Any Powderfinger fans out there?

Comments

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Too short to the point of being a big disappointment! I know why they did it, maybe they’re testing the waters, but cmon, 40mins?? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    PS what was Haug doing with that hair!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Loved hearing Powderfinger. It's great to see they keep increasing their goal of raising money it started off at a goal of $60,000 and the new goal is $350,000,  they have raised an amazing $325, 000. Well done to Powderfinger and their fans, this money will help so many struggling people in the music industry. 

Bernard is definitely sounding great we saw him last year for a charity benefit in Sydney with Paul Dempsey, Tim Rogers and Phil Jamison. Bernard was awesome I can't recommend enough to see Bernard if he's doing other projects he's very talented. 
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    TakeTakes me back to the great days of 90's with nothing but live music a t shirt & ringing ears. 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
    Their one night lonely set is available for purchase on iTunes 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    I might go revisit a couple of the albums I didn’t give much love back in the day, including Dream Days and Golden Rule. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Powderfinger will release a new album of unreleased songs in 2020

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/music-news/powderfinger-new-album-2020/12605624

Australian rock icons Powderfinger have revealed that they are set to release an album of unheard material later this year in an interview with Double J.

Speaking to Caz Tran, the band's guitarist Darren Middleton and drummer Jon Coghill confirmed they are opening their vaults and pulling out some of their best shelved material.

"We were in putting together Odyssey Number Five 20th anniversary release and we went back and found like 50 songs that we had never released," Coghill says. "And we've got the 10 best, we think.

"There's gonna be a new album this year at some stage. New songs. No one's heard any of them. And it sounds pretty good to us. It's been put together really well."

The pair confirmed that the first single from the record is called 'Day By Day' and will be out on Friday 18 September.

It was in cobbling together the 20th anniversary reissue of Odyssey Number Five, this week's Classic Album on Double J, that the band realised the quality of the shelved material.

"We trawled through our hard drives and went, 'This is actually a pretty good bunch of songs here,'" Middleton says.

"'Maybe we should do more than just put them out as extras. Maybe we should do something with it. See if anyone's interested in listening'."

The band assure fans that the final product stands up to the rest of their material. The songs just didn't work for the band at the time.

"It's really good!" Middleton says.

"It's probably our best album yet," Coghill laughs.

"Essentially what you're going to hear is the band spanning about 10 years, with songs that for one reason or another just didn't make the cut at the time, or just didn't suit the purposes of whatever we were doing," Middleton says.

Songs from the album stretch back to the era of their acclaimed third album Internationalist.

"I think the earliest one on this album would probably be from 1998. So that's as far back as it goes.

"It's funny, I was telling a friend of mine about it. 'We might have a new album coming out'.

"He's like, 'What? You recorded some stuff now?' I said, 'No, it's from back when we were kind of cutting it, you know, when we were hitting our straps'. He's like, 'This is gonna be great'."

It won't be a scratchy collection of demos, as the band brought in the pros to make sure it all works together cohesively.

"We had Nick DiDia [who produced four of Powderfinger's biggest albums] come on board again," Middleton says.

"It wasn't that much of a mess, but it certainly did need to be looked at with outside ears and with someone who could sort of tie it all together.

"It's really good! Surprisingly good!"

While we won't have to wait long for some unheard Powderfinger tracks, fans shouldn't bank on the chance to see the band live any time soon.

"There's no plans to do any more live lockdown videos or record any new songs or write any new songs together," Middleton says.

"But, things change. Your views, thoughts and feelings and maybe even some of your memories change. Life's short, we'll wait and see what happens. But there's absolutely no plans to record new material."

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Yay thanks for posting. I'm so excited. Only a few weeks away until the first song drops.  =)
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    That’s exciting! Can’t wait 
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Can't wait for the *new tunes and am ecstatic that I'll finally be able to own Odyssey Number Five on vinyl! (shipping from Australia was not cheap, though)
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    Did I hear they were playing the AFL Grand Final?? Or was that just rumour? The game being in QLD now of course. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    I'm enjoying the remastered Odessey Number Five  =)
    edited September 2020
    Did I hear they were playing the AFL Grand Final?? Or was that just rumour? The game being in QLD now of course. 
    They’ve squashed these rumours, stating that while humbled to be asked, they’d prefer the opportunity go to more active musicians 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Super stoked about the double disc of new old stuff! Thinking about ordering the deluxe ON5, but I already have a good deal of those extras from 45s I’ve picked up over the last 20 years and I’m trying to save for the Smashing Pumpkins Machina reissue! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    The 'new' single Day By Day is bloody brilliant!

