. Like I said above, ours were out cold if they had headphones & a reclining stroller. But if yours will get sleepy and cranky, either plan to leave at bedtime or know how they can be soothed. And still have a plan to leave if it doesn't work.

Also for festivals, bring a blanket or chairs for everyone and be ok with being on the outer back edges or sides on the grass. Taking kids up close is a no no as far as I'm concerned unless you have connections and can be IN FRONT of the barricade, which I did once with my kid at Coachella, but that's only cuz we had a band pass.  It gets too crowded, too crazy, and they can't see anything if it's a big festival or crowded in front.  Have a way to relax on the sides and be ok with that if you're bringing kids.

Hope that's helpful, let us know how it goes when concerts start up and you go!