https://youtu.be/4Q7y5mIPAPg

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

It is! I can't wait for the album  =)
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    goldrush said:

Wow, that is just great! As crappy as 2020 has been, at least we get new Powderfinger!
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24

‘Unreleased’ comprises a collection of previously unheard and unreleased tracks recorded at the peak of the bands’ career and spans the years 1998 – 2010. Located on various hard drives and tapes hidden in the depths of the bands archives, they discovered around 50 unreleased songs whilst compiling the 20th anniversary deluxe edition of ‘Odyssey Number Five’. The band have selected what they feel could be some of their best shelved material for ‘Unreleased’ in 10 songs which for one reason or another just didn’t make an album cut or didn’t suit the purposes of what they were doing at the time.

1. DAY BY DAY

2. DAYBREAK

3. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

4. DIAMOND RING

5. SAY IT SO I KNOW

6. LOU DOIMAND

7. I DON’T WANT TO BE YOUR PROBLEM

8. RULE OF THUMB

9. HAPPY

10. WRECKING BALL

(Tim Rogers)
    I'm looking forward to this album 😊
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    goldrush said:

Beautiful album cover!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    New single from the 'Unreleased' album - Daybreak

https://youtu.be/iXXTuO1-lp8

"Ten years after walking off stage together for the last time I remember the night so well. It still gives me goosebumps when I recall leaving the small stage set up in the middle of the audience. I remember walking through the crowd and people giving hi-fives, patting us on the back and saying thank you. I loved standing at the front of the stage with the band and spending more time than ever saying goodbye. It was an emotional end to our career.

Sharing new tracks now that we kept or have found with the band has been a highlight of my year personally and a great way for Powderfinger to re-connect with each other and our fans. Releasing our last ever recorded song 'Daybreak' on the anniversary of our final show seems like a fitting way to say thank you for the years of support our fans gave us. 

Thank you.

Our new album Unreleased, arrives on Friday November 27 and features previous track ‘Day By Day’, 'Daybreak' as well as other currently unheard recordings. You can pre-order Unreleased hereand listen to ‘Daybreak’ here.  

Cheers from all the Fingers.. 

J.C"

(Tim Rogers)
    Pretty excited about Unreleased! Day By Day fits right into Vulture Street perfectly! Haven’t heard the latest one, going to wait until it’s released. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    I really like both sings and can't wait for Unreleased too!!!  =)
    Pretty excited about Unreleased! Day By Day fits right into Vulture Street perfectly! Haven’t heard the latest one, going to wait until it’s released. 
    You’ve got more willpower than me! As soon as I saw the Daybreak email I couldn’t click on the link fast enough!
    Really looking forward to the rest of Unreleased.

(Tim Rogers)
    Just waiting for Amazon to stock the physical release here in the US - if that doesn't happen, I won't be able to hold out for long after the 27th!
    www.cluthelee.com
    goldrush said:
    You’ve got more willpower than me! As soon as I saw the Daybreak email I couldn’t click on the link fast enough!
    Really looking forward to the rest of Unreleased.
    I did the same as you!!! I can't wait for this album 😊
    On my second listen. Bloody brilliant! Wow! Daybreak is incredible! I'm trying to place each song across their various catalogue, does the booklet say which sessions these are from? I guessed the first track was from the Vulture Street sessions, kinda obvious! The rest I'm a bit scattered. Also $30 shipping to the US is a bit steep to order, hopefully it will come to American retailers down the line. Would love to have this on vinyl!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    On my second listen. Bloody brilliant! Wow! Daybreak is incredible! I'm trying to place each song across their various catalogue, does the booklet say which sessions these are from? I guessed the first track was from the Vulture Street sessions, kinda obvious! The rest I'm a bit scattered. Also $30 shipping to the US is a bit steep to order, hopefully it will come to American retailers down the line. Would love to have this on vinyl!
    Yeah I’ve listened a couple of times and the whole album is so damn good!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    How great a band they were/are when these gems are not up to their standards for an album. Hidden gems like this is the music I live for 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
    BALLBOY said:
    How great a band they were/are when these gems are not up to their standards for an album. Hidden gems like this is the music I live for 
    Could be a testament to the reported in fighting that brought the band down ultimately. I mean, these are probably songs that were fought over for inclusion on their records and didn’t make it. Sounds like for the first time in a long time, this compilation was something they all agreed on. Though initially I think they said it would be a double album. Would have LOVED that! 
    www.cluthelee.com